Lightweight Travel Pants

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Lightweight Travel Pants

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:07 am

I'm here, I'm fashion-forward, get used to it.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:16 am

Detroit_Pierogi wrote:I'm here, I'm fashion-forward, get used to it.

I will fight to the death for your right to wear the gayest trousers possible
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby flipflop » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:17 am

Mark 'lightweight travel pants' in the same category as - 'sun hats', show-off cameras (ostentatiously swinging about the neck), 'daysacks', and my personal favourite - telescopic 'hiking poles' - what the fuck are these latter people on? I chopped a straight tree branch down on the Annapurna trek and only threw it away after jumping back on a bus after three weeks humping around that fucker. I mostly used it to keep my porters in check and on the straight and narrow path, those damnable natives.

When I travel I wear jeans, along with stuff I usually wear at home, unless I'm planning to go halfway up a mountain or doing a spot of underwater knife fighting. Also, if you insist on decking yourself out in 'travel pants' you can pick a copied pair up in any country you visit, that will cost a fraction of the price. The 'western man in third world' look, so beloved of windswept & interesting journalists, for example, is so passe. Come on girls, admit it

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:01 am

flipflop wrote:unless I'm planning to go halfway up a mountain or doing a spot of underwater knife fighting

Cheers

For some of us working stiffs, that ain't too far off.

(in all honesty, I started out doing fieldwork in jeans, but after a while, wearing my wallet in my back pocket chafed my ass after about 7 or 8 miles of woods walking - a chafed ass makes woodsman an unhappy camper, so I ditched the jeans and went commando. Ripstop camo fatigues are the most comfortable pants there are until they get wet. Since I work in all weather conditions, and cotton sucks ass when it is colder than fuck or wet and soggy, that leaves one obvious choice: lightweight tough as shit synthetic (or mostly synthetic) pants with thigh pockets - ahhhhhh no more chafing! I'm still looking for the ideal pair, but even the lower quality ones I have are 1,000,000x better than jeans - and that goes for the el cheapo zip off varieties).

I'll give you an example of how basdass el-cheap-o nylon zip offs are:

I had one gig a few years back where I had to jump on a ferry over to an island and go walk 160 acres of lowland conifer woods (you guys call these moors - same type of ground, but this thick up fully forested so at times you can't see 5m in front of you). There was solid shintangle in there for miles and I stepped on a root mass of a fallen over tree (looked solid enough) and sunk up to my dick in humus inside the root mass (as it was not as solid as it looked). The humus was of course mostly sphagnum moss dominated black organic soil - the same type they use on the laundry soap commercials - dark sooty soggy stuff. All day long, I had to toil in the pokey sticks of hemlock and cedar and some sporadic thorny berry brambles. This is pretty typical stuff for me, except I don't have the ability to just go home and change clothes - it's a day gig and it was paid for in advance.

After the workday was over, my clients and I offered me beers in the truck and it was obvious we were going to get shitfaced the entire rest of the day and night, so I emptied the mag of my .45 pistol I brought over to try and sort-of abide by state law (as it is administered on the island - which mostly it is not), and that is exactly what we did. We wound up going to a couple of bars and ending at a wedding of one of the guy's cousins and I wound up sleeping on the couch of their house as the last ferry of the day was gone. Then after a raging hangover, I had a great breakfast and got back on the ferry.

I got sweaty as hell, but I did not shower.

You could not even tell with those pants that I had ever stepped foot in the woods, much less THOSE woods or in that bog hole. If I would have had jeans on, I would have been completely screwed as if those get the least bit dirty, you have to wash them or you look like a dirty bum and it takes them forever to dry.

I had no idea what the weather would be, so I chose those pants for the day trip (that was the plan anyway) and guess what: it was a good choice.

Sure, nylon zip offs make a man look like a dork - and you better not get them around fire - but they fucking perform in all other categories. Hey - if I can choose a pants that perform and look LESS like a dork, what is gay about that? That is not gay, that is smart!

I still own 2 pairs of jeans. They are probably 10 years old and hardly ever get worn.

Jeans look alright and they are fine for the average layman, but they are pretty shitty for my workday. I try to live to be ready for anything, because my job can pretty much require me to do about anything and I never know when I'm going to run into someone who wants me to take a look at something at any time, so at some point in the past, I just decided to say the hell with jeans and look for pants that are better suited to climbing mountains, running through brambles, shimmying up rocks and wading through or even swimming through water. Everything is lanyarded, even the pencils.

As for trekking poles, well they are great for those with disabilities, mental and/or physical. ;)
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:39 am

Cosmic

But the OP was enquiring about "lightweight travel pants", as in "What trousers should I wear for traveling in, that are, in fact, lightweight?". What you wear whilst emulating Grizzly Adams is irrelevant.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:11 pm

flipflop wrote:Cosmic

But the OP was enquiring about "lightweight travel pants", as in "What trousers should I wear for traveling in, that are, in fact, lightweight?". What you wear whilst emulating Grizzly Adams is irrelevant.

Cheers

Actually, it is very relevant. Because I emulate Grizzly Adams when I travel too.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Ok, we're now at the point where it's relevant to you alone; ok smashing, my point still stands. How do you get that bear through the security check at JFK by the way?

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:09 pm

flipflop wrote:Ok, we're now at the point where it's relevant to you alone; ok smashing, my point still stands. How do you get that bear through the security check at JFK by the way?

Cheers

Pour honey on the security guards.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby warrior/poet » Tue May 01, 2012 6:41 pm

RailRiders.

Ultra-light VersaTac pants.

I swear by them.
"Seems as if the panic is mostly with the media and the government..."
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Tue May 01, 2012 7:22 pm

warrior/poet wrote:RailRiders.

Ultra-light VersaTac pants.

I swear by them.

nice
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby warrior/poet » Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 pm

I was a bit put off by the price... $110... but with a 15% discount and after wearing only one pair for a week in the Honduran mountains... It was well worth it.
"Seems as if the panic is mostly with the media and the government..."
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue May 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Those look pretty good!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Wed May 16, 2012 1:37 pm

You're in Germany, pick up some Wolfskin. Or Craghoppers.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Mikethehack » Wed May 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Q wrote:You're in Germany, pick up some Wolfskin. Or Craghoppers.

Noooo! Jack Wolfskin and Craghoppers are for going to the park and nowhere more serious than that. They're crap.

Fjällräven if you are in Germany or anywhere else around Europe (you can get them in the US too, at last). Not the cheapest, but if you are on the DP road for long months at a time and sitting on rock or sleeping in the dirt, they are hard to beat.

I lived out of them for months at a time, literally. Two pairs was all I needed for very long stretches in the arse-end of nowhere. Pocket city, so you can spread the weight around and strong pockets too. Also have hidden pockets, which are handy in crowded places. Very good severe weather clothing, hot or cold.

http://www.fjallraven.us/
http://www.fjallraven.com/
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Q » Wed May 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Wolfskin pants and Craghopper seersucker shirts did me just fine in Haiti. So did Carhartt jeans, but my nuts felt like they were being boiled in a nuclear reactor.

And I only wore those because MOPP level 4 wasn't an option.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!