Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

Re: Anyone *seen* any good films... lately???

Postby Super Max » Wed May 23, 2012 5:47 am

Black Swan was good for a few girl on girl minutes. Inception was alright. The American was ok. 127 Hours was good. Bronson was pretty solid. Damn, I've got a short memory or I've already backtracked to 2008
"I myself am a savage, owning no allegiance but to the King of the Cannibals; and ready at any moment to rebel against him."
Super Max

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:11 am

Seraphim Falls: Exceedingly cool.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:55 am

Prometheus was beautiful and frustrating

And it had Charlize

"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Prometheus was indeed breathtaking and the thematic symbolism very nicely done - despite one moment of absurdity so bizarrely ridiculous it nearly knocked the whole film out of the sky.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Fenrisco wrote:Prometheus was indeed breathtaking and the thematic symbolism very nicely done - despite one moment of absurdity so bizarrely ridiculous it nearly knocked the whole film out of the sky.

Only one? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0 (Spoilers for those that haven't seen it)
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Skirita » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 pm

vagabond wrote:Only one? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0 (Spoilers for those that haven't seen it)

+10
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." - W.B. Yeats
Skirita
Malus In Se

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:01 pm

vagabond wrote:Only one? ;-)

The "rolling croissant" segment was nearly too much for me. That was just horribly misguided on every level from basic physics upwards (unless we are to believe that the Engineers' spacecraft are constructed from a structurally-impermeable material that weighs next to nothing). The rest of them... That's a hilarious video but to be honest I don't feel a need for complete closure in a film like this; mystery's OK, frustrating is OK. When presented with such an overwhelming artistic spectacle (I go to the flicks maybe once a year so the IMAX 3D version was extremely powerful) to carp about plot trivia seems a bit churlish, like complaining when poetry doesn't rhyme. Lovecraft used the same technique in At the Mountains of Madness - which is essentially the same story - and it's fashionable to consider that a classic (I read Lovecraft when I actually had loads of rats in the walls and ceiling so I don't have fond memories - one night I had to put his short stories down to go behead a big rice paddy rat caught in a glue trap in the kitchen - horribly inhumane but those were the only traps available and it's my kitchen, dammit).

I enjoyed this dissection (tons more spoilers): http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:14 am

The 'rolling croissant' indeed.

I'm also happy w/ a bit of mystery films and tv. I thought that video was funny because it was basically a re-enactment of how my friends and I spent 30 minutes at the bar afterwards talking about. "But what was...?" and "How did they...?" etc etc. Which is fine. Too much these days everyone needs every fucking thing explained and laid out for them rather than just enjoying the ride. Same goes for life.

And Master and Commander is indeed a wonderful, vastly overlooked movie. I wasn't really able to get into the Aubrey/Maturin books but would like to give'm another shot one of these days.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Skirita » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:56 pm

vagabond wrote:Too much these days everyone needs every fucking thing explained and laid out for them rather than just enjoying the ride. Same goes for life.

Yes, but there is a difference between a well-crafted, coherent mystery and an illogical mashup of half-baked ideas. Prometheus was lazy writing, period. Damon Lindelof's "Let's just throw a bunch of cryptic, vaguely mythological references at the audience without a coherent backstory to tie them together and let online fanboys piece together some ridiculous explanation for us" approach to screenwriting might have kept the audience coming back for five seasons of "Lost," but it ultimately ruined that series (fucking purgatory?! really?) and it utterly failed here.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." - W.B. Yeats
Skirita
Malus In Se

Postby vagabond » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Skirita wrote:
vagabond wrote:Too much these days everyone needs every fucking thing explained and laid out for them rather than just enjoying the ride. Same goes for life.

Yes, but there is a difference between a well-crafted, coherent mystery and an illogical mashup of half-baked ideas. Prometheus was lazy writing, period. Damon Lindelof's "Let's just throw a bunch of cryptic, vaguely mythological references at the audience without a coherent backstory to tie them together and let online fanboys piece together some ridiculous explanation for us" approach to screenwriting might have kept the audience coming back for five seasons of "Lost," but it ultimately ruined that series (fucking purgatory?! really?) and it utterly failed here.

I tried up to the third episode of Lost and stopped. Have tried again since but can't really get into that series (despite watching what would be considered 'much worse' tv). I can see your point though. Some of the partial blame for that might lay with his somewhat mentor Mr Abrams who loves his convoluted mysteries a great deal (see his mystery box TED talk).

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Just watched Red Dog. Charming movie, especially for caninophiles (though as the Dragon Lady pointed out if they'd've just taken Red along to the bloody funeral it would've saved the poor animal a bunch of trouble).

Never could get involved in Lost either. If I want that mysterious dislocation / other worlds vibe I'll re-read some of Stephen King's better Dark Tower installments. Or just drive around the coastal fishing villages and military ruins here, produces much the same lizard-brain reaction but in 3D smellovision. I once drove a scooter through the main assembly hall of the notorious, now-derelict Green Island Penal Colony - AKA Oasis Village - reminded me a bit of Sachenhausen-Orianenberg outside Berlin - stray dogs now raise their pups in the old medical clinic though, much better to see the place reclaimed by the jungle than to turn it into a museum.
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:04 pm

The raid (2011 already) is enjoyable, nice just a bit over the top action sequences, screwed up subtitles though.
The host (2006) is kinda the same but with more of a monster twist yet less machetes and dead cops.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Arnezie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Savages was pretty fucking good. Lots of shooting and cool plot !
Arnezie

Postby AztecDave » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 pm

just saw "the artist" on dvd. very good flick.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby skinz0021 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:59 am

Arnezie wrote:Savages was pretty fucking good. Lots of shooting and cool plot !

Waiting for DVD but this is a must watch! Don't have time for overpriced theaters.
RYP-
working this thread harder than a two dollar hooker on shore leave is not going to speed up the delivery
skinz0021

PreviousNext

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport