The Wire

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Re: The Wire

Postby Fansy » Fri May 04, 2012 6:10 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Sons of Anarchy was as gay as Christmas. The lead chatacter looks like that Kurt Cobain fella and Peggy Bundy dont make for a believable biker chick. Epic fail. But yea, The Wire fookin rocked as far as new skool cop shows go but before declairin it the winner in the New Skool Cop Show Catigory lets not foreget The Shield. That fookin show rocked. I rented them by the season and watched episode after episode till my eyes bled while drinkin beer and smokin weed. Yea baby!

i finally just caught up on seasons 3 and 4 of Sons of Anarchy. Haven't seen 1 and 2. It's a lot better than I had thought from the parts of episodes I had caught prior to sitting down and watching it. originally i thought it was just another prison break type gay fest. it actually has some very likable and real characters (not all, of course). and i disagree with you specifically about those two chars. jackson whatever, the dude has a noticeable canadian accent which, although i'm not sure regarding canadian accents and class stratification, it seems possible that someone who spoke and looked like that could be in a club (and in leadership) in Canada/USA. They do show him to be fairly violent, which i think helps make a pretty-faced protagonist more believable. Peggy bundy is pretty awesome as a biker mom in seasons 3 and 4. but i dont know bout seasons 1 and 2.

I find lots of the dynamics between different gangs and agencies to be a little cheesy. however the inner/intra club relationships and social dynamics are done fairly well. i think, for the general observer at least, the show makes a solid case for and against bike gangs (and likewise for the main characters), whether the overall story is believable or not. most entertainment media based on crime/police/politics have trouble doing that, or just as often don't even try.

EDIT: O, i think the guy that did the Shield was the same guy that did Sons, eh.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:29 am

Fansy wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:Sons of Anarchy was as gay as Christmas. The lead chatacter looks like that Kurt Cobain fella and Peggy Bundy dont make for a believable biker chick. Epic fail. But yea, The Wire fookin rocked as far as new skool cop shows go but before declairin it the winner in the New Skool Cop Show Catigory lets not foreget The Shield. That fookin show rocked. I rented them by the season and watched episode after episode till my eyes bled while drinkin beer and smokin weed. Yea baby!

i finally just caught up on seasons 3 and 4 of Sons of Anarchy. Haven't seen 1 and 2. It's a lot better than I had thought from the parts of episodes I had caught prior to sitting down and watching it. originally i thought it was just another prison break type gay fest. it actually has some very likable and real characters (not all, of course). and i disagree with you specifically about those two chars. jackson whatever, the dude has a noticeable canadian accent which, although i'm not sure regarding canadian accents and class stratification, it seems possible that someone who spoke and looked like that could be in a club (and in leadership) in Canada/USA. They do show him to be fairly violent, which i think helps make a pretty-faced protagonist more believable. Peggy bundy is pretty awesome as a biker mom in seasons 3 and 4. but i dont know bout seasons 1 and 2.

I find lots of the dynamics between different gangs and agencies to be a little cheesy. however the inner/intra club relationships and social dynamics are done fairly well. i think, for the general observer at least, the show makes a solid case for and against bike gangs (and likewise for the main characters), whether the overall story is believable or not. most entertainment media based on crime/police/politics have trouble doing that, or just as often don't even try.

EDIT: O, i think the guy that did the Shield was the same guy that did Sons, eh.

I've just finished watching Seasons 1-3 of SOA. The lead character, Jackson, is actually a British actor, not Canadian. Since I've missed most tv since 1988 I had never seen Katie Sagel (aka Peg Bundy) in anything before, but I think she is great in this series. Most of the characters are well drawn, if sometimes the decisions they make are frustratingly dysfunctional (but then they are bikers after all and it is just a tv show). Overall the characters are well drawn - I esp. like Tig, Gemma, and Jax. I like how they use the prospects for comic relief. The amount of gun play and mayhem are sometimes too over the top to get away with to not attract attention of the national guard and marshal law to be believable, but makes for excellent dramatic effect.

