rugged sunglasses

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: rugged sunglasses

Postby JITW » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:12 am

RYP wrote:
The coolest shades are always Wayfarers or Aviators

I love Aviators, classic Adventurer Look - but not really the best choice for eye protection

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Aviators scream "I'm willing to abuse my authority." Classics.

Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:36 pm

dollar stores and thrift stores. sunglasses break. or pick up OSHA certified specs if shit might be blasting in your face.

EDIT: if you pay over ten bucks for shades you are getting opulent.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Alzheimers kicking in. I have just edited this post because it was almost identical to my post in September 2010
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby gnaruki » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33 pm

Caliban wrote:Alzheimers kicking in. I have just edited this post because it was almost identical to my post in September 2010

Looks like you've seen to much.

Edit: for my above post. I mean't ANSI glasses.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Caliban wrote:Alzheimers kicking in. I have just edited this post because it was almost identical to my post in September 2010

At least you're consistent. I've done that a few times in reading old threads dredged up by some nutter, just at the point that I think that what this thread needs is a good old.... then suddenly I read the early me kicking in with exactly what I just thought. We're all predictable bastards.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:14 pm

gnaruki wrote:

Looks like you've seen to much.

No. What Nowonmai said
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Super Max » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:38 am

Numa Optics! Practically the G-Shock of sunglasses IMHO.

Here is a semi retarded youtube video. Gets the point across however - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqlnMq6uk0
"I myself am a savage, owning no allegiance but to the King of the Cannibals; and ready at any moment to rebel against him."
Super Max

Postby khalampre » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:15 am

I got a pair of Oakley Whiskers. I like them, but they were swiped off my face playing B Ball. I have not bent end of the legs (i have not a clue what they are called) so that they stick to my head a bit better. I am sure that the foul that scratched them would have ruined any other set of glasses.
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:45 am

Wayfarers for cutting about with the norms looking stylish. A pair of sunnies from Boots RRP £25 for the job, as they will surely get lost/abused

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:28 am

flipflop wrote:A pair of sunnies from Boots RRP £25 for the job, as they will surely get lost/abused

Cheers

it's where I buy my reading glasses (£5 RRP) as well
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby gnaruki » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:03 pm

I traded a pair of fake oakleys for an entertainment system once. The tweaker was trying to go legit and he thought i was some idiot frat boy.

$300 for my $5 sun glasses? square deal!

Then i saw him the next week and he was on a 'road trip' asking for gasoline.

As for sunglasses, i need some new polarized ones.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Mon May 07, 2012 2:58 am

The following is my opinion.

Some sort of non-metal wrap arounds are the way to go if you are looking for ruggedness. Super duper UV filtering and polarized. You can find them that float, too. (in water, that is).

If they are metal, they are not rugged. In all likelihood the metal ones with also have nose pads on metal stems. Those ubiquitous metal stems are fucking idiotic. They will inevitably bend. They will survive a few bendings back - then one will break. And a little rubber pad will fall out or otherwise put out of commission.

Sorry to blaspheme, but Aviators are comprised primarily of cool. And Ray Ban Shooters are cooler than straight up Aviators. (Shooters with yellow lenses are stupid looking, though).

Metal shades are heavy and prone to falling off (even with the ear loops). And as they tend to weigh about as much as a brick, they hit the ground pretty hard. They bend, they break, once a lens falls out it may go back in, but it will start to fall out more frequently. And the screws on Ray Bans seem designed to get loose in a hurry.

Given that their brick-like weight is borne substantially by the aforementioned pads-on-stems, they can often be as uncomfortable as all shit. But we pretend that is not a concern as we are such rough housers who don't have time to bleed.

The fact that non-wrap-arounds let light in around the sides puts a big dent in their utility. There you are driving down the road with your mackin' shades, head tilted at some goofy angle so the blinding light does not sneak around the lenses and into your semi-dilated pupil(s). The things we suffer through for beauty.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Mon May 07, 2012 5:09 am

How about a wide brimmed hat, such as the excellent and durable Tilley's? Won't break. Harder to lose, less likely to be stolen and shields the head and neck from the Sun.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Mon May 07, 2012 12:57 pm

Or a motorcycle helmet ...
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!