These United States...

A forum to place the images of heathen souls that you have captured.

These United States...

Postby svizzerams » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Yosemite / Mono Lake

It seems that most of my trips have been abroad, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to start traveling more in the US. I had never spent time in the Sierras. The hiking is superb.

May Lake

Image Image

Mono Lake

Oh Look! It's Half-Dome (and El Capitan)

Image Image
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Re: These United States...

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 am

Cheers for that Svizz.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Woodsman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:46 pm

The U.S. is an awesome place to travel, without question you are right about the hiking in the sierras. The trail up half dome is really cool as it involves climbing a ladder up the steepest part of the trail (not the steepest part of the rock - for sure) and You can take a picture from the top of the rock down the ladder that looks like a ladder to nowhere. I had a bunch of pics that have become lost over time that I took while at Yosemite. It is a cool place, but I am certain that there are places every bit as awesome in Europe and Asia.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Woodsman wrote:The U.S. is an awesome place to travel, without question you are right about the hiking in the sierras. The trail up half dome is really cool as it involves climbing a ladder up the steepest part of the trail (not the steepest part of the rock - for sure) and You can take a picture from the top of the rock down the ladder that looks like a ladder to nowhere. I had a bunch of pics that have become lost over time that I took while at Yosemite. It is a cool place, but I am certain that there are places every bit as awesome in Europe and Asia.

There was an area in Nambia that was formed in a similar manner to the rock found in Yosemite - exfoliative granite - so there were all these boulders that were formed by erosion that are scattered everywhere. Big difference being the lack of glaciation (or recent glaciation in Nambia), the age of the activity (I think the Sierra's are eons younger than the geology in Namibia) and the elevation, of course. There are also areas of basalt flow formations in Namibia which resemble the terrain here in eastern WA characterized by basalt columns - that have now become popular landscaping features in gardens.

Namibia (Erongo Mountains)

Yosemite

Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Return to Photographs, Etchings and Daguerreotypes