AwayDays - BBC Football Hooligans

For those post related to Burt Reynolds and throwing balls.

AwayDays - BBC Football Hooligans

Postby nowonmai » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:59 pm

This is for Flipflop - good soundtrack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01074hf/Awaydays/

If you can't see it outside the UK then tough shit, pay for a licence like everyone else.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Re: AwayDays - BBC Football Hooligans

Postby coldharvest » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 pm

nowonmai wrote:pay for a licence like everyone else.

like fuck everybody pays for a licence, even more so now that the licence fees will be going to Jimmy Saville's victims.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby vagabond » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:40 pm

You could get a VPN for a few bucks a month I think and watch UK content. Also I think there are some free Google ad-ons to get around it. I've considered using such get arounds in the past for watching EPL but now NBC is carrying it.

Hope the film is better than Green Street Hooligans. Frodo forever blowing bubbles was a bit weird.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:53 am

Great soundtrack to a pretty average movie. Like soldiers, the movies can't quite get a correct vision of football lads. It was better than that fucking Green Street pish though.
Problem is that it was known scouse/north west lads sported wedge haircuts and wore Peter Storms, but not every single lad had them on, at the same time. Plenty of their boys in those days were still in donkey jackets and crew cuts, i.e. scruffs. Same with both versions of The Firm, the Gary Oldman version is a far better film, well Gary Oldman is in it. But fucking no way did mid-80s firms wear yuppie raincoats and suits when being naughty.

The updated version is saved - just - by the lad who plays Bex, proper menacing for a thin wiry cunt. He even managed to carry it off in a pastel full tops and bottoms Sergio Tacchini tracksuit. Yes, cockney casuals loved their tennis gear, but they never EVER wore the full outfit while windmilling in. It ruined some good performances, made it a fashion parade. Of course you now have 40-50 year old men wearing Fila rollnecks and other tennis gear, reminiscing about a glorious past that had just as many scruffs and losers as kids today.

Still waiting for the definitive movie of that era, regional tastes and prejudices dictate it won't be forthcoming soon. But that is a reflection of a scene that was hard to pin down then, as much as with hindsight now. Football, not music, was the driving force for this culture, so London-centric media types and the middle class culture barons ignored it, or didn't know it existed. It was rawer, meaner, more authentic than punk or any other marketing drive disguised as 'yoof culture'. And it was as ruthless as mod in that you save for a pair of Forest Hills and everyone else has already moved onto Nike. That was a good scene in AwayDays when Elvis points down at Carty's Samba clad feet and goes "Wrong trainees la"

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby vagabond » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:10 am

What is your take on 'This Is England'?

70s/80s era UK seems horribly depressing yet seems to have been a fertile cultural cauldron.

flipflop wrote:Like soldiers, the movies can't quite get a correct vision of football lads.

Curious what you would say they get wrong about soldiers.

Seems to me that any time a character is former military on tv or in film they have to have PTSD or be 'damaged' in some way. It's become almost a cliche.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:55 pm

They never get the berets right, or the equipment, and the jargon is usually off too. It's hard to explain unless you've been mobbed up, but TV and movie soldiers are crap portrayals, apart from this guy of course

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2WIOa7CEI[/youtube]

This Is England, the first movie, was very, very good. The spin offs and TV shows were not so good. I do like Shane Meadows the director though, unlike that mockney middle class plum Guy Ritchie he came up the same way as many of his characters. Dead Man's Shoes is a brilliant movie, one of the best in decades from the UK.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby vagabond » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:13 am

flipflop wrote:They never get the berets right, or the equipment, and the jargon is usually off too. It's hard to explain unless you've been mobbed up, but TV and movie soldiers are crap portrayals, apart from this guy of course

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2WIOa7CEI[/youtube]

This Is England, the first movie, was very, very good. The spin offs and TV shows were not so good. I do like Shane Meadows the director though, unlike that mockney middle class plum Guy Ritchie he came up the same way as many of his characters. Dead Man's Shoes is a brilliant movie, one of the best in decades from the UK.

Cheers

Downloaded Dead Man's Shoes. Will watch as a double feature w/ 'Tyrannosaur' this holiday weekend.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:35 pm

How did you get on with these? Tyrannosaur is excellent as well

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby vagabond » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:01 am

flipflop wrote:How did you get on with these? Tyrannosaur is excellent as well

see below -- f'd that up
Last edited by vagabond on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:02 am

vagabond wrote:

It was nearly a Paddy Considine weekend. Some things came up and I didn't get to Tyrannosaur but enjoyed "Dead Man's Shoes" plus had watched him in "The World's End" just prior. Very odd set of circumstances.

Your old manager seems to be doing some good at Sunderland. Hope he can get Jozy confident and scoring more.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:56 am

Dead men's shoes captures parts of Northern England exceptionally well. I know every character in that film, some far worse.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:58 pm

vagabond wrote:
vagabond wrote:

It was nearly a Paddy Considine weekend. Some things came up and I didn't get to Tyrannosaur but enjoyed "Dead Man's Shoes" plus had watched him in "The World's End" just prior. Very odd set of circumstances.

Your old manager seems to be doing some good at Sunderland. Hope he can get Jozy confident and scoring more.

As long as he finishes above Crystal Palace then I'm happy

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby vagabond » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:59 am

nowonmai wrote:Dead men's shoes captures parts of Northern England exceptionally well. I know every character in that film, some far worse.

Northern England seems horribly depressing. No wonder good music and sport came from there.

About the only cheery movie was '24 Hr Party People' and that had a suicide. Would be interesting to see a romantic comedy set there, even if it's on a council estate.

flipflop wrote:
vagabond wrote:Your old manager seems to be doing some good at Sunderland. Hope he can get Jozy confident and scoring more.

As long as he finishes above Crystal Palace then I'm happy

They seem to be doing well enough despite some tough losses to big teams lately. We'll see.

I guess more related (to you both):

Your man Shane Meadows did a Stone Roses documentary that was pretty good, if you hadn't already seen it.

And figured this might be of some interest:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URqm9043NiI[/youtube]

Curious to see that though I hope there's subtitles.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:58 pm

As much as I hate the Manc cunts, they were the finest bunch of players of their generation, and probably the one before, and definitely any since

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:09 am

vagabond wrote:
nowonmai wrote:Northern England seems horribly depressing. No wonder good music and sport came from there.

About the only cheery movie was '24 Hr Party People' and that had a suicide. Would be interesting to see a romantic comedy set there, even if it's on a council estate.

There already is, 'Rita, Sue, and Bob Too'. Funny, authentic, just don't expect 'Love Actually', you'll love it

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Next

Return to Movies , Entertainment & Sport