How the Muslim World Views Isis

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

How the Muslim World Views Isis

Postby ROB » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Surprisingly well in Malaysia...

ROB
BFCus Regularus

Re: How the Muslim World Views Isis

Postby Kurt » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:17 pm

Wonder why they did not poll Qatar, Bahrain and KSA?

I also wonder if the poll was done by Muslims?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:57 am

No idea, but Pew would probably have to hire the relevant language speakers in house and it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to think that a reasonable proportion of them would be muzzies.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:09 pm

http://www.pewglobal.org/international-survey-methodology/?year_select=2015

Methodology for this survey result (if you believe it).

eg, Malaysia

Year: 2015

Survey: Global Attitudes Spring 2015

Sample Design: Multi-stage, area probability design. Primary sampling units (PSUs) are electoral districts stratified by state and urbanity. The number of effective PSUs is 125. Individuals within households are selected using computer randomization. At least three attempts are made to complete the interview with the selected respondent.

Mode: Face-to-face

Languages: Bahasa Malay, Mandarin Chinese, English

Fieldwork Dates: April 6 - May 11, 2015

Sample Size: 1,000

Margin of Error: 3.8 percentage points

Representative: Adult population 18 plus (excluding difficult to access areas in Sabah and Sarawak and areas in Kelantan due to flooding)

Primary Vendor: Princeton Survey Research Associates International

Weighting Variables: Gender, age and urbanity

Design Effects: 1.51
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Imagine face to face would be a little low on the "i love isis" results.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby dogtanian » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:19 pm

Looks like a load of 'progressive liberalist' chaff to me. I'd love to know how that survey was actually conducted. Presumably not by telephone poll, or students on the 'high street' handing out questionnaires to passers-by. It strikes me that that people in some of these countries don't have a clear idea of what ISIS actually is. People who live in mud huts and tin-roofed shacks generally don't have TV's or even radios.

A more interesting survey would have been one which shows the proportion of Muslims - living in western countries - who support ISIS. The numbers would be much higher I think.

/.dog
"Truth is cool; but unattainable..."
dogtanian
BFCus Regularus

Location: Amsterdam - Douala - HCMC - Singapore - Wellington - Whistler

Postby RYP » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:28 pm

Of course they love the caliphate. It will stop Allah from dropping their aircraft.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Kurt » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:38 pm

On a similar note:

I am friends with a lot of computer geeks from Pakistan that came from my time in charge of tech support for a web hosting company (Paks know their stuff, Indians don't in level 1 and 2 support).

Pakistanis who live in Pakistan hate ISIS (at least the computer nerds do) but the Pakistanis who live in the UK...well, they seem to dig ISIS. Much to the embarrassment of Pakistanis in Pakistan. The UK ones seem to think ISIS looks bad because of "Propaganda".

Also interesting among Pak Dorkwads is the view of Brexit and Donald Trump. They support both movements in the West but they hate them as well. The reason for the support is they feel that the west is less likely to bomb them someday (they thought Clinton's first action in office would be to bomb parts of Pakistan) but at the same time they hate them both because they are certain this would limit their chance to immigrate to either the US or to the UK.

When I asked them if Pakistan should allow Christian immigration from war torn areas in Africa they said no, not at all. That Christian nations should take Christian refugees and they understood the urge to stop foreign immigration in the West but, for their own financial reasons, they did not want that to end.

They seem to have a better grasp of what the English speaking West is than English speaking Westerners do.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Jefe » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:25 pm

The Paki's hate us out loud in public for drone strikes etc., for some public consumption with a wink and a nod. They could shut a lot of that down if they wanted to. Interesting about the Paki geeks and not surprising at all about the UK Pakis. The UK seems to tolerate and legitimize radicals, but I say again seems. I don't have firsthand knowledge of that.

PS: A guy calls the Suicide Hotline and gets switched to a Paki Call Center. When he tells the operator he is suicidal, the Call Center guy says "Do you know how to drive a truck?"
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:34 am

dogtanian wrote:Looks like a load of 'progressive liberalist' chaff to me. I'd love to know how that survey was actually conducted.

Somebody literally posted the link to the methodology you twit.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:21 am

ROB wrote:
dogtanian wrote:Looks like a load of 'progressive liberalist' chaff to me. I'd love to know how that survey was actually conducted.

Somebody literally posted the link to the methodology you twit.

Yes I thought that would be a bit orf to mention that fact.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:26 am

dogtanian wrote: People who live in mud huts and tin-roofed shacks generally don't have TV's or even radios.

They may not have much food or teeth to chew it, but they got a either a combo DVD/TV player hooked up to a car battery or a smartphone.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Jefe » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:17 am

How I view ISIS (10 yrs after joining this forum and I still cant post a picture).

But, proper sight picture. At this stage of the game, the barrel has bipods that are sort of like curb feelers for the blind and aged. They look like canes when the fold out.

Part of the deception plan.
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe