Chronicles of Tomorrow: Episode 1 - Milk Run

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Chronicles of Tomorrow: Episode 1 - Milk Run

Postby Lethal Dose » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:27 pm

Fuck it was a hard day at work. Those corpses are fucking heavy, and today I had to move some fat fucker who croaked of a heart attack. Who dies from natural causes these days? Anyhow, I'm finally home and it's time to chill and watch "The Reel Deal". I go to get some mood medication during the commercial break and discover I'm down to my last 2 oxy's, so I decide to head to the corner store to get some more, and maybe a bottle of vikes while I'm at it since I'm running low, oh, and I'm out of milk. I unlock my 6 deadbolts and grab my Glock, I want to get back before the commercials are finished.

I normally don't go out at this hour, but fuck-it, I ain't gonna spend the evening sober, not after the day I had. A few blocks from the store I hear some shouting from down the street and a few gun shots, so I cross to the other side and keep my head down. Once I get to the store I head straight for the candy isle. Gun mounted cameras on the far wall track me as I move through the store. Fuck Vicoden is getting expensive, I guess demand has dropped off since Neotol has come on the market, but that shit messes with my stomach. Kids nowadays will pop anything new that comes out, even if it's crap. I stock up on vikes so I'm ready for the next price hike, grab my oxy's and a carton of milk, and head for the door where the store computer scans the goods and the chip in my neck and debits my account.

I'm nearly home when I sense trouble. A bummy looking dude is headed my way and I can tell he's after my goodies. I ain't having none of it. As he gets close he pulls out a gun and tells me to drop my bag of shit. I make eye contact to distract his attention and slowly hold up the bag in front of me while discreetly reaching for my Glock tucked under my jacket directly behind the bag. When it's all over, there's no crying over spilled milk. My candy has made it through okay. I grab the bums gun and pocket it along with my pills. It's an old 38 special like the cops used to use. I can get a good price for it, being an antique.

I finally get home, lock my deadbolts, pout some scotch, and relax in front of the TV with a small bowl of "candy". The commercials are just ending. I watch the live feed cameras on TV from just down the road. Turns out those gun-shots I heard on the way to the store was a party gone sideways. Three dead, one fucked up for life. All over a girl of all things. Chivalry? Really? Serves 'em right, stupid bastards. Oh look, the 14th street cam has got me blowing away that bum. Cool, I'm on TV! It'll surely be the topic of conversation at work tomorrow while I am moving the fuckers body. Good thing those party goers were all young skinny fucks, they'll be easy to move. Load 'em up, and drop 'em down. I don't get paid enough for this shit. Oh well, that's life.

- Future Joe
Why? Cuz I said so, that's why!
Lethal Dose

Re: Chronicles of Tomorrow: Episode 1 - Milk Run

Postby svizzerams » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Damn ghost - how come this is the default!!!!!!!
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Bouncer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:39 pm

It's got promise. You've got four paragraphs, now flesh that out into an opening chapter and introduce yourself. "Future Joe" doesn't work as a name. The vibe I am getting is Jude Law in the beginning of Repo Men.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lethal Dose » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Future Joe refers to an ordinary joe from the future. The story is virtually identical to how I wrote it originally years ago on a site that abruptly went down and took some of my favorite short stories, poems, and rants with it (Figured I had lots of time to back it all up). There are 2 others in the series. If you've seen movies made up of many short films with a common theme, this is kinda like that... only different. :) I hope you enjoy the series.

- Lethal Dose
Lethal Dose

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:10 am

I like it. I just came home from an evening repast at the local barfly joint where I was joined by 2 friends who are writers of the fiction arts, with an emphasis on dystopian, so this is right up my alley, after this evening. Thanks for that.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 am

Where is the setting? Do you have a precise era in mind? In fifty years what will be a common name for a 35 year old male living in North America?
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:44 am

gnaruki wrote:Where is the setting? Do you have a precise era in mind? In fifty years what will be a common name for a 35 year old male living in North America?

mach.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby gnaruki » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 am

Sound Barrier might be a sweet name.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lethal Dose » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:52 am

What's left out is intentionally generic so to be left to the imagination of the reader. What I'd like to know is what do you think of a future like this? For some it may not seem dystopic at all, but rather just the opposite.
Lethal Dose

Postby Bouncer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:00 pm

I think that unless there's a massive advance in biochemical engineering there's no way you're popping vicky's like candy and living long. I like the image, but your character is somewhat of a veteran of this society, so if he's not dead by overdose, something else is going on. There has to be internal logic to the story. /shrug

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 pm

I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Lethal Dose wrote:What's left out is intentionally generic so to be left to the imagination of the reader. What I'd like to know is what do you think of a future like this? For some it may not seem dystopic at all, but rather just the opposite.

I would like a future without mach, mach.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Lethal Dose » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:17 pm

Bouncer, I appreciate the feedback. But it's the future, so one must figure that either lifestyle or technology have made our friend Joe immune to the negative side effects. I mean there's already a drug for losing weight, one for countering the effects of heroin overdose, etc. :)

@Coldharvest: Uhm, thanks, I guess.

@Rickshaw: Have Coldharvest cross-check my IP against this Mach fellow, then shut the fuck up!
Lethal Dose

Postby coldharvest » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Lethal Dose wrote:Bouncer, I appreciate the feedback. But it's the future, so one must figure that either lifestyle or technology have made our friend Joe immune to the negative side effects. I mean there's already a drug for losing weight, one for countering the effects of heroin overdose, etc. :)

@Coldharvest: Uhm, thanks, I guess.

@Rickshaw: Have Coldharvest cross-check my IP against this Mach fellow, then shut the fuck up!

he's already said it's you
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Lethal Dose » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Still not sure who or what you're fucking talking about, but whatever floats your boat.
Lethal Dose

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe