Turkey coup

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Turkey coup

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:59 pm

This Coup is starting to look like it was done by a cartoon government agency (like the OSI from The venture Brothers)

The headline TURKEY WILL NOT BE RUN FROM PENNSYLVANIA

So, this appears to be intra-Erdogan stuff from the Refah Partisi days, but like Q said, probably picked up some targets along the way.

My guess is this Poconos Cleric and Erdogan will make up and return to a tame military.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Q » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Thousands of officers and judges sacked already. Yeah, this wasn't planned.

Jug Ears calling for respect for democracy in Turkey. Yeah....what about Ukraine, asshole?
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby snaark » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:37 pm

snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:07 pm

The worst coup was the 2002 Venezuelan one.

It was sorta funny though and kind of like this one where the Coup made the plotters think they had the Palace but the Palace really had them.

It was a preventative Coup by Chavez who implemented Plan Avila , a banned Military Civilian Control Policy (That Chavez banned in 1999) in order to thwart a coup that he had intel on. That pre-Coup Counter-Coup induced a real coup that was followed by people switching sides multiple times in a few hours, Chavez being flown all over the place by plotters and then plotters who became counter plotters and then back to plotters again and finally back to Miraflores where they thought he was their prisoner but it turned out they were his prisoner.

It was so convoluted I get a headache thinking about it, but that and the Soviet Coup of 1991 should make people remember that sometimes those you plot against emerge stronger after a Coup, but Venezuela's was also like Russia's 1993 Coup in which the President emerged stronger by staging a Coup against the Democratic institutions he himself supported...and then again it was defensive against a real Coup against him. Just too weird.

But lets face it, Coups are fun. Much better than Civil Wars. Civvies rarely get killed, just the players. If I was in a place that had a coup I would stay inside and them come out and party with whomever the winning side was. Cuz that is really the only option a regular person has.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:29 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:Crap. Wait and see how soon Erdogan demands the United States to extradite Gulen from Pennsylvania.

Didn't take long at all.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:24 pm

What a waste. People died. Coup 101: Arrest the leader. The Coupers failed. It is as though this whole thing was theater, a planned P.R. stunt. They may as well remove Ataturk from their currency now and turn his masoleum in Ankara into a shopping mall.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Civilians shot by "civilians" with rounds not in the Turkish armory?

Hello Kiev and your fake "establishment" snipers. But you idiots go ahead and keep falling for the theater.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:54 am

Here is an article that provides good context and recap of yesterday's coup that wasn't. Sorry, I c/p'd it and didn't catch the headline, I think its from The Independent. Bonus in this article is that it includes a poem written about Erdogan by Boris Johnson awhile back when that kerfuffle took place in Germany when Erdogan was in a snit and demanding Merkel prosecute some artist or journalist or something like that and it is just so fucking wickedly delicious that Boris Johnson is the new Secy of State over there in the UK, only they call it something else besides State Sec'y.

[b]Conspiracy theorists are saying the attempted military coup in Turkey was faked, after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan reportedly called it “a gift from Allah”.[/b]

Social media users have compared the coup attempt in which more than 160 people are thought to have died to the Reichstag fire – the 1933 arson attack on the German parliament building which Hitler used as an excuse to suspend civil liberties and order mass arrests of his opponents.

President Erdogan reportedly told supporters at Istanbul’s international airport that the coup attempt was the work of the movement led by the exiled preacher Fethullah Gulen, which he denounced as “an armed terrorist organisation”.

He was quoted as calling the attempted coup "a gift from God," reportedly saying it would help cleanse the military of "members of the gang” who would “pay a heavy price for their treason”.

This immediately led many to fear that President Erdogan, who has previously been accused of persecuting critics, will use the coup as an excuse to further crack down on his opponents. Such fears are likely to be stoked by Turkish TV reports that 2,745 judges have been removed from their offices following the coup attempt.

Some observers have even begun specualting that the coup was stage-managed to give Mr Erdogan an opportunity to purge the military of opponents and increase his grip on Turkey.

Ryan Heath, the senior EU correspondent at Politico, used Twitter to share comments from his “Turkish source”, who called the events of Friday night a “fake coup” which would help a “fake democracy warrior” [Erdogan].

The source said: “Probably we’ll see an early election [in] which he’ll try to guarantee an unbelievable majority of the votes. And this will probably guarantee another 10-15 years of authoritarian, elected dictatorship.

“We’ll possibly see a change in the constitution for worse, which secularism will be gone and Islamist motifs will be in!”

Using the hashtag #TheatreNotCoup, a Twitter user calling himself Subsidiarity Man wrote: “Two words: Reichstag fire. The year was 1933 and you know what happened next.”

Another Twitter user quoted “my special friend in Istanbul” as calling what happened: “Most probably a real coup attempt, which was vaguely known beforehand, and was allowed to proceed, because they knew it to be disorganised and weak.

“This means it will be followed by a real coup by Erdogan himself, and the last remnants of democracy will be lost.”

In a reference to the history of Nazi Germany, the friend added: “A civilian brown-shirt movement is already in the making, and this will rule the streets once the so-called coup is defeated in a couple of days.”

The Gulen movement, also known as Hizmet and led by the US-based moderate Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, has rejected Mr Erdogan’s accusations and denied any involvement in the coup.

The group, which presses for a moderate version of Sunni Islam that emphasises interfaith dialogue, has regularly accused President Erdogan of harassing and unfairly arresting its supporters.

Before the attempted coup, there had also been extensive international criticism of Mr Erdogan’s human rights record, especially his growing repression of the media.

It has been reported that since 2014 1,845 journalists, writers and critics have faced charges of insulting the president, an offence which in Turkey carries a potential jail sentence.

President Erdogan faced particular scrutiny earlier this year after he demanded a criminal prosecution of the German satirist Jan Böhmermann who used profane language to insult him on television.

This prompted the British right-wing magazine The Spectator to run a President Erdogan Offensive Poetry competition – won by the then former London mayor, now Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, with a limerick suggesting the Turkish president had enjoyed sexual congress with a goat.

It read:

[i]There was a young fellow from Ankara

Who was a terrific wankerer

Till he sowed his wild oats

With the help of a goat

But he didn’t even stop to thankera.[/i]

As news of the coup attempt emerged, Mr Johnson issued a series of messages in support of President Erdogan and his “democratic elected government and institutions”.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:20 am

I was just trying to solve your bbcode "not able to use" problem and I am certain it was a bug that should have been cleared up in 2011.

So I gotta see if I can get someone with forum access to fix this and see if they even know the forum still exists.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe