Antidepressants in the tap water?

Exploration of Conspiracy Theories from Perspective of Esoteric Traditions

Moderator: yorick

Antidepressants in the tap water?

Postby friendlyskies » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 pm

So, as this endless pregnancy wears on and on (and on, and on), I've found that I enjoy passing my early morning insomnia by researching the various diseases, disorders, and disabilities that I might have bequeathed to my unborn child because I couldn't resist that piece of nitrite-loaded bacon or mercury-filled sushi. Last week, I discovered the wonderful world of autism.

Now, you probably know at least something about autism. It's a spectrum disorder, ranging from kids with IQs of 70 and an almost total inability to communicate or express emotion, to people with Asperger's Syndrome, characterized by a high IQ, difficulty socializing or picking up body language, and a tendency to be obsessive. (I bet a quarter of all BFCers could be convincingly diagnosed with Asperger's.) It starts showing up, often with no prior warning, at between 18 months and three years of age, and no one knows what causes it.

The statistics are kind of amazing. As of 2011, it affects 1:88 children (1:54 boys and 1:252 girls) born in the USA, about ten times the global average. But, there are apparently no country-by-country statistics available online, save for a few first-world countries. So if it's something related to, say, vaccines, antidepressants, certain types of pollution, or other first-world issues, you'd never be able to tell.

The really weird thing? When autism was first identified in the 1950s, there was about one case in every 10,000 births. By the late 1960s, that had quintupled to 5:10,000. Then, this happened:

Possible causes include: Genetics, paternal age, breastfeeding, not breastfeeding, cell phones, getting a urinary tract infection or high fever while pregnant, proximity to freeways, dairy products, gluten, meat with antibiotics in it, processed food, household chemicals, pesticides, children's television programming, "cry it out" parenting (like, when you let the kid cry instead of picking him or her up, to foster independence), vaccines, and antidepressants.

Now, there's evidence for all these things contributing to autism. For example, if you take an autistic kid off of wheat and gluten, s/he usually shows a dramatic improvement in symptoms. There's a clear correlation between the likelihood of one child to get autism if a sibling or other relative has it. The rise in autism seems to mirror the rise in availability of children's television programming. But the ones that get the average conspiracy theorists' heart pumping are those implicating Big Pharm.

If you like slutty comedians, you're probably familiar with one woman's much-maligned crusade to have research done on the relationship between vaccines and autism. Interestingly, while this is the fastest-growing disease in the USA, and affect primarily boys (slightly more white boys than blacks or Hispanics, no less), it has a very slim federal research budget - $169 million per year, about .55% of total federal research grants. Compare this with the proposed $18 billion federal program to arm and train teachers to use guns in public schools, and/or provide security guards for public schools, to stop mass shootings that kill less than ten children per year. Former Playboy Playmate Jenny McCarthy felt that more research should be done on vaccines.

Now her kid, along with lots of kids (including the son of a prominent autism researcher who had defended vaccines as safe, but has now changed his tune) began showing symptoms of autism right after the 18-month vaccines, which is right on schedule for when autism starts to appear, but still. And, the number of childhood vaccines recommended in the USA has risen concurrent with the rise in autism (7-8 in the 1960s and 1970s, 36 today), so it made sense to look into it. So, a bunch of studies were done and there was absolutely, positively, no causal relationship discovered between vaccines and autism, although mercury was banned from all US vaccines, just because. And every mainstream article you read about it brings up Jenny McCarthy as a "celebrity idiot" who tricked women into not getting their kids vaccinated on time and causing death and destruction blah blah blah.

ANYWAY. Since my kid has several risk factors for autism going in (dad is old, I'm old, I got a UTI, dad used flea medicine on the dogs, I'm kind of Aspergery), I'll be opting for the "hippy vaccine schedule," which only some pediatricians offer. Basically, instead of getting 36 vaccinations by age four, it spreads the vaccines out over seven years. Hey, it's my kid and my aluminum foil.

The other Big Pharm-threatening conspiracy theory is antidepressants. Like children's television and vaccinations, the rise of antidepressant use has skyrocketed concurrent with the rate of autism, about 400% since 1980. Antidepressants are also concentrated in breast milk, which has been implicated by various studies (the longer you breastfeed in the USA, you get a slightly higher chance of giving your kid autism; it's apparently the opposite in Latin America, where antidepressants are used less often, but no hard data was available). But, thus far, very few studies have been done on any relationship between antidepressants and autism, though those that have been done do suggest a clear link. Moreover, antidepressants are scientifically designed to change the brain. And, since antidepressants seem to drive adult men crazier than women (see Aurora, Newtown, Fort Bragg, Virginia Tech, Columbine, etc for more on that), the sex difference seems telling. Interestingly, my doctors and doula (like a junior midwife) both told me that antidepressants were safe during pregnancy. I don't consider antidepressants safe ever, I think it's insane to take them unless your depression is totally debilitating and you've already spent six months eating only health food and exercising rigorously. And you're not even supposed to take a fucking Tylenol during pregnancy.

