yemen

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

yemen

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Just came into some big money and looking at places to go. Anyone been to Yemen lately? Wondering about the security sitiation...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Re: yemen

Postby nowonmai » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:12 pm

crotalus01 wrote:Just came into some big money and looking at places to go. Anyone been to Yemen lately? Wondering about the security sitiation...

Jesus man, I didn't realise you had a death wish. If you have big money to spend then can I handle your K&R please?

The security situation in Yemen is dire, gusting fucking awful. If you even sniff of being a foreigner and you haven't got serious wasta behind you then you've got about a day. They might just be stunned into paralysis for a few hours by wondering what a yank is going sight seeing in Yemen (like this is the worst honey trap ever) but as soon as they realise you are just a pink piece of meat on your own, then they'll eat you. Same same Libya.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:02 am

No death wish Nowonmai, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. A Yemeni friend told me Aden is safe and Sanaa is currently fucked. As my interest is in Sanaa, Yemen is off the list. Algeria is looking great as long as I can arrange a visa. Any idea about the situation in Tunisia, and if the land border can be crossed from Algeria?
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:53 am

Good to hear from you crotalus. A few years ago on this board you may have heard from someone here who had actually been or had contacts there but now you have armchair experts regurgitating stuff floating round the web. Yemen is a place I want to go but just keeps on getting shittier. The highlands are under the control of the death to America crowd and in Shibam and thereabouts the rimmers are setting up their emirate so any place interesting sounds really dodgy. I did read somewhere that direct flights from Amman to Socrata may be starting up though.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Good to see you're still around RKE. Glad there's someone on here that still travels. Anyways looking more and more like Algeria and Tunisia - I was just putting out feelers for some place a bit more adventurous. If I can't see Sanaa and Shibam then Yemen is off my list for now.
How did this place end up with armchair travelors?? Used to be some well traveled folks on here - are any sill around?
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby nowonmai » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 pm

I have a one strike policy in life which has served me well to date.

Strike one.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:51 am

Meaning exactly what Nowonmai??
This used to be about advice and tips for traveling to the places we're not supposed to go. WTF happened to theBFC Regularusedone that ones who had been there done that here's the scoop kinda travelers? Svizeramiss, Laal_khan Coldharvest Rickshaw Kurt etc?
I recognize you as pretty old school but where have you traveled to that's a DP? Why are you so down on me asking about potential DPs to visit?
Just FYI - for me not tons of DP countries. Afghanistan Mauritania Western Sahara Azerbaijan Mexico Israel Jordan.
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 pm

You asked a question - got an answer and then cocked off with some cunt about armchair travellers, based on your obvious total lack of fucking knowledge of the environment. Well you and your knowledgeable pals obviously have it all under control so good luck and hasta la vista. Buh bye.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:13 am

Why so sensitive Nowonmi? Sand in the vag? I didn't ask your permission to go, was just looking for info. If you reread this thread I think you'll find YOU started with the insults. So fuck you and your one shot policy. You wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes on these forums 20 years ago...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 am

crotalus01 wrote:Just came into some big money and looking at places to go. Anyone been to Yemen lately? Wondering about the security sitiation...

Did you get to Yemen in the end? Incredible country. I was lucky enough to check out Sana'a and Jabal Haraz before the place got trashed by the Saudis. Not too sure I'd be up for visiting now though.

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:52 pm

No. Was looking at maybe trying it this summer but it appears that I could only do Aden and Socotra with any reasonable chance of coming back alive...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:25 pm

Some friends of mine visited Socotra, and said it was one of the most beautiful places they had ever seen. But they were based in Sana'a at the time. Not sure how you would get there now without transiting through that warzone. I know Felix Airways used to fly there direct from Sharjah (UAE), but their route map now seems to have a stop-over in Yemen proper! http://www.felixairways.com/destination.php

Might be worth asking these guys? http://socotra.info/how-to-get-socotra- ... JC6FVOLSUk
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:02 am

Meh. I'd risk a layover in Sanaa, maybe even a couple of days but my real goal was Shibam which apparently is undoable without a 95% fatality risk so in looking elsewhere for now. Hopefully things will get better eventually.
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:34 pm

Was twice on the mainland before the shit really hit the fan. Got to Shibam while it was still okay although getting a bit iffy. (Fly-in, fly-out, and local officials both surprised and nervous at seeing me.) Yemen is an absolutely unique country. No remotely similar architecture anywhere in the world. Aden is alright, but nowhere as enchanting as Sana'a, so in my opinion not even worth a small risk. I never got to Socotra, but it looks like everybody who went there loved it. It is known chiefly for its unique and weird nature, but it is not what people typically associate with Yemen. Nevertheless, you might want to keep an eye on these direct international flights. Even if the airline refuels on the mainland it should not be too risky - few civilian pilots have a death wish...

Really a damned shame that Yemen and Syria are off the travel list, most likely for many years to come.
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Syria might be doable now fron what friends on the ground have told me - Damascus anyways. Gonna be in Lebanon in May or June so if I'm feeling froggy and can get a visa at the border I might risk it.
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe