Playa Del Carmen

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Playa Del Carmen

Postby Misanthrope » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Full-bore, low-speed, high-drag Griswold spring break at the end of the month.

I've packed the zip off leg pants, neon Eddy Bauer fanny pack, florescent Speedo banana hammock, scented sun screen, wow-you-can-actually-see-this-shit-from-outer-fucking-space zinc oxide, 40 pound fish-white beer-belly, and arrogant-condescending attitude..

I think I still need to pick up an REI boonie cap and a pair of fake Oakleys...

Working on my Spanglish. "Donde este la casa de pee-pee?"

I plan on having the 11 and 13 year old pull security while I swill cheap tequila. I'm not concerned regarding the Bride, she's a nasty, wretched, spiteful, straight-razor toting woman.. She'd put the fear of Jah into MS 13.

So, kids, what am I missing?

Recommendations, warnings, rants? People to do, sights to see?
Misanthrope

Re: Playa Del Carmen

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:34 pm

First off, I'm sorry.

But, as long as you're stuck there, there are fun things to do. Definitely take the kids to Hidden Worlds (http://www.rainforestadventure.com/hidd ... ds_mexico/) or Xcaret (http://www.xcaret.com) natural theme parks. They're expensive and a bit Disneyed out, but much cooler than your average Orlando nightmare.

If you're on some kind of a package deal, your hotel probably includes day trips to Tulum and/or Chichen Itza, which you should definitely take. If not, Tulum is an easy day trip by bus or shuttle from Playa Carmen, you don't need to book a tour. The ruins are mediocre, but the beach element makes it nice. Chichen Itza is probably cheaper and easier on a guided tour. It's overrated and crowded, though - if you don't get a deal on the tour, think about going to Coba instead - it's much cooler and less crowded, and it might actually be a little bit closer to you. It's a huge, only partially excavated city that was ten times the size of Chichen Itza, and you can rent bikes and go through dirt trails through the jungle and pyramids and whatnot.

If your family likes to scuba dive or even just snorkel, well, there are probably all kinds of day trips to Cozumel and I've never covered Cozumel. But close to Cancun, there's an Island, Isla Mujeres, that has the world's largest underwater art exhibit, designed to be a reef where you can dive - I bet there are day trips with boats leaving right from Playa del Carmen: http://www.underwatersculpture.com/page ... mexico.htm. It's pretty bad ass, and Isla Mujeres is nice, too - sort of the hippy version of the Riviera Maya:

Image Image

Other than that, all-you-can-guzzle watered-down well drinks and skin cancer are pretty much the order of the day. Enjoy!
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Misanthrope » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Don't be sorry.. It has to beat Chicago at this time of year. Other that the amateur hour of St. Paddy's, with the river dyed green and Mick wannabe's yakking up cheap, green beer, it's gray. Gray skies, gray streets, gray lake, and gray fucking people... It's enough to make you want to put on some Patsy Kline, draw a hot bath and a straight razor.

Thanks for the tips. Figured we'd see Tulum. Not sure about the day tour to Chichen Itza with the offspring. Never even heard of Coba. I'd love to get the kids out snorkeling.

Other than that, all-you-can-guzzle watered-down well drinks and skin cancer are pretty much the order of the day. Enjoy!

I'm all over it. I got Ugly American down to a science.

Misanthrope

Postby AztecDave » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:17 am

bravo. also add a tshirt that says yer an unabashed American and that the US is the greatest country in Mexico. Also, take a copy of the Simpson's Movie. When the part with Krusty the Clown says "if you can find a greasier sandwich than his Clogger, you're in Mexico!", turn that up real fucking loud.

one of my greatest times was when i moved out of chi-town land in february. like i got outta jail. haven't looked or been back since. yea for me.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Athena » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:37 am

Another fun day trip if you're feeling spendy is to take the ferry to Cazumel and SNUBA. You're tethered to a raft with the tanks, so the requirements to participate are less stringent than SCUBA, but I don't know the particulars off hand. The little ones might have a good time if they're permitted to do it.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Postby Torch » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:10 am

I second Xcaret. Great snokelling there. My kids loved it.
Torch
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Misanthrope wrote:Don't be sorry.. It has to beat Chicago at this time of year.

I kid, it's beautiful.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Return to Black Flag Cafe