An interesting book on the "ethnography'" of a biker gang was written by Daniel R. Wolf called "The Rebels: A Brotherhood of Outlaw Bikers".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebels_Motorcycle_Club_%28Canada%29

The Rebels MC (motorcycle club) was an outlaw motorcycle club based in Western Canada that was founded in Red Deer in 1968 [1] which became associates of the Hells Angels. It had four chapters; Edmonton, Calgary, Moose Jaw, and Saskatoon, however the 'mother' in Red Deer chapter closed within one year.[2] The Rebels were listed as an Outlaw Motorcycle Gang by Criminal Intelligence Service Canada.[3]

In 1976, the Rebels gained a certain level of notoriety (respect in some circles) due to their much publicized altercations with the Canadian Airborne Regiment when about 40 members of the Airborne showed up with nunchaku, steel bars, baseball bats and blackjacks, and ambushed 23 Rebels at the club bar. After a skirmish, the bruised and battered paratroopers retreated and the Rebels went back to their business.[4]

During the seventies and early eighties, the golden era in Canada for independent one-percenter clubs, the Rebels were the dominant club in the Edmonton area, while another club called the Grim Reapers MC dominated Red Deer and Calgary.[5] [6] In the early eighties, as the Grim Reapers grew more powerful, the Rebels influence declined and were warned not to fly the “Alberta” lower rocker on threat of club warfare. Following this, members of the Rebel’s Calgary chapter wore badges saying “Southern Alberta” as their lower "rocker", and the Edmonton chapter members wore badges saying “Northern Alberta”.[7]

I have an acquaintance in Okanogan County, just north of here that started a charter motocycle club that he called Samaritan Riders that work with different charities (raising money for kids with cancer etc) and do Patriot Guard Rides. They are not outlaw. BUT. When news reached the Bandidos living in the north part of the county along the US-BC border a bit of hell broke loose and he had a bit of run in with them about his charter, colors, patch, rockers etc. These guys take this shit real serious.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby kilroy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:15 pm

The lead character, Jackson, is actually a British actor, not Canadian.

yup, took me forever to realize he was the dude opposite elijah wood in 'green street hooligans'. also a very decent flick.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm

haha he's the greent street hooligans guy. i never knew that. why does he have a canadian accent to me? is my accent sense wrong or did he learn/imitate canadian english instead of american english. canadians/americans familiar with the accent differences and the series chime in.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:51 pm

and why have none of you been talking about spartacus series with the welsh/aussie guy who died. that series is awesome.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Dunno about that particular Spartacus Fansy but thanks for reminding me to mention the Sopranos.
Some of the funniest moments in TV history IMO.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Fenrisco » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:17 pm

SoA got a bit soap-opera for my liking but I might revisit it. And by the way, Chibs' chibs are the real thing, fact fans.

While we're at it I've always thought that a TV series of the Punisher would be a fine thing. Much more appropriate given the (formulaic - no bad thing) source material than the numerous movie adaptations that never quite hit the spot. Q.v. Person of Interest.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

not so old but good anyway

Postby el3so » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Enjoying game of thrones now, a series that has both Tommy Carcetti and Finchie in it can't be bad.

Scene with the kid-king, two whores and a sceptre made me realise I have already watched too much pr0n this lifetime.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Fansy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:36 am

yah i know i thought he was gonna have her stick it in the other one too. a little disappointed/relieved at the same time.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby WillyBlues » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 pm

"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."
WillyBlues
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:09 pm

I started watching the Wire with my girlfriend during Hurricane Sandy. We just finished it.

A good show never needs a thrilling review other than it is just as good or better than everyone says it is.

I really enjoyed Omar and found out that the man who inspired his character has died.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... 7915.story
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JohnnyFishfinger » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Kurt wrote:I started watching the Wire with my girlfriend during Hurricane Sandy. We just finished it.

A good show never needs a thrilling review other than it is just as good or better than everyone says it is.

I really enjoyed Omar and found out that the man who inspired his character has died.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... 7915.story

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr0YFvaT3n4[/youtube]
I don't want to know who you use, as long as they're not complete muppets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJpyHbcXTIs
JohnnyFishfinger
Alien Pircay

Postby Fansy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:14 pm

just finished the series with my wife last week with subs of course. unlike newer shows such as justified, sons of anarchy, true blood, and many others i've already forgotten, we were able to watch to the end of the entire series without it getting all hollywood and plot-driven characters type of shit. was maybe the 3rd time ive seen it; ive memorized all its mistakes and cheesiness now but still probably the most compelling 5 seasons of TV i've seen. being interested in the subject matter tangentially and academically helps. we into deadwood now. good stuff.
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Al Swearengen, the Far West's most lovable scamp.

Dropped the hard-drive so my old stuff is out for now, I find it hard to get excited about any of the new stuff. Downloaded and deleted both breaking bad and sons of anarchy.
Swedish series about a woman prime minister is supposed to be good but there's little to no violence or non-functional nudity in it...
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby AztecDave » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:52 am

I think SOA got a little bit... I dunno what. have passed on that. am waiting to see how Breaking Bad finishes out, though. also waiting for Justified to return. walt goggins, the guy that plays boyd crowder has gotta be one of the best actors out there.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport