universal power cord

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

universal power cord

Postby kilroy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:32 pm

i'm thinking something that on one end has interchangeable plugs for a car charger and then the standard outlets for the US, EU, etc (USB would be a nice plus also); and on the other end various charging plugs (micro USB, iPhone, along with as many of the various plug sizes that are used for laptops and small electrical devices as possible). adjustable voltage and polarity would be clutch.

only thing i've seen similar to this are those ugly ass x-connectors/spider connectors that radio shack sells.

anybody used/know of a product similar to what i'm looking for? recommendations?
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Re: universal power cord

Postby gnaruki » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:25 pm

I use my laptop as my mother battery and charge everything off it, i also have two batteries for my laptop. Everthing else I own that I travel with either has a usb or mini-usb power-up slot.

Maybe this?

http://www.amazon.com/Tripshell-WORLD-TRAVEL-ADAPTER-Built-/dp/B005AF0C2G/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335814016&sr=1-4
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 am

I think you will need to take apart some stuff and build a shock proof case for what you're looking for. I'm thinking about doing it myself if I can find the right components and fir it into the right sized box.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue May 01, 2012 12:54 am

kilroy wrote:i'm thinking something that on one end has interchangeable plugs for a car charger and then the standard outlets for the US, EU, etc (USB would be a nice plus also); and on the other end various charging plugs (micro USB, iPhone, along with as many of the various plug sizes that are used for laptops and small electrical devices as possible). adjustable voltage and polarity would be clutch.

only thing i've seen similar to this are those ugly ass x-connectors/spider connectors that radio shack sells.

anybody used/know of a product similar to what i'm looking for? recommendations?

You need a sonic screwdriver.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Tue May 01, 2012 8:39 pm

I was hoping this thread was about strangling people.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby ktrout » Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Hmmm. China uses the same plug as the US, except it's 220. Usually able to use the Euro C/F style plug as well. Lots of electronics can use 220V/50hz in addition to 120V/60hz. Check what the power supply says. If it can take 220V all you need is an adapter. You can get a US/Canada A/B => C/F adapter for a couple of dollars which will have you set up for most places. I got mine at my local big box electronics retailer. The UK uses a different type from continental Europe. Still, just a couple of dollars for an adapter.
iGo has some neat stuff. I have one of their dual car/wall USB chargers. Should work fine with Euro/China power.
Here is a pretty good reference.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Tue May 01, 2012 9:45 pm

12V Bible for boats

ISBN-10: 0071392335

ktrout, check you pm box.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Wed May 02, 2012 3:39 pm

that igo is pretty much exactly what i'm looking for. and they have solar charging device chargers too, very legit, that'd be perfect if they just made one with a little bigger battery to hold in more of that sunlight.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Wed May 02, 2012 3:54 pm

nowonmai wrote:You need a sonic screwdriver.

Nerd. The only reason I know what that is is because my girlfriend is obsessed with Dr. Who (especially David Tennant). The only reason I can deal with it is because I have this inexplicably strong attraction to Billie Piper.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Wed May 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Chimborazo wrote:

Nerd. The only reason I know what that is is because my girlfriend is obsessed with Dr. Who (especially David Tennant). The only reason I can deal with it is because I have this inexplicably strong attraction to Billie Piper.

I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu May 03, 2012 2:43 am

Mikethehack wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:

Explained. I'll be in the shower.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Thu May 03, 2012 2:50 am

kilroy wrote:that igo is pretty much exactly what i'm looking for. and they have solar charging device chargers too, very legit, that'd be perfect if they just made one with a little bigger battery to hold in more of that sunlight.

My 14W Brunton is able to keep a battery draining Droid well charged. I've strapped it across the back of my bicycle on tours, however it was not able to survive the elements while being blown around. They sent me a new one when I got home. It might be able to handle casual hanging out at the camp. I reckon you'd be disappointed with anything less than 10W-15W.
I have a Goal Zero AA battery/USB charger. It's especially good for when you have AA powered devices.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Thu May 03, 2012 1:35 pm

i was curious how those solar rolls performed, too bad they aren't a bit more durable, would be much more preferable having something as light and flexible as that instead of the solid, heavier alternatives.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Thu May 03, 2012 5:18 pm

I use a power inverter that has a standard electrical plug, USB and Cig Plug I bought from the Herrington Catalog for my work truck in Iraq and car at home(s) - it is a simple solution for all your mobile charging needs

http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/r132.html

For foreign plugs I use a locally bought (around 10 bones) power strip

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Thu May 03, 2012 9:10 pm

kilroy wrote:i was curious how those solar rolls performed, too bad they aren't a bit more durable, would be much more preferable having something as light and flexible as that instead of the solid, heavier alternatives.

That's the thing about technology. Don't become dependent on it. Unless it's a stick with a rock tied to it with sinew. Actually, the stick and the sinew could break. Stick with the rock.
Last edited by ktrout on Thu May 03, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!