Honor Flight....

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Honor Flight....

Postby svizzerams » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:52 am

Honor Flight - I had a chance to see this last evening - a documentary about bringing WWII veterans from around the US to visit the WWII monument in DC.

I had an opportunity to spend a week in Washington DC in Sept 2012, and of course visited the museums and monuments while I was there. On the morning I decided to go to the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial I happened upon the WWII Memorial which is between the two if you are going about on foot. While I was there a group of Honor Flight WWII Veterans started assembling at the monument. I had never heard of this program so I wasn't sure what was happening at first...but I stuck around curious to understand what was going on. These are a few pictures I took while observing the activities. I think this was the singular most moving part of my visit to DC. "Every day is a bonus."

Image Image

Image Image

I think Robert Porter has the best smile I've ever seen...then and now. And I went up and told him so.

http://www.honorflightthemovie.com/

Honor Flight is a heartwarming documentary about four living World War II veterans and a Midwest community coming together to give them the trip of a lifetime. Volunteers race against the clock to fly thousands of WWII veterans to Washington, DC to see the memorial constructed for them in 2004, nearly 60 years after their epic struggle.

The trips are called “Honor Flights” and for the veterans, who are in their late 80s and early 90s, it’s often the first time they’ve been thanked and the last trip of their lives. The 24-hour journey is full of surprises that deeply move all who are involved. It’s uncommon for World War II veterans to talk about the War, but the Honor Flight experience brings their stories out. Many veterans say, with the exception of their wedding day and the birth of their children, the trip is the best day of their life.

However, success is all but ensured. 1,000 World War II veterans die every day and getting them on an Honor Flight in time is a constant battle. The film features Orville Lemke, a former plumber and beloved father of nine who fights to hold off terminal cancer so he can make the trip, and Julian Plaster, an 89-year-old poet who has survived almost all of his friends and family.

Honor Flight also chronicles the stories of veterans Joe Demler and Harvey Kurz. They raise money for and promote the Honor Flight program to help fly as many of their fellow veterans as possible. Joe, a soft-spoken retired postmaster, was famously pictured in Life magazine as “the Human Skeleton” upon his liberation from a German POW camp. Days from death, he weighed just 70 lbs. His comedic sidekick, Harvey, saw the iconic flag go up at the Battle of Iwo Jima, unbeknownst to the shoppers he bags groceries for at the local Pick n’ Save.

As the Honor Flight trip unfolds, Orville, Julian, Joe, Harvey and others share their stories and wisdom. While the Honor Flight program is meant to give something back to these humble heroes, the sheer goodness they embody and their profound appreciation for life in freedom, transforms the lives of everyone they meet.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Re: Honor Flight....

Postby nowonmai » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Guys with smiles like that didn't win that war but what a lovely guy he looks and good on him.

Guys like this win wars and it isn't pretty.

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Is that a picture of your father, Nowonmai? He is a good looking man.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Good looking bastards....

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby JITW » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:04 am

Dont even act like you give 2 sits about vets or people that have fought and spread blood for the US you liberal fuck Swiz

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:42 pm

JITW wrote:Dont even act like you give 2 sits about vets or people that have fought and spread blood for the US you liberal fuck Swiz

~JITW

Drunk posting again, eh?
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby nowonmai » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:33 am

seektravelinfo wrote:Is that a picture of your father, Nowonmai? He is a good looking man.

Nope. It is a picture of this man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Speirs
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:10 pm

JITW wrote:Dont even act like you give 2 sits about vets or people that have fought and spread blood for the US you liberal fuck Swiz

~JITW

sits. fought and spread blood.

*glug! glug! glug!*
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe