Getting Sick: $2 Malaria Pill

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Getting Sick: $2 Malaria Pill

Postby RYP » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:18 am

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... aria-pills

The “pharma bro” who increased the price of a life-saving medicine, Daraprim, by 5,000% has been rattled by a group of Australian school students who managed to make the same drug for $2 per pill.

Former hedge fund manager Martin Shkreli last year bought Turing Pharmaceuticals and almost immediately increased the price of the drug – which has been off-patent since the 1970s – from US$13.50 to US$750 a tablet.

The drug is used to treat certain types of malaria as well as toxoplasmosis, a rare and life-threatening infection caused by the Toxoplasma parasite which particularly affects people with weakened immune systems, such as those with HIV.

Australian students recreate Martin Shkreli price-hike drug in school lab
Read more
To show how exorbitant Shkreli’s pricing of the drug was, a group of year 11 students aged 16 and 17 from Sydney Grammar aimed to recreate the drug molecule in their school laboratory under the guidance of Dr Alice Williamson and Associate Professor Matthew Todd from the Open Source Malaria consortium.

They succeeded, making the drug for a mere $2 a pill.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: Getting Sick: $2 Malaria Pill

Postby Jefe » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:44 pm

When they grow up they can sell ecstasy and really cash in.
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:33 am

My doctor told me that the malaria pill has bad side effects. Perhaps the kids could hybridize the malaria pill with ecstasy to mitigate that.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:14 am

Dont take pills. Life is much better without them. (With the exception of anti-biotics).

Rather take my chances with Malaria and/or nerve gas than take the prophylactics.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Nowonmai

Postby Jefe » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm with you Nowonmai. Pills are bad news. One thing I see so clearly about my country that's sad is that every commercial on US TV is "Take a pill; take a pill". Thats not health.

And you are dead on about anti biotics. I learned the hard way that you can not just ride out food poisoning somewhere around my 3rd time with it. You are simply ineffective and dragging things down until you get anti biotics and get moving again.

Hope all is well on your end of the world. I have had to postone my US travel plans and am heading to Medellin. I sort of miss the old days when people were fleeing Colombia, but peace has broken out now. At the same time, real glad to be able to get into the countryside which is spectacular there.

All the Best
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:46 pm

Cipro is god.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Re: Nowonmai

Postby ROB » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:03 am

Jefe wrote:Hope all is well on your end of the world. I have had to postone my US travel plans and am heading to Medellin. I sort of miss the old days when people were fleeing Colombia, but peace has broken out now. At the same time, real glad to be able to get into the countryside which is spectacular there.

All the Best

You should do an updated summary of the place for the board. Would be interesting to hear how it is now compared to the bad old days.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe