Sigh... Iridium 9575 issues

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Sigh... Iridium 9575 issues

Postby thewalrus » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:07 pm

This is not getting as much publicity as it should:

http://www.explorersweb.com/tech/news.php?id=20793

If you have an Iridium 9575, return it for a replacement/repair. Factory defect in the antenna system.

Iridium's mail to resellers

Here goes the mail in full:

"As a follow-up to last week’s Iridium Extreme® communication, we have identified the root cause of the issue and are now able to provide you the following update. A mechanical element on the antenna stem that triggers a deployment sensor has insufficient tolerances which is leading to instances of the sensor not working as designed. We have traced the problem to a vendor manufacturing process and have worked with this vendor to stop the issue from occurring in future production. This issue is isolated to the Iridium Extreme and does not affect the Iridium® 9555.

Unfortunately, we estimate a significant number of shipped units are impacted. We have identified several impacts to the use of the phone. One possible result of this mechanical issue is that a customer is still able to make calls and send messages but the phone’s performance may be reduced even if the antenna is fully extended. Another possible result is that the unit may operate at a power level exceeding the equipment’s authorized FCC radio frequency limits unless the antenna is fully extended.

This issue may not impact all units; however, due to the nature of the issue, it is difficult to determine which units are affected through standard screening processes. Therefore, Iridium strongly requests that partners return all Iridium Extreme phones for replacement. This includes unsold inventory as well as sold and fielded equipment. Partners should not sell existing inventory and should request that customers immediately stop using the phone and return them for replacement. Additionally, the handset may operate at power levels above its authorized limit when the phone is in use and the antenna is stowed (in the retracted or lowered position). Partners should remind customers who use the phone out of necessity until replaced about proper handset use, particularly ensuring the antenna is extended during all calls.

We are happy to report that we have implemented the fix for this issue and are restarting production immediately. We are very confident that Iridium Extreme phones manufactured going forward will perform to specification and be of high level production quality."
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Re: Sigh... Iridium 9575 issues

Postby coldharvest » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks for hipping us to that Mr. thewalrus
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby JITW » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:40 pm

All sat phones suck balls - I have used every model and service and they all suck

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby thewalrus » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 am

Considering the tiny gain (in dBi) of their antennas and their small transmitters, it's a miracle they work at all. Most of my problems with satellite phones have been with people that don't understand the concept of standing outdoors with clear sky. e.g.: Not under a tree, or in a house.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:23 pm

The only thing worse than these handsets are trying to get any signal at all with a BGAN.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby thewalrus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:02 am

The worst thing about a BGAN is paying $5.50 per megabyte. Compared to that, aiming is a trivial problem.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:18 pm

thewalrus wrote:The worst thing about a BGAN is paying $5.50 per megabyte. Compared to that, aiming is a trivial problem.

That is a small price to pay for immediate posting of awesome pictures to Facebook.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!