Need Lightweight Tent / Sleeping Bag

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby stealth1 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:59 am

End of July / middle of August I'm heading off on a long hike. I need a lightweight tent that will hold up in heavy rain and breakdown to a size I can easily fit in a medium size backpack. I also need a sleeping mat/bag that I can do the same with.

Recommendations would be appreciated.
stealth1

Re: Need Lightweight Tent / Sleeping Bag

Postby ktrout » Fri May 31, 2013 3:54 am

Have you considered a hammock? I have practically lived in a Mosquito Hammock for three months while bicycling across Eurasia. The nice thing about this hammock is that it has a side zipper, unlike the other one I've used, the Hennessy, which has a bottom entry. This means it can be set up on the ground as a tent if necessary.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby stealth1 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Cool, thanks. I was thinking of the hammock but if I'm gonna go this route I definitely need a mosquito hammock. It's good it can be used as a tent too...although I'm not too keen on some snake crawling inside and using my leg for warmth.
stealth1

Postby nowonmai » Fri May 31, 2013 8:32 pm

stealth1 wrote:End of July / middle of August I'm heading off on a long hike. I need a lightweight tent that will hold up in heavy rain and breakdown to a size I can easily fit in a medium size backpack. I also need a sleeping mat/bag that I can do the same with.

Go to camping shop. Ask assistant for lightweight tent and sleeping bag. Purchase them.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:50 pm

nowonmai wrote:
stealth1 wrote:End of July / middle of August I'm heading off on a long hike. I need a lightweight tent that will hold up in heavy rain and breakdown to a size I can easily fit in a medium size backpack. I also need a sleeping mat/bag that I can do the same with.

Go to camping shop. Ask assistant for lightweight tent and sleeping bag. Purchase them.

That would be to easy.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby stealth1 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 pm

nowonmai wrote:

Ktrout gave me an answer I doubt I would receive here in Thailand.

Save your normal cunty responses Nowonmai and Rickshaw92. That would be too easy though, now wouldn't it?
stealth1

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:27 pm

stealth1 wrote:
nowonmai wrote:

Save your normal cunty responses Nowonmai and Rickshaw92. That would be too easy though, now wouldn't it?

To dumb to buy a fart sack eh? Given the amount of posts by you for the purpose of pimping you're blog, my guess is that you started this thread because you are an attention whore. Or you are just to dumb to buy a sleeping bag.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby nowonmai » Fri May 31, 2013 11:06 pm

stealth1 wrote:
nowonmai wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were in Thailand. I'll start again.

Go to camping shop. Ask assistant for rightweight tent and sreeping bag. Get offered his daughter instead. Decide to buy tent next month.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:45 am

stealth1 wrote:Ktrout gave me an answer I doubt I would receive here in Thailand.

They make those Mosquito Hammocks in Thailand. Done :). I have the Expedition. I really like having a cocoon sleeping bag liner, too. Especially since when I do camp out it's after a day of sweating my ass off on a bicycle and don't get to rinse off. Sleeping bags are sticky when you're covered with sweat. I don't know if you'd need much more than a liner in Thailand?
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:28 am

nowonmai wrote:Ask assistant for lightweight tent and sleeping bag. Purchase them.

.....like anyone who works in a shop today knows anything about the products they sell in the shop.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby stealth1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:09 pm

ktrout wrote:
stealth1 wrote:Ktrout gave me an answer I doubt I would receive here in Thailand.

They make those Mosquito Hammocks in Thailand. Done :). I have the Expedition. I really like having a cocoon sleeping bag liner, too. Especially since when I do camp out it's after a day of sweating my ass off on a bicycle and don't get to rinse off. Sleeping bags are sticky when you're covered with sweat. I don't know if you'd need much more than a liner in Thailand?

A liner will work as will the mosquito hammock. I need as lightweight as possible.

Nowanmai and Rickshaw92 - like I said before, typical cunty responses.
stealth1

Postby ktrout » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:40 pm

A good sleeping mat would be good to keep your underside warm and prevent bite throughs. That should be about it.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:24 pm

stealth1 wrote:
ktrout wrote:

A liner will work as will the mosquito hammock. I need as lightweight as possible.

Nowanmai and Rickshaw92 - like I said before, typical cunty responses.

Dry your eyes princess.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby russlits » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:32 am

Hi all,

I am searching for a sleeping bag that is lightweight, compresses small and is the budget range.

I am cycling around Europe Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, Switzerland, and France for a few months and camping from November - January, so it needs to be a crazy warm sleeping bag, but I do want to be comfortable in it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
russlits

Return to Black Flag Cafe