caribbean / central america?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: caribbean / central america?

Postby babihutan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cem95mlfv6c

If we're on the topic of caves, this place in Puerto Rico will blow you away, promise! :)
It can only be done by organized trip though, and the guys running the trip make it a fun and memorable Adventure. This alone is worth a stop to PR, and National Geographic agrees, calling it one of the top 100 trips in the world.
I would pick Central America any day over Caribbean for many reasons. The Caribbean isridiculously espensive just about anywhere for accomadation (haven't been to Haiti), and it seemsto have a high ratio of time-trapped douche bags lingering around. If you wanted to get away from it all in the Caribbean, the island of DOMINICA is absolutely beautiful, said to be the only island in the whole Caribbean that Cristopher Columbus would recognize today.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:16 am

i made it back from jamaica.

rented a car - i got in a couple minor car fender benders (about 3 big dents, and a broken left turn signal light). pulled over twice by bribe-hunting cops. robbed twice (on my last day). spent my last night in a jamaican police station next to the guy who robbed me (that was fun), and whose buddies were also trying to steal the rental. i was extremely drunk and covered in paint from a festival. had a pretty epic night where one of my friends got jean-cocked (read: some jamaican pulled his erect penis out in the middle of a club and tried to get her to jerk it off - hilarious story). got shoved around by a bum in the town of port antonio, who probably put some hex on me. hit so many potholes the steering wheel mis-aligned about 20 degrees. returned the rental all jacked up - running on fumes, and covered (inside and out) with paint from carnivale, not to mention the jacked-up car. The best part: the rental rep looked at the rental, and burst out laughing. made my flight with minutes to spare (after cutting a deal with the thieves who robbed us so we could get our stuff back), and i still had healthy splotches of paint all over me.

this is how to NOT do a vacation. still had fun, but if i wanted this type of vacation, i'd have gone back to afghanistan, or iraq...
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:48 am

Jamaica was the place where I was almost murdered.
Sri Lanky

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:06 pm

Everything* I hear about Jamaica makes me not want to go there - and I'm a stoner! Crazy. Glad you survived, maybe Central America next time?

*well, except for the bit about the car rental guy...
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:45 pm

bearanddragon wrote:
robbed twice (on my last day). spent my last night in a jamaican police station next to the guy who robbed me (that was fun)..

Did the cops allow you towail on him?

Still it sounds like a pretty good v.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:01 am

friendlyskies wrote:Everything* I hear about Jamaica makes me not want to go there - and I'm a stoner! Crazy. Glad you survived, maybe Central America next time?

*well, except for the bit about the car rental guy...

i got some great advice from the flag last time for costa rica. i'd love to go back to central america, but it probably won't happen for about a year. i am stuck in the midwest for the next few months. i am tentatively looking at Uzbekistan late summer (and of course Thailand). and will probably be in south africa for a few months in early 2014.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:11 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:
bearanddragon wrote:
robbed twice (on my last day). spent my last night in a jamaican police station next to the guy who robbed me (that was fun)..

Did the cops allow you towail on him?

Still it sounds like a pretty good v.

it was all one big scam i'm sure. they cops seemed to know the usual suspects. but the cops actually recommended that i keep my conversations with the "suspects" cordial and friendly - they were more likely to cooperate and get our stuff back. i don't know what kind of police station lets you hang out with the "suspects" but it just made the evening even more bizarre. if we didn't have 6-7 hours to catch a flight (and it being 2 AM and us being 2 hours from the airport), the situation might have been different. but i'm generally a pretty happy drunk, and I wasn't really that angry strangely enough. the first few minutes of me staggering around the police station trying to give a statement while covered in paint and giggling like a little schoolgirl kind of killed any street cred I might have tried to pull off...

at the very least i should have taken a photo with the dude as we left. and yes, it was a pretty good v - somehow i think all this stupid stuff happening made it much more memorable.

by the way, i've never been robbed in my life, let alone twice in a day. i'm usually pretty good about keeping my possessions on me, and i'm a safe traveler. i always take a cable lock, lock my gear down, always get a cheap throwaway cell phone, etc., and watch where i grab my money. Technically the first robbing was a pickpocketing. I had cargo shorts on. And I even put a safety pin over the velcro-shut pocket, because i was worried about pickpockets. they still got it anyway. it was one of those festivals where thousands of people are nut-to-but. but still, these guys are pretty good... i ended up losing about $70 in local currency on that one.
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe