Eat The Weeds

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Eat The Weeds

Postby babihutan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Was always a curiosity for me, but every piece of literature I've come across on the subject has had a sentence description for each plant at best, usually accompanied by a thumbnail size black and white pic.....until I found these two books by Samuel Thayer - The Forager's Harvest, and Nature's Garden. These books dedicate a whole chapter to ONE plant, providing multiple colour photos of different stages of growth, very detailed info on where to find them, what part of the plant to avoid and when, best edible parts etc, and dispels many of the negative myths surrounding certain plants. I can honestly say that after only a year of owning these books, I now see food all over the place, and have tried close to half of the plants mentioned. As far as survival goes, most of this food is low on calories, and very seasonal, so you would have to compliment this with earth worms or hunting/fishing if lucky.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:07 am

urban foraging

any of y'all foragers?
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Kurt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:04 pm

marie-angelique wrote:urban foraging

any of y'all foragers?

When I can.

Mostly raspberries and blackberries in Northern Manhattan. I do mushrooms also but only two; Morels and Puffballs. I have not found morels in NYC but puffballs can be had at the edge of baseball diamonds if only kids play on them. I have also gathered feral chives.

I have been tempted by geese and there is a squirrel that chews on my window screen that I wish to kill and eat.

Oh, Molecrabs too. They are absolutely delicious.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Skirita » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 pm

LechoZX wrote:"This next song is in the key of purple"

Fucking A dude, I laughed aloud.

Any permaculturists here? The basic concept is to create carefully planned "food forests" that are self-sustaining mini-ecosystems. Lots of work and planning up front, minimal maintenance and maximum production once established. It's been a big thing for me lately. We've turned most of our pointless suburban backyard into a tropical fruit orchard and food forest. This is a great book: Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Urban Permaculture by Hemenway.
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." - W.B. Yeats
Skirita
Malus In Se

Postby ktrout » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:21 am

Kurt wrote:there is a squirrel that chews on my window screen that I wish to kill and eat.

Paiute deadfall.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:22 am

marie-angelique wrote:urban foraging

any of y'all foragers?

Sounds like fun. I like to nibble on wild mustard flowers. Tasty.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:54 am

I am a permaculture fan, own a food forest & love to forage. Almost every time I walk about I'm able to eat delicious, nutritious food.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:28 am

ended up picking a boat load of blackberries last month in redneck land to the north and making some lovely jam.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Hitoru » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Try Red bud flowers (Cercis canadensis) on top of your salad in the spring when they are blooming. High in vitamin c and a , I eat them straight off the tree.

Oh, BTW my grandfather used to take that mushroom guy David Aurora foraging . I have his books with autographs.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Eat The Weeds

Postby russlits » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:59 pm

I didnt see you dying either...Who are you to call out the cowards from the shadows? The hypocrisy of you wetlanders always gets me.
russlits

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe