HEST F 2.0 T3

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

HEST F 2.0 T3

Postby Raven » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:37 pm

I just picked up my HEST F 2.0 T 3..... Incredible blade. Outtand job DPX.

I have a question. What is the Rockwell hardness of the titAnium frame? There is a video on YouTube of an idiot that smashed his HEST F 2.0 a few times with a baton... He mashed the titanium frame lock with only a few hits to a point where the knife no longer locked into place. He said the titanium gave way against the blade steel...how is this even possible ? If titanium is harder than the blade steel, why wouldn't the blade itself suffer damage? Why did the lock give?

The first problem is that he was battoning with a folder....I'm my opinion, that's asking for trouble.

What say you? I have trusted my life to DPX products and will continue to do so as I travel and work in unfriendly dangerous places and environments..I have no doubts.

So back to my original question... What is the Rockwell hardness of the t3's frame?
Raven
mach

Re: HEST F 2.0 T3

Postby diamondcutter13 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Raven wrote:I just picked up my HEST F 2.0 T 3..... Incredible blade. Outtand job DPX.

I have a question. What is the Rockwell hardness of the titAnium frame? There is a video on YouTube of an idiot that smashed his HEST F 2.0 a few times with a baton... He mashed the titanium frame lock with only a few hits to a point where the knife no longer locked into place. He said the titanium gave way against the blade steel...how is this even possible ? If titanium is harder than the blade steel, why wouldn't the blade itself suffer damage? Why did the lock give?

The first problem is that he was battoning with a folder....I'm my opinion, that's asking for trouble.

What say you? I have trusted my life to DPX products and will continue to do so as I travel and work in unfriendly dangerous places and environments..I have no doubts.

So back to my original question... What is the Rockwell hardness of the t3's frame?

DPx Gear says its Titanium alloy actually - 6Al4V Grade 5:

The other side of the handle is one of the strongest titanium alloys on the market. The 6Al4V GR5 alloy-meaning 6% aluminum, 4% vanadium, Grade 5-is used in surgical implants, turbine blades, and military aircraft fuselages. It’s not the hardest material on earth, but it’s some of the hardest you’ll find in commercial knives.

The stuff below on Grade 5 6Al4V suggests a fairly low value of Rockwell 36 which would be far below the advertised D2 blade strength of 60 but could have been heat treated higher after machining I believe. Perhaps RYP will confirm, I am curious myself.

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1547

Titanium Alloys - Ti6Al4V Grade 5

Chemical Formula
Ti6Al4V

Background
This alpha-beta alloy is the workhorse alloy of the titanium industry. The alloy is fully heat treatable in section sizes up to 15mm and is used up to approximately 400°C (750°F). Since it is the most commonly used alloy – over 70% of all alloy grades melted are a sub-grade of Ti6Al4V, its uses span many aerospace airframe and engine component uses and also major non-aerospace applications in the marine, offshore and power generation industries in particular.

The addition of 0.05% palladium, (grade 24), 0.1% ruthenium (grade 29) and 0.05% palladium and 0.5% nickel (grade 25) significantly increase corrosion resistance in reducing acid, chloride and sour environments, raising the threshold temperature for attack to well over 200°C (392°F).

Composition
Table 1. The composition of Ti6Al4V Grade 5.

Content

C <0.08%
Fe <0.25%
N2 <0.05%
O2 <0.2%
Al 5.5-6.76%
V 3.5-4.5%
H2(sheet) <0.015%
H2(bar) <0.0125%
H2(billet) <0.01%
Ti Balance

Key Properties
Physical Properties
Table 2. Typical physical properties for Ti6Al4V.

Property
Typical Value

Density g/cm3 (lb/ cu in)
4.42 (0.159)

Melting Range °C±15°C (°F)
1649 (3000)

Specific Heat J/kg.°C (BTU/lb/°F)
560 (0.134)

Volume Electrical Resistivity ohm.cm (ohm.in)
170 (67)

Thermal Conductivity W/m.K (BTU/ft.h.°F)
7.2 (67)

Mean Co-Efficient of Thermal Expansion 0-100°C /°C (0-212°F /°F)
8.6x10-6 (4.8)

Mean Co-Efficient of Thermal Expansion 0-300°C /°C (0-572°F /°F)
9.2x10-6 (5.1)

Beta Transus °C±15°C (°F)
999 (1830)

Mechanical Properties
Table 3. Typical mechanical properties for Ti6Al4V.

Property
Minimum
Typical Value

Tensile Strength MPa (ksi)
897 (130)
1000 (145)

0.2% Proof Stress MPa (ksi)
828 (120)
910 (132)

Elongation Over 2 Inches %

Reduction in Area %

Elastic Modulus GPa (Msi)
114 (17)

Hardness Rockwell C

Specified Bend Radius <0.070 in x Thickness

Specified Bend Radius >0.070 in x Thickness

Welded Bend Radius x Thickness

Charpy, V-Notch Impact J (ft.lbf)
24 (18)

Fabrication
• Weldability – Fair
• Forging – Rough 982°C (1800°F), finish 968°C (1775°F)
• Annealing - 732°C (1350°F), 4hr, FC to 566°C (1050°F), A.C. F.C. not necessary for bars
• Solution Heat Treating – Forgings
• Ageing – 904-954°C (1660-1750°F), 5 min-2hrs, W.Q. 538°C (1000°F), 4hr, A.C.

Applications
As mentioned previously, this alloy is the most popular of the titanium alloys. It is used for a range of applications in the aerospace, marine, power generation and offshore industries.

Source: Titanium Information Group.
For more information on this source please visit Titanium Information Group.

Date Added: Jul 30, 2002 | Updated: Oct 31, 2011
CDM Titanium and Material Manufactory Articles
Titanium Alloy Selection Guide by CDM Titanium and Materials Manufactory
Titanium Tube and Pipe Specifications, Standards and Applications from CDM Titanium and Material Manufactory
Titanium - Applications
Titanium

As for nuthinfancy batoning it, I was surprised at how quickly it failed but then DPx Gear website clearly states hammering on it voids the warranty, not something I would do with any of my folders (at least not to split firewood) but I am not surprised he did it just to test it to failure.

It is what it is - don't bring a folding knife to do axe and big blade work. If you have to save your life, accept some damage to your nice folder and RYP would probbably give you a new knife if its even halfway a decent story and not ass-hattery just to wreck the blade.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby Raven » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:54 am

Thank you for the reply. You had a lot of good information. Nutnfancy seemed to almost wreck the knife out of spite. When he said he didn't even know who RYP was and had never even heard of him I knew he was just being a shithead.
Raven
mach

Postby pilpte » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:47 am

Raven wrote:Thank you for the reply. You had a lot of good information. Nutnfancy seemed to almost wreck the knife out of spite. When he said he didn't even know who RYP was and had never even heard of him I knew he was just being a shithead.

exactly...i can hammer baton the crap out of a umnumzaan, strider, zt, emerson, etc; and they will ALL fail and be destroyed...WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT PROVE?

all these top brand/top of the line folders exceed what they are supposed to be doing; period, end of story...
pilpte

Postby coldharvest » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:22 am

If you kill one or more bears with your folder I'm sure we could rustle up a t-shirt as well as a new knife.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby RYP » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:24 am

I don't see any actual use of the knife in the review. Just the usual mom's basement set and a random series of likes and dislikes. He seems to get most of the features wrong or adds in little corrections with type later. I see a lot of this on the internet, people tend to have certain biases and rarely use the product except to take a few pictures. The reality is that there are mass market knives and there are well made knives for speciality uses. The DPx and Blackwater line are designed for a very specific user and environment. I noticed he loves the $30 RAT folder and cheap Spydercos. More power to him.

The current folder the direct descendant of the original fixed blade version which comes in Niolox, Sliepner and titanium alloy. The folder comes in D2 and Niolox and soon some more exotic steels for special applications. Once again one knife does not fit all.

People like folders because they are fun and they obviously have limitations when used as a sledgehammer or deliberately broken. The Ti frame is light and strong (as the G10 side of the frame) but hardening titanium doesn't add much benefit. We make a EOD knife that is hardened to around 56 max. Once again Ti is not made to be a blade or "hard" but rather resilient and light.

The DPx HEST will happily go up against any $175 folder on the market that comes with a no questions, life time warranty.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Raven » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:57 pm

I Sold a brand new ZT 301 to buy my HEST F 2.0. The HEST is an equally tough if not tougher folder. The blade shape, ergonomics and features are all useable. A brilliant folder design.i personally enjoy finding different uses for my HESTS and HEFTS.

Nutn is a punk.
Raven
mach

Postby manonamission » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:28 am

[quoteThe DPx HEST will happily go up against any $175 folder on the market that comes with a no questions, life time warranty.][/quote]

AMEN to that , Sir !
manonamission
mach

Postby JITW » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:29 pm

RYP wrote: I noticed he loves the $30 RAT folder

That is a fucking great knife for the money

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:28 pm

The cheap Taiwanese RAT is a constant best seller. Sometimes you just want a cheap knife with a decent sized handle and blade.

I wouldn't venture into a jungle with one but then again I might let my $5 store bought parang do most of the work and let my HEST folder do the fine cutting work. Its a tool and should be used for whatever the owner deems appropriate.

If you want to buy a $400 Sebenza and cut it in half with a 30 cent hacksaw blade in your mom's basement. You can do that too.

How do I cut an oreo?

I recently made some decorated cupcakes that required oreo halves. I tried several methods:

serrated knife - lots of crumbs, both halves would shatter
plain knife (slowly) - lots of crumbs, both sides of both halves would shatter
plain knife (quickly) - less crumbs, typically one side of one half would shatter
What's the best way to go about cutting my oreos without turning them into a (delicious) crumbly mess?
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Kurt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:44 pm

RYP wrote:The cheap Taiwanese RAT is a constant best seller. Sometimes you just want a cheap knife with a decent sized handle and blade.

I wouldn't venture into a jungle with one but then again I might let my $5 store bought parang do most of the work and let my HEST folder do the fine cutting work. Its a tool and should be used for whatever the owner deems appropriate.

If you want to buy a $400 Sebenza and cut it in half with a 30 cent hacksaw blade in your mom's basement. You can do that too.

How do I cut an oreo?

I recently made some decorated cupcakes that required oreo halves. I tried several methods:

serrated knife - lots of crumbs, both halves would shatter
plain knife (slowly) - lots of crumbs, both sides of both halves would shatter
plain knife (quickly) - less crumbs, typically one side of one half would shatter
What's the best way to go about cutting my oreos without turning them into a (delicious) crumbly mess?

Oreos need to be cut with a cleaver that has a rounded edge so that you can cut them by a "rocking" motion.

You all can thank me when you are fat.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!