So, here's the real clincher. The reason WHY they say they can't do a big huge study about antidepressants is because they're in the tap water! Seriously. If you take antidepressants, you're pissing most of them out and giving them to the rest of us. Which means, since basically everyone in the USA is on anti-depressants all the time, no study could every really conclusively link it to autism. Alex Jones and Prison Planet did a very complete article about antidepressants in the water, with links to less embarrassing sources: http://www.prisonplanet.com/scientific- ... utism.html

So. To make a long story even longer, I got to thinking. Fluoride in your tap water is a kind of silly conspiracy theory imo, just because it goes back to that largely mythological thing about how Nazis used it to make people more stupid and easy to control. But scientific studies show that it mostly just keeps you from getting cavities. Antidepressants, however, are proven to make people more stupid and easy to control - if you can't get bummed out by anything, because you've been rewired to be happy and mellow no matter what's going on, you're going to be easy to walk all over. I can shaft you for $1000 and you can just pop a couple of Xanax and be like, "Whatever man, someone just posted this inspirational quote on Facebook with flowers and kittens in the background and I'm fine with it." Unlike fluoride, which is probably just a general toxin and at worst a blunt psyops tool perfected when the Pope was but a child, antidepressants are scientifically designed to keep you smiling no matter what.

Doesn't that kind of just make sense? Why Americans were pretty much totally OK with the whole dog-and-pony show of an election cycle? The bank bailouts? Why poor people are so easy to convince that rich people should pay a lower tax rate than they do? And so on? OK, I'll shut up now....
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Re: Antidepressants in the tap water?

Postby Ultra Swain » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:00 pm

I thought with my previous history my kid would be born with all kinds of flipper limbs and emotional disorders. I was heavily radiated with cobalt and radioactive iodine for various cancer treatments. Throw in my former 24 party people lifestyle and it was anxiety central from my wife's first missed period until I quit worrying and learned to love the bomb so to speak. But I will not raise a fucking Paleo-kid and buy books on attachment parenting. My experience watching children die from totally preventable diseases made me a vaccine positive parent. It's seems that western people abhor a vacuum. That with the absence of legitimate dangers we fill the gap with an ever increasing number of psuedo-science based theories.We basically web-MD ourselves into the ER. Alex Jones? Are you serious? Would you trust his political analysis? So why is the health of your kid different? There is already so much to freak about yet to come. Give yourself a break.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby friendlyskies » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Oh yeah - I've spent enough time in the third world to be 100% pro-vaccine. But I have no problem stretching 36 shots out over seven years rather than four, especially if doctors are cool with it. Just in case. I only had 7 or 8 vaccinations until I was an adult and turned out just fine, Chainsaw can hold out a couple extra years.

But the crux of the post is that there are so many antidepressants in the USA's water supply that scientists can not create a test to see if there's a relationship between antidepressants and autism. Because everyone who drinks tap water gets a big enough dose of antidepressants to affect a fetus. That's kind of bizarre to me, and creepy above and beyond any possible autism link. Just because I would never, ever do antidepressants, that's one class of drugs that sketches me out.

Think about some of the weird cultural hiccups that happen in the USA, too. For instance, how can people be really fat and still happy with themselves? It's weird, you always see this stuff about how you should love your body even if you're obese, how celebrities are happy with themselves despite being obese. Uh, sure, I guess, but maybe if you weren't so unreasonably happy and accepting you'd take up jogging. We should be happy to make $7.25 per hour even though you can't meet your basic needs at the current cost of living in the USA at those wage, but we'd never think about unionizing because at least we have a job.... and people are totally happy with that, they will fight for the "right to work" at wages so low that they can't even afford health insurance. They happily watch these television shows that really should be unwatchable - Real Housewives, Honey Boo Boo - and have no time for international news or whatever.

OK, maybe all those things can be explained in other ways, but after all the conspiracy theories about fluoride in the water supply causing people to be brain-dead and easily controlled by the media, it struck a chord. Fluoride doesn't "dull the brain" and was never used by Nazis to pacify Jewish ghettos: http://www.politifact.com/florida/state ... nazi-myth/

But obviously a lot of people have latched onto this idea, that there's SOMETHING in the water that's making people unreasonably happy with things that ought to turn their stomachs - McRibs, obesity, reality TV, the US election cycle, the endless wars in Iraqistan, and so on. Maybe they just have the wrong culprit - it's not fluoride, it's antidepressants. Which, after all, were scientifically designed to keep people calm and cheerful no matter what their brains were telling them.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Ultra Swain » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

So before anti-depressants existed no one ever stood for any of that shit? ;)
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 am

Jenny McCarthy - lots to love there! Glad to hear you are reviewing this stuff. Chemicals (the mam made variety) are Americans greatest error. Hopefully chainsaw comes out unscathed.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:34 am

P.S. municipal water resources blow. Good filtration is a necessity, or go with a well if you can!
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby muskrat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 pm

I dunno, we are essentially Ren & Stimpy joy joy, happy happy down here too which is a bit spooky. We use dams with natural rain water for drinking then its flushed like 50K's out to sea, so the cycle is 100% unpolluted. Unlike Euro land where there is one river that is the communal drinking/sewer for lots of countries it contains lots of drug traces (supposedly).

Immunisation, I'd definatley do that & breast milk + I'm a big fan of salt WITH IODINE. No iodine makes kids drop IQ points permanently.

Autistic kids are drawn to antisocial calling like the computer industry apparently, which probably makes for a lot a autistic interbreeding. Maybe this is a Darwinian thing where emotions will be bred out of humans. I think this will be a trend to watch.

Having said that half of the people I know I suspect have some type of autism / assburger affliction. The other half are on antidepressants.

An ex business partner of mine was 80y/o when he had a kid to a 40y/o barmaid he was screwing. The kid is a beautiful normal child.

Any day now.
the Rat is less about criminality per se but the importance and sheer fun of using one's intellect, skill and willpower to carve a survival niche into whatever inhospitable environment one finds oneself. Damn the imposed morality of the overlords. F
muskrat
BFCus Regularus

Return to Tin-Foil Hat Cafe