How long has this place got?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

How long before RYP scuttles this scurvy ship?

Imminent - we are at DEFCON Fucking 1! Buckle up, it's been a lovely war.
10%
Two weeks max - if the vlindsay story runs for another 7 days then he will be getting twitchy and tetchy
2%
One month max - we are one lawyer's email away from the red button being pushed
4%
Six months - the patient is now definitely dying but life support will continue until all residual brain activity ceases
8%
Never! BFC will never die, we will rebound and go onwards to new heights with interesting and amusing people engaged in free discourse (been a bit too much 'free discourse' if you arx me)
61%
Who fucking cares - I'd rather twitter twats and fuck facebook buddies
14%

Total votes : 49

Re: How long has this place got?

Postby nowonmai » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:17 am

JITW wrote:The decline of the BFC has nothing to do with RYP or anyone else here
~JITW

Wrong. The decline was initiated by Penta, deepened by friendlyskies and completed by vlindsaygate. The constant throughout was the miscued decision making by Pelton and his minions. It's fucking lovely.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby JITW » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:33 am

nowonmai wrote:
JITW wrote:The decline of the BFC has nothing to do with RYP or anyone else here
~JITW

Wrong. The decline was initiated by Penta, deepened by friendlyskies and completed by vlindsaygate. The constant throughout was the miscued decision making by Pelton and his minions. It's fucking lovely.

I didn't say the decline of the good people was not anyone's fault

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:50 am

The Flag has been becalmed a couple of times over the years and each time newsworthy events in DPs stimulating discussion or new blood livening shit up have refilled the sails so to speak. The deaths of several noteworthy Flaggers diminished the place far more than those who have walked the plank and I'd like to think that the dearly departed would join me in inviting those eager to write this site's obituary to take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut. Maple glazed.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:56 pm

MJK wrote:The Flag has been becalmed a couple of times over the years and each time newsworthy events in DPs stimulating discussion or new blood livening shit up have refilled the sails so to speak. The deaths of several noteworthy Flaggers diminished the place far more than those who have walked the plank and I'd like to think that the dearly departed would join me in inviting those eager to write this site's obituary to take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut. Maple glazed.

Also wrong. The drop offs were cliff edge and there is temporal correlation and clear causation with pentagate, friendlyskies gate and then vlindsaygate. Each time Pelton backed the wrong horse. He screwed the pooch. Blaming it on a couple of dead people is mere wishful thinking.

But keep dreaming the dream.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:19 am

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby svizzerams » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:21 am

Why so gleefully grim Mr. N? News of the BFC's demise is certainly premature nor would I assume, imminent. Engage sir, engage. I am just finishing my trip up in TZ. I dodged hippos, found myself inadvertently on the sidelines (like 10 feet from the melee) of a massive lion fight (6 lionesses, 8 cubs and 1 male lion who apparently was an intruder), spent hours watching a leopard (except when it sought shade under the land cruiser I was in and fell asleep) and so many other amazing things during 16 days in the bush I couldn't possibly remember them all (like a leopard shooting up from a creek to trying to snag a zebra). BTW, the lionesses drove the male hither, meting out a sound thrashing and then turned on each other before calm was restored.

You know I love you man, but what do you want or expect from this community?
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby nowonmai » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:52 pm

svizzerams wrote:You know I love you man, but what do you want or expect from this community?

Nothing. I just report the facts.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:44 pm

nowonmai wrote:
svizzerams wrote:You know I love you man, but what do you want or expect from this community?

Nothing. I just report the facts.

And actually, I enjoy the punditry, even knowing that I could easily be a target for your withering gaze, but the worst that could happen with that is a good laugh and I can always use a good laugh.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jefe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:20 am

There are always two sides to the coin, and while I agree with Nowanmai to a large
degree, I do recall the good I have found on this site too. It was frustrating to say the least,
to be the guy on the ground with armies of retards criticising factual reporting. Or to see liars
and frauds elevated to god like status. Nowanmai is credible and I hope to have a beer with him someday.

But, I have met a few great people off this site (in DPs). One in particullar (who left this site in
disgust, was ridiculed by a bunch of wannabes, and doesn't post) who not only was a good guy, but we linked up and did something very good with an incredible result which protected alot of innocent people

Now, I guess I am one of the weak link posters. I am not in a DP and am lazy and enjoying my rest to a degree I am not sure I will ever go back to work in one. LOL, I remember one R&R (we actually called them I&Is, Rest and Relaxation or Intercourse and Intoxication, you be the judge) when I went back to Colombia for a break and hearing an IED go off near my hotel, sighing in happiness with a big smile and thinking how great it was that I didn't have to be in charge and how peaceful that was and going back to sleep. Wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

By the way. Great movie called Second Hand Lions for us older guys.

Hope I can meet a couple more of you boneheads and have happy holidays. The snow is coming down right now and my work with the Wounded Warrior Project starts anew tomorrow. We take them Cross Country Skiing in the winter and kayak in the summer. They would make all you citizens proud if you knew them.
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 am

Wow, I'm one of the three main reasons why the BFC turned sucky? Why, because I got into one fucking Internet fight with nowonmai and flipflop? Or is it because I haven't traveled to any dangerous places in over a year, I guess it's been 18 months since I was in Colombia and Venezuela? That's why I don't come on here as much anymore, except when I think of something that the community might enjoy, to which nowonmai inevitably pipes up that it's booooooooooooring or starts on and on about that one fucking fight we had a million years ago.

Good freaking grief, the whining. Anyway, if you all really think me posting here is one of the top three reasons why the BFC sucks, and Penta and Vlindsay are the other two, well, I guess I just need to stop posting and it'll start being awesome again. I can just lurk from now on, see if that helps. But frankly, I don't see any improvement since Penta and Dr. V stopped posting, with me posting much less often than usual. But, whatever. I like this place and like the people in it, sure, but I seriously don't feel like being a scapegoat, and I'm sick of nowonmai's whining.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby flipflop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:24 am

Er ok, anyway, Jefe, you'll not last brother, it's good to be back here in Kabul, on the same money as Nasiriyah, but the only threat being the towels don't get changed often enough. Get on it.

Happy Xmas buddy

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby flipflop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:51 am

Take a butcher's hook at this, this was just yesterday, who wouldn't want to be here now? It will go fucking bonkers in April, maybe before, and certainly after. The armies of Mordor will be on the march then, fuck yeah

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:11 pm

flipflop wrote: It will go fucking bonkers in April, maybe before, and certainly after. The armies of Mordor will be on the march then, fuck yeah

Cheers

How bonkers is bonkers? Would crossing in from Uzbekistan and going from Mazari to Kabul be doable overland?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby flipflop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Piece of piss right now, April? Fuck only knows

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:57 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Wow, I'm one of the three main reasons why the BFC turned sucky? Why, because I got into one fucking Internet fight with nowonmai and flipflop?

No, it got sucky because as a result of the internet fight (that you started) you deployed the gender/bully card, because you were still sore about Penta being given the boot. Then like night follows day Pelton was called in like some gone to seed, dementia suffering sheriff, fingered the wrong people which pissed them off and this led to a significant lessening of activity on the site. So yes, you were directly responsible for one of the three main reasons the "community" (lol) reduced its interaction. It's all there on the record but keep on saying it often enough I'm sure you'll revise history.

It's okay though sister, cuz I know what really pisses you off is that you can't find anything interesting to say.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe