Winter coats

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Winter coats

Postby LatrunculusRex » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:29 pm

A cheap heavy coat isnt going to cut it in the Arctic. These monkeys from the south simply have no clue.

Dont know where ur at in Canada but the one sure fire way to stay toasty no matter where u are at is to layer ur clothes. You probably just forgot but long johns a t-shirt a shirt and a sweater is hard to beat.

But if you dont care about the cost Arcteryx (www.arcteryx.com) is the bomb. A waterproof shell and a hardfleece to go underneath it and ur golden. Ive worn the shell in the arctic and the tropics and its ironclad.

Anyways welcome back dude. Stay warm.
LatrunculusRex
mach

Postby bearanddragon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Yeah, i'm in the market for a winter coat as well now. Something casual and in a drabby color (grey, black, brown, etc.), and preferably under $80, nothing that makes me look like the Michelin man, and something that can take a bit of a beating.

Just don't want to buy some neon color North Face crap (sorry, hope not to offend someone too much by that). ..
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:35 pm

bearanddragon wrote:Yeah, i'm in the market for a winter coat as well now. Something casual and in a drabby color (grey, black, brown, etc.), and preferably under $80, nothing that makes me look like the Michelin man, and something that can take a bit of a beating.

Just don't want to buy some neon color North Face crap (sorry, hope not to offend someone too much by that). ..

I never wear the neon North Face crap except for when I had to borrow a coat to go up a mountain. One thing I will say for them is when you are used to wool and leather the neon stuff is so damn light I can totally see why people wear those ugly things.

Wouldn't want to get too close to a campfire with them though but I am told now that no one has campfires while camping anymore anyway (the best part of camping IMO).

If $80 is your budget I would start to look at e-bay for something wool. There is this place and NYC on Park Place called Tents & Trails and when they have a discount sale they really have a discount sale (small store, packed to the brim so they like to really make sure old inventory leaves) so if you are in NYC you might want to check that place out.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby AztecDave » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 am

bearanddragon wrote:Yeah, i'm in the market for a winter coat as well now. Something casual and in a drabby color (grey, black, brown, etc.), and preferably under $80, nothing that makes me look like the Michelin man, and something that can take a bit of a beating.

what about a solid color field jacket from an army-navy surplus store? for the money they aren't bad, make sure you get one w/ a liner. in all my military years i thought they were pretty good.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 am

So what did you end up getting?

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Kurt wrote:If $80 is your budget I would start to look at e-bay for something wool.  There is this place and NYC on Park Place called Tents & Trails and when they have a discount sale they really have a discount sale (small store, packed to the brim so they like to really make sure old inventory leaves) so if you are in NYC you might want to check that place out.

Yes, Tents & Trails is a great store. Even at regular retail prices, I'd still shop there over the big name sporting goods stores. I like the staff, and I like cramped and funky shops with a cat in the basement.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 am

Devlin wrote:I have always done well with Patagonia and Carhartt depending on the location and the activity.

+1 on the carhart, might not be fashionable but very durable.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Freyja » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:18 pm

I would say Patagonia
Ain't nobody got time for that
Freyja

Winter coats

Postby russlits » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 am

BABY BOYS WINTER COATS- ONE FROM NEXT AND ONE MYLEEN KLASS BOTH 6-9 MONTHS

Baby K all in one winter suit by Myleen Klass 6-9 months in Excellent condition As good as new Hardly worn by my little boy
Black with big silvery/grey fury hood

Have a picture to email you if interested just send me email address - ВЈ15

Also have boys blue puffa jacket from NEXT - worn a handful of times - excellent condition 6-9 months - ВЈ10

Feel free to text me on 07794 675510 - i live in southend
russlits

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe