Do we want a BFC Memorial Forum?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Memorial Sub Forum:

Poll ended at Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 am

Yes good idea - please go ahead
56%
No bad idea - let RIP threads go into the BFC archives
25%
I have a better plan - please see my comment below
3%
I don't care - do what you want
17%

Total votes : 36

Re: Do we want a BFC Memorial Forum?

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:12 pm

LechoZX wrote:Look at the image URL, or the post if it wasn't obvious enough.

there isn't an image URL, smarty pants. And you think I read Nowonmai's posts?

anyway, it's film. I rest my case.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:43 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:

joshh (ie. Penta) was at the time protesting against the war and writes a typical jarring overfamiliar comment about '3 Commando' (like she knows the first fucking thing about it) that gets it wrong anyway.

They are in fact marines from either 42 or 45 Commando Royal Marines, part of 3 Commando Brigade, pictured on the night of 20/21 May 1982 as they about to board the landing craft at San Carlos Bay to begin the process of kicking the Argies off the Islands. Port Stanley was the other side of the Islands which is why the task force disembarked where the Argies weren't, not where they were. These men were about to finish a war.

and there is an image URL you nutcase.

Here is a map for your general delectation, they make a beautiful picture those islands.

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Thank you.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 pm

nowonmai wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:

joshh (ie. Mount Fujimori) was at the time protesting against the war and writes a typical jarring overfamiliar comment about '3 Commando' (like she knows the first fucking thing about it) that gets it wrong anyway.

They are in fact marines from either 42 or 45 Commando Royal Marines, part of 3 Commando Brigade, pictured on the night of 20/21 May 1982 as they about to board the landing craft at San Carlos Bay to begin the process of kicking the Argies off the Islands. Port Stanley was the other side of the Islands which is why the task force disembarked where the Argies weren't, not where they were. These men were about to finish a war.

Here is a map for your general delectation, they make a beautiful picture those islands.

Now was that so hard ;-)

Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:57 pm

svizzerams wrote:
nowonmai wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:

joshh (ie. Mount Fujimori) was at the time protesting against the war and writes a typical jarring overfamiliar comment about '3 Commando' (like she knows the first fucking thing about it) that gets it wrong anyway.

Now was that so hard ;-)

WTF over?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:48 am

nowonmai wrote:
Ultra Swain wrote:Who died recently?

I thought it was you. Chomping a cigar and crewing a dragon boat while geysers of water erupt from the dushkas spraying rounds all over the place, you were last seen jumping overboard, running into the jungle badly wounded clutching a teddy bear, a carrier bag of duty frees and a Jeff Beck CD.

So the legend goes, somewhere down there maybe you live on, watching, waiting for the moment to return from The J at a moment of great danger for the (insert name of tribe here) people (they all looks the same to me you know).

I still love cracking myself up after I forgot writing it. It's the Jeff Beck CD that does it for me.

Meanwhile I have to pass on the sad news that Mikethehack is no longer with us. He was having one of his regular soirees with a few friends from work and as usual by 10pm they were playing headbutt the breezeblock while grooving to Mike's favourite song, the classic Open your Mind by Usura. Unfortunately they were playing the game on the outskirts of Raqqa and what Mike thought was a breezeblock was in fact an IED. All they could find of him afterwards was a cauliflower ear, a can of Guinness that he had apparently accidentally swallowed in 1988, a shrivelled liver resembling a pork scratching and his wallet. Despite the use of advanced cutting gear, the authorities are still attempting to open the wallet three weeks after the incident. His funeral is next week at Coleraine Municipal Dump and his family have requested that if anyone does turn up his father will be accepting donations, and if he gets more than a tenner he'll sing Spirit of the Red Hand. No flowers unless they're plastic and can be re-sold after he's been through the crusher.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:02 am

and what was Kurts creepy story about his dead 19 year old great parakeet something or other? I've been waiting four years to find out.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:06 am

Met MtH in Dubai finally in 2012, kinda fell off the rdar after that. He ok?
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby flipflop » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:30 pm

He's around

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Kurt » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:39 pm

nowonmai wrote:and what was Kurts creepy story about his dead 19 year old great parakeet something or other? I've been waiting four years to find out.

Oh, my grandma's story about her dead teenage aunt.

They were Haugeans ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haugean ). Woodrow Wilson put an end to that when Norwegians saw that Germans and Amish were getting carted off to internment camps but the funerals were still in the Haugean tradition meaning they took place at a person's house instead of in a church. That meant that the night before the funeral everyone stayed in the house with the coffin and my grandma slept next to it as a 14 year old girl just looking over at her dead aunt.

She heard a "pop" in the middle of the night and looked over and the corpse's mouth had popped open because the wax they put on her teeth was not strong enough. Then she went back to sleep and heard another noise, this time she looked over and aunt Wilma was sitting up and trying to talk to her but her mouth was stuck by rigor mortis so all she could do was hiss and gurgle.

Then my grandma woke up. That part about her sitting up was a dream. Her mother came in the room to get her out so they could bring in the chairs for the service and saw Wilma's mouth open. She went to the kitchen, got some cheesecloth and tied her jaw shut via the top of her head and said "I guess Wilma had something to say"
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:02 am

and what gets lost through the years and the physical details of a corpses behaviour is the grief at the loss of a 19 year old girl. Doesn't bear thinking about. So we don't.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:03 am

In my case my best friend and my son's best friend.

In both instances nothing less than heaven will suffice.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:11 pm

denise wrote:In my case my best friend and my son's best friend.

In both instances nothing less than heaven will suffice.

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:42 pm

nowonmai wrote:and what gets lost through the years and the physical details of a corpses behaviour is the grief at the loss of a 19 year old girl. Doesn't bear thinking about. So we don't.

Well, that is another story of course.

My great-great grandparents, Wilma's parents, became very successful farmers in Iowa. When she died they were in the middle of building a house specially designed (probably by quacks) for people with Tuberculosis so they would not have to move to Arizona but rather have a climate controlled with central heating (1919 in the rural US..well before running water and electricity was there) but she died before the house was finished and they were too sad to bother doing anything with it so it was salvaged for wood during the depression.

One time back in 2000 I was at my grandma's place and found a tin can of old photos and started pulling them out to ask her who the people were and she cried when a photo of Wilma popped up. So 71 years after death and someone still cried. But that does not make for a spooky story even though it could be much spookier than a teenage girl's imagination.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:36 pm

I know, I didn't mean it like that, it's just the way we filter out the details. The world would be unmanageable otherwise. 71 years probably felt like the blink of an eye and all that life that could have been.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe