New Bill Introduced In Congress To Legalize Silencers

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

New Bill Introduced In Congress To Legalize Silencers

Postby Hitoru » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:36 am

The title of my subject is not totally accurate. First, I was trying to keep the title brief; second they, the congressmen, are wanting to basically decriminalize (as technically they are already legal) them, by taking them off the NFA registry, and treat them the same as long guns. Thus not having to do the paperwork and pay the $200 transfer tax. It's already legal to make your own in 42 out of the 50 states if you file the right forms, get approval from the ATF, pay the $200 transfer tax and stamp a serial number on the device.(and wait up to eight months for approval)

There are already around 900,000 legally registered suppressors owned by Americans, I have glossed over the fact that to possess NFA items but you currently need to get a NFA trust set up with a lawyer ($$$) or get a signature from the proper law enforcement official in your county of residence which is improbable .

Cut and paste from American Suppressor Association : WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Suppressor Association (ASA) is pleased to announce the reintroduction of the Hearing Protection Act (HPA) by Rep. Jeff Duncan (SC-03) and Rep. John Carter (TX-31). This historic piece of legislation, which was originally introduced by Rep. Matt Salmon (AZ-05) in the 114th Congress, will remove suppressors from the purview of the National Firearms Act (NFA), replacing the antiquated federal transfer process with an instantaneous NICS background check. The HPA also includes a provision to refund the $200 transfer tax to applicants who purchase a suppressor after October 22, 2015, which was the original date of introduction.

“The American Suppressor Association believes that citizens should not have to pay a tax to protect their hearing while exercising their Second Amendment rights,” said Knox Williams, President and Executive Director of the ASA. “We are thrilled for the opportunity to work with Representatives Duncan and Carter, who have reintroduced the Hearing Protection Act in this new Congress. Although we recognize that introducing this bill is the first step in what will be a lengthy process to change federal law, we look forward to working on the Duncan-Carter bill, alongside the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation and the NRA to advance and ultimately enact this common-sense legislation.”

Also known as silencers, suppressors are the hearing protection of the 21st century sportsman. Despite common Hollywood-based misconceptions, the laws of physics dictate that no suppressor will ever be able to render gunfire silent. Suppressors are simply mufflers for firearms, which function by trapping the expanding gasses at the muzzle, allowing them to slowly cool in a controlled environment. On average, suppressors reduce the noise of a gunshot by 20 – 35 decibels (dB), roughly the same sound reduction as earplugs or earmuffs. In addition to hearing protection, suppressors also mitigate noise complaints from those who live near shooting ranges and hunting lands.

Unfortunately, suppressors have been federally regulated since the passage of the National Firearms Act of 1934. The NFA regulates the transfer and possession of certain types of firearms and devices, including suppressors. Currently, prospective buyers must send in a Form 4 application to the ATF, pay a $200 transfer tax per suppressor, undergo the same background check process that is required to purchase a machine gun, and wait months for the ATF to process and approve the paperwork. In stark contrast, many countries in Europe place no regulations on their purchase, possession, or use.

The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act will fix the flawed federal treatment of suppressors, making it easier for hunters and sportsmen to protect their hearing in the 42 states where private suppressor ownership is currently legal, and the 40 states where hunting with a suppressor is legal. This legislation will remove suppressors from the onerous requirements of the NFA, and instead require purchasers to pass an instant NICS check, the same background check that is used during the sale of long guns. In doing so, law-abiding citizens will remain free to purchase suppressors, while prohibited persons will continue to be barred from purchasing or possessing these accessories

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/367?r=21

Here is an anti suppressor argument link :http://lawnewz.com/opinion/gop-introduces-perhaps-most-absurd-gun-law-yet/
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Re: New Bill Introduced In Congress To Legalize Silencers

Postby Darcy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Legal in most of the Scandinavian countries, Norway doesn't even require a permit. Totally forbidden in Canada. My ears are still ringing from rabbit hunting last weekend with a 20 ga. side by side....doubt they make suppressors for those anyway.....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm all for minimizing noise pollution. It will be nice to be able to watch Real Housewives and all my favorite shows without having to hear the constant crack of gunfire in my neighborhood. Will the police have these silencers on their guns as well?
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Don't suppressors make guns less accurate?

That's a genuine question btw. I have no idea about these things.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:29 pm

I love the sound of gunfire be it an SA80, LMG or Glock. I love the smell too.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:14 am

Anyone know why they would want to regulate or ban silencers? Any logical reason?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:37 am

Win!!!
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 am

I believe the idea in Canada is to thwart pouching, as deer jacking (catching deer in headlights at night) for meat is still common in rural areas (Not sure how bright these guys are as it seems like horse or cattle are mistakenly shot every year in Nova Scotia).

The older rubber baffled designs slowed the bullet and negatively affected accuracy, the newer designs less so, and the belief is the reduced recoil and noise helps shooters improve their accuracy (as opposed to comparing accuracy from a gun sled with/without suppressor).

I'd use them if I could just for my ears.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Anyone know why they would want to regulate or ban silencers? Any logical reason?

Because Americans for all their bluster are panicky little faggots. They've seen too many movies and think things like Glocks pass through metal detectors and suppressors are only used by assassins.

Be right back...buying a suppressor over the counter in Finland because it's considered neighborly.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby MJK » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Bad news for the Free Ranging Pets Association. Never stepped in cat shit on my property, so they get a pass.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby goat balls » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:26 pm

But, how will this affect the LQBTFAG people and global warming? The REAL issues of our time. You people want to legalize silencers and trannies aren't free to use whatever bathroom they want? You're all racist.

Remember, there are many ways to skin a hobo. Pro tip: don't let them get cold.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Moderators (as shooting people call them here; calling them silencers gets knowing smirks 'Walt alert') are very common in UK - it's rare to see a rifle without one (usually some deaf old buffer with a Stutzen who bangs away in a wood like it's first day of the Somme and comes out empty handed apart from a few winged hikers). Moderators allow you to shoot close to habitation without disturbing the Walt Disney great unwashed who think that deer are pretty. In this country that is important given the crowded nature of the Isles.

Best moderators by a country mile in my opinion are Finnish - Ase Utra. They do not effect accuracy or range to any discernible degree and also reduce recoil. Win win. Only downside is that it's harder to bring the weapon to bear out of the car window due to extended length. So smart people cut barrels right back given that pokability is much more important than dicking around at extended range (which is the sort of thing that people who collect stamps or paint lead soldiers do). I plodded around for years with long guns with fuck off sights for years before I got loaned a cut down Blaser, x6 sight and Ase moderator by a bloke who shoots for a living. No going back after that. Had to starve myself for a month.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Q wrote:
ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Anyone know why they would want to regulate or ban silencers? Any logical reason?

Because Americans for all their bluster are panicky little faggots. They've seen too many movies and think things like Glocks pass through metal detectors and suppressors are only used by assassins.

Be right back...buying a suppressor over the counter in Finland because it's considered neighborly.

Pretty much - it was supposed to make the Italian Mafias a little less deadly, which didn't work, but by the time they snapped to that the law was on the books and hard to remove. No matter how much you dislike Donald Trump, one of the silver linings will be deregulating silencers and other weird gun restrictions. People who worked on the Hillary campaign are stoked to see this happen, because eardrums.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Hitoru » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 pm

snaark wrote:Don't suppressors make guns less accurate?

That's a genuine question btw. I have no idea about these things.

Generally, no. But I have shot a pistol that the shot group opened up a bit when the can (suppressor) was installed.
They are used on sniper rifles all the time up to .50 caliber , hell they even have them for shotguns these days.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Hitoru » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:49 pm

They were initially regulated by the Gun Control Act of 1934 to deter gangsters from purchasing them as well as machine gun and short barrelled rifles and shotguns.

After many cases involving gun silencers in criminal activity (such as poaching, mob crimes, and robberies), law enforcement agencies started looking at ways to ban silencers. At the same time, mobs were using machine guns and hand grenades in their escapades, which drew even more attention to the need to ban certain items. Then U.S. Attorney General, Homer S. Cummings, recognized that firearms could not be banned outright under the second amendment, so he proposed restrictive regulation in the form of an expensive tax and Federal registration. Short barreled rifles and short barrel shotguns were also regulated by this act of congress since the ability to easily conceal them made law enforcement agencies nervous.

In 1934, the National Firearms Act was approved and passed by congress, and the expensive tax of $200 was set on any legal purchase of the certain items listed in the bill. At that time, $200 was far more expensive than any item that was purchased, making it almost impossible for a citizen with an average income to acquire. Plus you had to get Local and Federal approval to purchase such items.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe