New Bill Introduced In Congress To Legalize Silencers

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: New Bill Introduced In Congress To Legalize Silencers

Postby Hitoru » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:00 pm

I can't hardly wait to get a couple, mainly for hog hunting. I won't have to coordinate with a pal that has one to go hunting like I have to do now if I want to use one. I have a digital day/night sight and with a suppressor the pigs won't know what direction my shots are coming from.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:26 pm

It's funny to watch all my left-wing liberal Hillary-supporting friends get super excited to buy silencers for hunting, because we HATE anything that comes with a #thankstrump or #thanksGOP hashtag. If the GOP gets us universal healthcare it's going to be a cognitive dissonance meltdown, and I'm going to be part of it lol.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby nowonmai » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:06 am

Militaries have been very slow to adopt moderators in mainstream troops. In WW2, German experimental infantry units were generated in Berlin and showed that with individual comms and moderators, a major force multiplier effect was achieved - particularly in urban combat. We still haven't learned that lesson and this is largely driven by a lowest common denominator procurement system which can barely organise the purchase of a new rifle system, let alone a moderator to go in it. You can now get mods for belt fed weapons such as GPMG too. When they finally wake up to this some lucky manufacturer is going to have a bonanza.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

SNARKs QUESTION

Postby Jefe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Actually, a good question Snaark.

Suppressors affect the internal and therefore external/terminal ballistics of the firearm quite a bit.

One key thing that normally happens, is that you start to run sub-sonic ammo thru them which doesn't break the sound barrier to keep it suppressed. This means a reduced powder load, adjustments to the grain (weight) of the bullet and ballistic performance.

Simple answer, if you screw on a suppressor and start running regular ammo thru it, it won't be as silent as they are supposed to be and will impact the performance of your weapons. Some of them need to be cleaned a lot too.

One company I used to deal with (Advanced Armament) used to have a quiet marketing sticker with the 3 Monkeys:

See No Evil (Hands over eyes)
Speak No Evil (Hands over Mouth)
Hear No Evil (Monkey waving a AAC Suppressed Pistol over his head)
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:49 am

I still stand by it, with modern moderators, there is little to no discernible difference to ammunition performance for the vast majority of engagement requirements. Out to 600m with a .308 on a bench there is no difference to mod on or mod off. I didn't read this anywhere to get my info, I tested it. This misconception is what prevents front end people crying out for moderators and therefore fat,dumb, lazy procurement staff never bother to do anything about it. hence the fact that in 2017 we are still fucking about creating huge noise signatures, reducing accuracy (due to felt recoil) and deafening our people (because they still havent designed hearing protection that troops will actually use in the field). Still, not my concern, I just shoot furry things.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jefe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:11 pm

You raise a good point and I view the issue thru the eyes of sniper world and I am dated at that where naturally any variable plays into a big picture and adds up as well as being magnified at range.

I remember seeing instructors try to teach the effect of wind (for M16/4 series rifles) in Advanced Rifle MMShip. LOL, short of a hurricane, at 300 or so meters, none of it really matters.

Kind of like tracers being much lighter due to the chemical innards rather than lead. Yeah, the hit higher due to weight (which burns and gets lighter as they go). Does that really make a significant shit at 400 M? There are more important things to teach them on that that.

And, I remember the days where they were called "Hush Puppies" after a popular shoe.

Soon, I will need brail on the turrets and a scope just to be able to see far.

Going to Idaho in March though and will be shooting again and at furry edible critters.
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, inevitably wind up plowing for people with swords".

Jefe: well into a 12 pack of LaBatts Blue (AKA "BlueDevils"
Jefe
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe