£5 for a pack of smokes? Fuck me.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

£5 for a pack of smokes? Fuck me.

Postby Q » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:27 am

And that's the cheap shit.

Where's Penta Manor? I've got some time to kill and I know she's got a bunker full of smokes.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Re: £5 for a pack of smokes? Fuck me.

Postby Kurt » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:31 am

That's cheaper than NYC now.

Yep, Flying to the UK to buy a pack of camels is cheaper than running to the store down the block.

Well, not including tickets and hotel and stuff.

But next time I am in the UK I am gonna take up smoking again during my time there...to celebrate.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Less than 3 bucks for a pack of Marlboros in Mexico.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:45 pm

£9.30 for a pack of Marlboro in UK. Really is a stupid game.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:00 pm

When I first went there Rothmans was like 2 pounds a packet. I remember because we saw the shape of the logo and said to outselves "that must be like English Marlboro" But it still cost too much for me so I went to Gauloises for like 1.40.

Around that time I also figured out that if I ate only Scotch eggs I could have more money to drink at the Intrepid Fox.

Man, smoking was fun. Dammit.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:41 pm

Intrepid Fox has moved, the old location has become a restaurant chain with tourist couples pecking at their food. Not been to the new location, can't get back the 90s even if we wanted to. Wonder what happened to the super hot goth bird who used to serve pints with a disdainful sneer. Probably married with kids telling them that she was cool once.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:58 am

nowonmai wrote:Intrepid Fox has moved, the old location has become a restaurant chain with tourist couples pecking at their food. Not been to the new location, can't get back the 90s even if we wanted to. Wonder what happened to the super hot goth bird who used to serve pints with a disdainful sneer. Probably married with kids telling them that she was cool once.

1989. A Finnish punk rocker tried to offered herself to my friend and I if we would buy her a mattress. We quickly left her table.

I saw Nik Fiend there, they played Clash City Rockers way too often and I had a lovely talk with a French waif who wore stockings like a barber poles who made drawings of cowboys for me (she thought i would like that because I was American) on matchboxes. She kissed me goodnight and apologized for not sleeping with me (I had not hit on her) which was the most perfect thing to say to a 20 year old guy without sleeping with him since it implied desire.

I owe all that and more to cigs...but yah, can't get that back now. So I will just bum them when convenient.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Yeah I remember that French waif, first time I slept with her she had just managed to shake off this American guy who was weirding her out.

If only this were true
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:31 pm

Marlboros are 3 JD, and that's at my hotel. So, little bit cheaper than the US.

Cancer.....cheaper the further East you go.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Kurt » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:44 pm

nowonmai wrote:Yeah I remember that French waif, first time I slept with her she had just managed to shake off this American guy who was weirding her out.

Heh...that is probably her recollection of it in a way.

"He kept on asking me to draw him stuff because he caught me scribbling due to the boredom of talking to him..I meant to say "I will never sleep with you so why bother?" but my English was not good then and it came out differently seeing how happy he looked..but he left so it all ended well."
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:00 pm

Kurt wrote:
nowonmai wrote:Yeah I remember that French waif, first time I slept with her she had just managed to shake off this American guy who was weirding her out.

Heh...that is probably her recollection of it in a way.

"He kept on asking me to draw him stuff because he caught me scribbling due to the boredom of talking to him..I meant to say "I will never sleep with you so why bother?" but my English was not good then and it came out differently seeing how happy he looked..but he left so it all ended well because this suave British bloke then bought me a Babycham and took me back to his B&B and we were banging like a shithouse door til dawn then I treated him to a fry up before tearfully waving him off at the station, never to see him again. What a guy!

Sorted.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby CamMan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 am

4$ for a pack of Marlboro(go on their website for free stuff and enter for a trip-)and most other name brands, between 4$ or 5$

In southern Alabama-
CamMan

Postby Glassgost » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:13 pm

I keep telling myself I'll quit when Camels reach a certain price, and every time it gets there I come up with a new price.
Glassgost

Postby Bronco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Back when I lived in North Carolina I worked for a cigarette manufacturer and smoked three packs a day. I quit when they raised the price from thirty cents a pack to thirty five cents a pack.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:50 pm

Bronco wrote:Back when I lived in North Carolina I worked for a cigarette manufacturer and smoked three packs a day. I quit when they raised the price from thirty cents a pack to thirty five cents a pack.

So what were cigarettes like back in 1906?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe