superquite PC casing? - is it worth it?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

superquite PC casing? - is it worth it?

Postby Dr. V » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm getting a pc custom built - is it worth paying around £50.00 (approx $100) for a super quite casing?

Never heard of it before but have a vague memory of a colleague saying it was the best thing he ever invested in.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Re: superquite PC casing? - is it worth it?

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Go for the optional cork screw.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby JITW » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:30 pm

If it is some sort of a high-speed gaming, video editing or has a bunch of video cards then the 50 is worth it so it doesn't sound like a lawn mower at your feet

If it is just a computer for surfing the web then no

Just curious, why not a laptop?

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:04 pm

JITW wrote:
Just curious, why not a laptop?

~JITW

Cos I already have three laptops of varying different sizes to use when I'm travelling and an iphad and a htc phone thing which theoretically does e-mail and the internet.

And I don't like writing on laptops for a whole day / days on end. Even when you add a keyboard, mouse or stand to make the screen the right height its a pain to spend 10 hours a day working on.

Having spent over £600 on the thing getting the 'right' spec I decided I could live without any other bells and whistles.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby Kurt » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Here is what I do when building a PC:

Invest in the best case possible. This would include a "quiet" one but not so much for the quietness but that the quiet case will have better more durable materials, better and easier to replace fans (you want good fans as a failure will kill your hard drive very fast). Ideally this should be made of a heat dissipating material like aluminium. The case goes obsolete the slowest. I am still using a ten year old case for one of my computers and I see no reason why I cannot use it for another ten years (yet).

Next is the power supply. A good one is worth the investment because it also goes obsolete very slowly compared to other technology. Plus a high quality one will be more likely to protect the precious Hard Drive with your data from a power surge.

If you want basic writing and internet stuff then get a good motherboard but get a cheap one. Get one with what was a good processor two years ago and then use the savings to get as much RAM as possible. This will make replacement easier should it fail and the increased RAM will make the motherboard stay active and capable much longer than a default setting. Double the current default...like if 4GB ram is used on all laptops now, get 8GB or more for your desktop.

Hard drives are cheap now so get 4 of them. 2 for a RAID configuration that makes it so if 1 Hard drive fails the other hard drive takes its place. Have the third hard drive as the replacement ready for the RAID one and the fourth one used in a "USB toaster" for backup of data, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX ... B001A4HAFS

Get two backup cheap keyboards and two backup cheap mice too. One beer spill can be corrected in minutes if you have these on hand.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby thewalrus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:36 am

Get a case that uses a low speed, high airflow 140mm fan. The smaller a PC case fan is, the higher pitch the noise and the louder. There are some very, very quiet 120 and 140mm fans. If you want a 'budget' quiet case don't go below $60 (sans power supply), a good case is more like $120 to $140. Don't skimp on the power supply. Get something that's 80 plus "gold" or "platinum" rated, those are measures of the power factor efficiency. Minimum $80 for a power supply for a PC without any extra gaming video cards, more like $150-$225 for a 800W+ power supply. If you get a good case it can last for many, many years through multiple upgrades.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!