To circumcise or not to circumcise.... recommendations?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

To circumcise or not to circumcise.... recommendations?

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:17 am

So, I'm a moron and got pregnant, had a shotgun marriage to a guy I hardly know, and it turns out I'm having a boy. Which means this kid is headed for a second dangerous place (his first being the abortion clinic; he made it through that OK). And that's the hospital, where they'll cut off part of your dick unless mom tells them not to. Most of my IRL friends are (a) childless and (b) female, so I figured I'd ask your opinions.

Anyway, back when FS Jr. was a couple ounces of barely differentiated tissue, my then-boyfriend was like, "Name it whatever you want, do whatever you want to its foreskin, I don't care." Now that it's like, "Name it CBT the fourth (he's CBT the third) and cut that shit off."

Obviously, I'm a hippy, and hippies don't snip. And an atheist, not a Jew or Muslim, so there's no reason for a snip. Plus, I've spent half of my adult life living in countries where no one is circumcised, sucked and fucked plenty of whole cock, and it doesn't make much difference to me either way. But, I've heard circumcised guys say they wish they hadn't been snipped plenty of times - one gentleman, back in the day, even made me swear I'd never get my kid cut. I've never heard an uncircumcised guy say they wished they were cut, however. I figure this is because if there is some kind of problem with the foreskin - it's too tight or whatever - you can get it removed any time.

So my plan was to let the kid decide. Keep him whole, and if he chose later in life to get circumcised, offer to pay for it. So, yesterday, my now-husband changed his mind and went absolutely ballistic about it. He's never spend much time out of the USA, and told me at the top of his lungs that only "niggers" (yes, this marriage has a 90% chance of ending in divorce, but I needed health care if I was going to have this kid) are uncircumcised. So I looked up some stats and only about 55%-65% of boys being born these days in the USA get snipped, blacks are the only racial group where circumcision is on the rise, and almost no one outside the USA, the Middle East, and parts of Canada gets it done. Heck, in parts of Europe, it's a crime.

But, I'm also female, so IDK what's up with that shit, really.

So.... I'm looking for your recommendations. Some website said it made a difference in combat - soldiers who aren't circumcised sometimes get infections down there. That sounds nasty as fuck. I figured you all would know. Another website said some guys have a hard time keeping their dicks clean, which also sounds gross. But I've never run into a guy with that problem. I guess it reduces your chances of getting HIV if you have sex with HIV+ people, so there's that. My husband says the other kids will laugh at him for having a foreskin, which seems unlikely but American kids are assholes so who knows. Anyway, the upshot is that I slept on the couch last night because of the fight, and still think I should let the kid decide whether or not to cut off a piece of his own dick when he's old enough to masturbate and figure out what his private parts can do. Any advice or reasoning, from either perspective, would be much appreciated.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Re: To circumcise or not to circumcise.... recommendations?

Postby Naveen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:17 pm

I would not circumcise my children, not because there are terrible consecuences (as fas as I know) but because I can't think any good reason to do it (I'm not religious, I don't consider male genitals unclean, I'm not from a culture that thinks cutting your foreskin is a sign of manhood, etc). Seems gratuitous to me, and (I think) all the suposed health benefits are something that a good hygiene and sexual education could also acomplish. In fact, personally, I think it's quite barbaric. BUT... for the sake of marital harmony, I wouldn't enter in an argument about that, arguing about studies done in South Africa that prove this or that... It's not a life or death decision (and I think this is the most important thing your husband should understand) so there is no reason to go nuts over this (specially for non religious people). If needed I would go to an urologist, pediatrist or just some important-looking dude in a white coat and listen to the pros & cons he says... Considering that, for some reason, your husband seems to go nuts over this, I think this is an argument that requires finesse and not scientific cherry-picking.

I'm not circumcised and I can't think any reason (non-medical, that is, like phimosis) why I would want to be circumcised, mostly because, as an adult, the idea is scary.
Naveen
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Would you let someone else decide what to do with your own vagina?.....didn't think so.
The obvious answer is let him decide when he gets older if it's all that important. Circumcision is nothing more
than a modified tribal sacrifice ritual to appease an imaginary yet still somehow misunderstood Sky God.
None of my kids had it done and you know they're all healthy and happy.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:53 pm

Having just had this debate regarding my son, we decided not to. If we were going to be living in a more remote dirty area prone to syphilis and HIV I might reconsider. But since we will all soon be living in the US, my not let him keep his foreskin and enjoy the benefits therein.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby AztecDave » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:17 pm

this is all bullshit. snip away. for all the health reasons pediatrics say. you gonna listen to them or russell crowe? if for no other reason than he'll otherwise grow up looking like some weird turtle neck dicked euro kid.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:36 pm

AztecDave wrote:this is all bullshit. snip away. for all the health reasons pediatrics say. you gonna listen to them or russell crowe? if for no other reason than he'll otherwise grow up looking like some weird turtle neck dicked euro kid.

You just don't like the taste.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby TrOuBLeDbOyXD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:02 pm

my professional advice would be to advise you not to do it

aside from looking cool the 4skin was invented to protect the penis from the elements , plus you can do cock docking with your friends
im a brah :D
TrOuBLeDbOyXD

Postby kilroy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:30 pm

not snipping can't really hurt him til he comes of age enough to figure that shit out for himself. your first impulse was correct. hubby probably started caring when he realized he was gonna be around the kid. and if y'all can't have a civil convo about something that insignificant, chances are the kid is gonna have more serious problems than the intactitude of his junk mud flap.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Then there is the whole dick cheese thing. My parents had me done as a small child and I am glad they did. Not only have been told on a few occasions that I have a fine lookin dick there is also the dick cheese factor. I don't even want to think about how much dick cheese a dick would produce if aforementioned dick was in some kinda snug Levis cut offs while running shaw for 12 hours with big fat Americans in the back in 30 + Celsius + the BKK kinda humidity we get in T.O. in summer. And speaking of BKK, how much dick cheese would a dick produce if sat in a Thai train coming from Changers down to BKK with no A/C and the fans brok and the temp in your crotch is hotter than a sauna. followed by the seemingly endless hike round KSR for a cheap dive to crash in. If the kid aint gonna be a rickshaw runner or world traveller he might be fine. But you never know.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby JITW » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 am

Aren't you a bit old for getting knocked up accidentally?

But anyways - yes - cut that cock, your son will thank you when he starts stabbin' ho's

On a serious note - when they are young (2 to 6) it is painful for a young boy if he is not cut and he will most likely have infections (not joking here, based on experience), and the 'hood' may get so tight you may accidentally rip his cock hood when your are washing him - seeing your boy cry after that is fucking heartbreaking

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:12 am

JITW wrote:Aren't you a bit old for getting knocked up accidentally?

But anyways - yes - cut that cock, your son will thank you when he starts stabbin' ho's

On a serious note - when they are young (2 to 6) it is painful for a young boy if he is not cut and he will most likely have infections (not joking here, based on experience), and the 'hood' may get so tight you may accidentally rip his cock hood when your are washing him - seeing your boy cry after that is fucking heartbreaking

~JITW

fuck off
I've got 3 boys, you're just guessing
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:15 am

Well, thanks for your advice, gentlemen!

AztecDave wrote:this is all bullshit. snip away. for all the health reasons pediatrics say. you gonna listen to them or russell crowe?

Russell Crowe is so fat and disgusting, how could he even see his own dick? Please. I didn't even know he was uncut, and never wanted to know. Anyway, I am listening to a bunch of pediatricians - the USA doesn't recommend it, the thing is that we haven't criminalized it, either, like some European countries. There's a 5% chance he'll have problems with it (tight foreskin, infections, etc), and a 5% chance that there will be problems with the circumcision (too much is lopped off, infections, etc). 10-15% of men have it done worldwide, and (stats vary) between 30-50% of boys in the USA (my midwife gave me the 30% stat, the 50% comes from wikipedia) are getting it done, so if we get him snipped, he'll probably be in the minority at school.

But, yeah, like JITW says, some kids do have problems with it. One in twenty (according to pro-circumcision people). And that's why I wanted to wait - if he's in the percentage that does have a tight or otherwise problematic foreskin, I can get it done then. Muslims wait until the kid is 11, without anesthesia or anything, and it's apparently not that big of a deal to wait even longer. Even adults are sexually active within three weeks afterward.

JITW wrote:Aren't you a bit old for getting knocked up accidentally?

Seriously. I thought I had started menopause for the first few weeks, since I hadn't had much in the way of unprotected sex and didn't get nauseous or anything. Imagine my surprise.

Naveen wrote:for the sake of marital harmony,

That's probably the best argument *for* circumcision. My midwife is like, "Some men won't listen to women on this issue, even if women who work in pediatrics, so there's probably nothing I can say to him, either." So, she gave me the phone number of a couple of men who "give the talk," both of them circumcised medical professionals who insisted that the procedure be done on their own sons, despite the medical recommendations not to, and who botched the circumcision, in one case severely. My husband doesn't want to talk to them, though, he's like, "Lots of surgeries are botched, not just circumcision." So, I don't know. I cleared off the bed in the spare room so I wouldn't have to sleep on the couch, and it's much more comfortable.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby coldharvest » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 am

One in twenty (according to pro-circumcision people). And that's why I wanted to wait - if he's in the percentage that does have a tight or otherwise problematic foreskin, I can get it done then.

I know you're hawt and all but I find your reasoning brain so goddamn sexy.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby el3so » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:44 am

Doesn't quite sound like a match made in heaven 'skies. Good luck.

FWIW "dick cheese" is not sweat-related, it's dead sperm mister Shaw. Try showering more and touching yourself less.
grow up looking like some weird turtle neck dicked euro kid.
Must be some far-off planet where people mocking you for the way your penis looks, do not get called out as faggots.

OT: why bother?
It's cheaper and easier not to do it, the hygiene argument is BS, diseases are treatable by medication (seriously, less risk of HIV+?), the idea of "lasting longer" is a myth propagated by the Elders of Zion and, heck, if need be it can always be done at a later stage in life through a minor medical operation.

Unless of course you care about other people's opinion on how your your kid's dong looks...
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44 pm

FWIW "dick cheese" is not sweat-related, it's dead sperm mister Shaw. Try showering more and touching yourself less.

Fair enough if ya wanna be technical. But still a sweaty bollocks and an uncircumcised wiener can't be a good thing.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe