Egyptian customs / Satellite phone

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Egyptian customs / Satellite phone

Postby qygorra » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Good afternoon all,

I'm bound for Egypt in about 10 days, and would love to bring my satellite phone with me during the trip (sea journey, so no comms at all, not that cool for a recently pregnant wife).

Any idea or solution on how to enter Egypt with the satellite phone (pre-declaration,...), because as far as I know this kind of device is prohibited...? (Ok, as solutions, "dump the wife", "put a condom around the satphone and hide it deep", already tried, no thanks !)
qygorra

Re: Egyptian customs / Satellite phone

Postby coldharvest » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:40 pm

slip 'em a Franklin
everybody in the 3rd world loves Ben.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby gnaruki » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:15 pm

http://www.inreachdelorme.com

One of these might look more banal than an outright sat phone. She'll always know where you are and it has SMS capabilities.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:46 am

gnaruki wrote:http://www.inreachdelorme.com

One of these might look more banal than an outright sat phone. She'll always know where you are and it has SMS capabilities.

Tell me more about the Delorme device. I have a 1st gen Spot and it's OK - but it doesn't have coverage in some of the places I go. Do you like it? Does it work as advertised? I like that it is on the iridium network vs Globalstar (which doesn't work in southern Africa last time I looked and tried. Although I did get a signal out in Burma - but not reliably.)
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby gnaruki » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:00 am

You might want to pm thewalrus regarding the iridium network. It worked great in the Baja.

OUt of the box there were a few hang ups with firmware updating and such. I had to flash the memory a few times to get it to properly install. For $300 bucks it's good piece of mind for yourself and anyone that cares about you.

Delorme's web interface is decent. It's bluetooth pairing capabilities with iphone and android work nicely too. No voice capabilities though.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:35 pm

gnaruki wrote:You might want to pm thewalrus regarding the iridium network. It worked great in the Baja.

OUt of the box there were a few hang ups with firmware updating and such. I had to flash the memory a few times to get it to properly install. For $300 bucks it's good piece of mind for yourself and anyone that cares about you.

Delorme's web interface is decent. It's bluetooth pairing capabilities with iphone and android work nicely too. No voice capabilities though.

Good to know! And if I need "tech support" I know who to contact ;-) I agree that they do add that level of peace of mind esp. when doing hiking/biking etc solo. I have purchased the bike mount as well. I'll post up a pic when I get it assembled. :-)
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Return to Black Flag Cafe