Exorcism anyone?

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

Exorcism anyone?

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Sri Lanky

Re: Exorcism anyone?

Postby flipflop » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:42 pm

I just finished an old copy of 'Possessed' by Thomas Allen, about the 1949 'exorcism' that inspired William Blatty's 'The Exorcist'. Further investigation suggests a case of Tourettes, possible child molestation (in the boy's infancy, nothing to do with the exorcising Jesuits), and a very manipulative spoilt brat, or a combination of these.

I'm even more sceptical than I was before to be honest

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:28 pm

That's good.

I'm not skeptical whatsoever...and that's good too.
Sri Lanky

Postby flipflop » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:04 pm

"Belief is the enemy" - some cunt

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 pm

It must be true, Motty is always on about dispossession.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:56 pm

My friend wasn't allowed to go to church because of some things his uncle's cloth buddy did to little boys.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 pm

gnaruki wrote:I wasn't allowed to go to church because of some things my uncle's cloth buddy did to me.

Fixed
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:19 am

I thought this was a thread about going on the wagon/detox. I have been trying to get the spirits out of my system for decades. Nothing works.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:04 am

Mikethehack wrote:I thought this was a thread about going on the wagon/detox. I have been trying to get the spirits out of my system for decades. Nothing works.

.....have you tried not drinking?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:13 pm

flipflop wrote:I just finished an old copy of 'Possessed' by Thomas Allen, about the 1949 'exorcism' that inspired William Blatty's 'The Exorcist'. Further investigation suggests a case of Tourettes, possible child molestation (in the boy's infancy, nothing to do with the exorcising Jesuits), and a very manipulative spoilt brat, or a combination of these.

I'm even more sceptical than I was before to be honest

Cheers

Thanks. Was it a good read? Was the possibility of Tourettes and molestation in the book, or did that come from another source? I ask because the description says it's based on the diary of a Jesuit priest assisting in the exorcism, and I wouldn't expect a Jesuit priest to suspect such things (well, the Tourettes part at least). I'm going to look for a used copy...I'm not paying $15.00 for a paperback.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:00 am

It's ok, a good read for what it was. But the author was a dedicated Catholic and accepted 'possession' as the reason this kid acted the way he did. Apart from the poltergeist activity - things moving in the room that the boy couldn't have reached, which were not independently verified anyway - everything that occured could have been done easily by a 13 year old.

The book was wriiten after the discovery of one of the priest's hand written diary, that is the only record he went on. Most of the exorcism team were dead when he researched it. But crucially for me, the youngest priest was still around and gave him eye witness material, and parts of his recollection didn't match the diary events. The boy, now a married man in his forties, was never approached for the book.

Robbie flobbed on everyone's faces, even when his eyes were closed and he was thrashing about the bed, he hit his target every time; the author made a big deal of this, along with the volume of phlegm itself. When I was 13 I was full of flob, and could hit our cat across the room with 95% accuracy.

There was no head turning, projectile green vomit, levitation etc. The voices - said to be the deveel himself - and the sratches that appear on him can be explained as acting, and no-one in the room ever thought to check under the boy's fingernails for flesh after these scratches appeared.

I just finished the Mothman Prophecies, a much better read, and de-bunking those events seems to be a lot more difficult

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:01 am

Sorry, I forgot to mention - the Tourettes etc was mentioned by critics of the book

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 am

There will always be those that chase.
Sri Lanky

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:03 am

coldharvest wrote:
Mikethehack wrote:I thought this was a thread about going on the wagon/detox. I have been trying to get the spirits out of my system for decades. Nothing works.

.....have you tried not drinking?

That's funny ha ha. 666
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Wildrunner2011 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:13 am

Sri Lanky wrote:http://news.sympatico.cbc.ca/local/sk/exorcist_expertise_sought_after_saskatoon_possession_/2baf43c6

Nah, I hear cleansing your colon will do pretty much the same.
"Sometimes it's entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." - Major I.L. Holdridge, USMC
"They say patience is a virtue, why cant Hurry the Fuck Up be a virtue? ."
Wildrunner2011

Next

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe