Gabon to Poland

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Gabon to Poland

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:08 am

Enjoy some cheap suds before coming back to Beaveristan.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:09 pm

Done!

Is Gord's Place still hoping in St.Catherines?

That was one of my top spots to hit in the 80s......before we headed over to Buffalo and "The Continental"......
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:18 am

Darcy wrote:Done!

Is Gord's Place still hoping in St.Catherines?

That was one of my top spots to hit in the 80s......before we headed over to Buffalo and "The Continental"......

Gord's Place is still there the last time I was in there it was still The Honest Lawyer.

The Continental.....is that the bar in the Lafayette Hotel? If so its been spiffied up.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:39 pm

I haven't been back in decades, but it was a pretty dark punk hang out in the 80s, saw some crazy shit there....

Best show I recall was "The Forgotten Rebels"....not so politically correct, and The Cramps. Good times!
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Darcy wrote:Best show I recall was "The Forgotten Rebels"

You have warmed an old Canadian heart.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Must be two different Gord's Places. I haven't been down here long enough for the old Gord's Place.

Forgotten Rebels were great. I remember the band beating the living crap out of a guy that got up on stage.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:40 am

My bad, I meant The Continental for the old live punk scene...

Gord's was 80's alternative dance club back in the day; The Cure, Echo and the Funnymen, etc....we'd start there then head stateside
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:54 am

I haven't had to look for a job for the past 18 years, actually over 30 as I just changed companies when they took over our EMS contract 18 years ago, but now that I am, there's dizzying array of opportunities but none of them are rock solid....

-My company is trying to find me a SAR instructor slot in Kazakstan, or possibly Nigeria if they get a certain contract. Ideal because they pay well and there's really no bullshit to deal with, but if both fall through, I'll laid off April 8. The reason we delivered those Pumas to Poland and the reason I'm laid off is because new management can't seem to land a contract anywhere, so I'm not hopeful.
-I got a line on instructing the Oman Police on AW139s, as well as a lead in China doing pretty much the same thing, both uncertain
-one guy is bidding a long line contract in the PNG highlands that would hire me if he gets it, bush work hanging my head out the door, but I think it'd be a blast
-another old buddy is trying to lease some of the Pumas I just delivered to Poland for a contract he won in an undisclosed African country, and I've got that job if I want it, but the lack of details concerns me
-spoke with some companies doing UN work in various spots but all full at present, know of another company bidding for work but until they land something....
-I'd love to get back to Gabon but the big players in West Africa are all EU based, and you need to have an EU passport and license to work for them, and East Africa is deadly quiet right now.

Sitting home with my Les Paul, working my way through my scotch collection...
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:39 am

Can't you just get an easy number flying news crews around somewhere safe for some channel called something like WXKYB.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Douchebag » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:38 am

Or being the pilot who covers really cool car chases.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-5pPEq7O4k[/youtube]
DickPaw, I am convinced that you'd be the omega male of Mantown, you golden shower taking, meat-gazing dandified bitch-boy.
Douchebag
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Unfortunately I've developed quite a taste for the exotic, you get addicted to this stuff....beating the bushes trying to find something challenging back on the dark continent....not that there's many domestic openings to be had anyway.

I'm not exactly rich but I live frugally and the house in the woods and my old Forester are all paid off, so I'm not desperate yet....but my spending habits and taste in women don't allow for too much down time.....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:17 am

Darcy wrote:Unfortunately I've developed quite a taste for the exotic, you get addicted to this stuff....beating the bushes trying to find something challenging back on the dark continent....not that there's many domestic openings to be had anyway.

I'm not exactly rich but I live frugally and the house in the woods and my old Forester are all paid off, so I'm not desperate yet....but my spending habits and taste in women don't allow for too much down time.....

Just remember, live by the sword...
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe