Pistol suggestion that is compact & still with stopping powe

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Pistol suggestion that is compact & still with stopping

Postby Lost Boy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:03 am

If you want subcompact, I suggest taking a look at Smith & Wesson's M&P Shield. It comes in 9x19 mm and also .40 S&W. If you want compact, look at a Glock 23. It is chambered in .40. You can get an extra 9mm drop in barrel and a couple of Glock 19 mags, that way you can shoot 2 common calibers with the same gun. Swapping out the barrels can be done in under 20 seconds.
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:00 pm

+1 for M&P Shield
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:30 pm

I just slap people with my magic wandImage

Seems to stop most of them.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby db36046 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:26 am

If you want compact & concealable with solid stopping power, and don't have a lot of firearm experience but plan to get some basic training, think about a .357 magnum revolver. I have a Smith & Wesson model 649 snub nose revolver fitted with a Crimson Trace laser dot sight. It's easy to shoot and small enough to carry discreetly. I usually load it with .38 Special hollow points, which have plenty of stopping power, but I can use the .357 Magnum option if I expect to be attacked by anything bigger than a human. Revolvers are less complicated than semi-auto pistols, so they're usually better for people who are new to firearms. One disadvantage of most small revolvers is that you can only load 5 rounds (bullets) at a time, while pistols may allow more. You can overcome this disadvantage to a large extent by practicing reloading until you can do it reliably and quickly under stress.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby GJG » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:18 am

Bash me if you want, but I still think 9mm +P provides acceptable stopping power. The pre-2000 Kahr K-9 Elites are concealable and can eat the +P ammunition (later years seem to not have the same reliability). Since you would buy used, you are not technically supporting the Moonies.
GJG

Postby Jefe » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:17 pm

Lost Boy and Nowonmai get it right. M&P Shield and 9mm with a plus up round is fine.

I actually still like revolvers quite a bit and the old 38 with plus P is an easy, affordable carry. Revolvers also don't leave brass laying around and soft lead hollow points aren't 100% cooperative with ballistics.
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby cowboycraig » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:38 am

Glock 43. I Never Leave Home Without it! Have shot the fuck out of it, and it is equal to its big Glock brothers and sisters.

9mm is fine and cheap. I love .45 but don't think it is worth the $$$ for the extra weight and hole size. In the end, the hole in a person is the size of a pencil lead regardless of handgun caliber.

I do like to use 115 grain Hornady Critical Defense ammo because it kicks ass and is made for the short barrelled 9mm.
AMMO TEST: 9mm Hornady Critical Defense
https://youtu.be/AiWMo9GFrws

Can always get 115 grain standard 9mm to train with, and train cheap.

Shooting and comparing the Glock 43 single-stack 9mm.

https://youtu.be/8pHdg4F15aQ
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Postby cowboycraig » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:39 am

GJG wrote:Bash me if you want, but I still think 9mm +P provides acceptable stopping power. The pre-2000 Kahr K-9 Elites are concealable and can eat the +P ammunition (later years seem to not have the same reliability). Since you would buy used, you are not technically supporting the Moonies.

9mm kills shit same as .45.

We all have to one day face the reality that a Glock in 9mm is the perfect handgun ;)
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Postby cowboycraig » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:41 am

I would carry one of these... if I wanted to take someone out nice and quiet.

Welrod Mk IIA (Video)
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/welrod-mk-iia-video/
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lost Boy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:34 pm

db36046 wrote:If you want compact & concealable with solid stopping power, and don't have a lot of firearm experience but plan to get some basic training, think about a .357 magnum revolver. I have a Smith & Wesson model 649 snub nose revolver fitted with a Crimson Trace laser dot sight. It's easy to shoot and small enough to carry discreetly. I usually load it with .38 Special hollow points, which have plenty of stopping power, but I can use the .357 Magnum option if I expect to be attacked by anything bigger than a human. Revolvers are less complicated than semi-auto pistols, so they're usually better for people who are new to firearms. One disadvantage of most small revolvers is that you can only load 5 rounds (bullets) at a time, while pistols may allow more. You can overcome this disadvantage to a large extent by practicing reloading until you can do it reliably and quickly under stress.

There is literally no benefit to carrying .357 magnum loads in a revolver with a less than 4 inch barrel. Otherwise, you are getting completely diminished returns regarding ballistic energy delivered vs. felt recoil and cost. If you are a fan of revolvers that's fine, but if you have a snub nose, use .38 +P instead of .357.

If you are a fan of winning gunfights, use an automatic. Revolvers are relics from the 20th century that only still sell because of the demand created by old codgers who don't actually fight anymore, but like to reminisce on the good old days when they did. Now, there is nothing a revolver can do that an automatic can't do better. As an update to my previous post on this thread, I highly recommend the .357 SIG cartridge. I have seen the post shooting ballistics data of several police departments, which consistently show 1 and 2 shot stops with this caliber. You can't beat that data.
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby db36046 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:33 am

The Glock 43 is great and very concealable. I had one for a few months but sold it to a friend who needed it a few weeks back. I plan to get another one as soon as I find gainful employment.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:01 am

db36046 wrote:The Glock 43 is great and very concealable. I had one for a few months but sold it to a friend who needed it a few weeks back. I plan to get another one as soon as I find gainful employment.

This could be the opening lines of a great book.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby blackhood1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 am

It all depends upon your choice and your needs!
blackhood1
mach

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!