Trinidad & Tobago

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Trinidad & Tobago

Postby Darcy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 am

OMG...I think I landed my dream job. Not exactly a dangerous place.....

So got laid off from the company that had me touring overseas on exploration contracts for 18 years last March after flying a Puma from Gabon to Poland. The company is now under Chapter 11 with no work whatsoever. Picked up some work in the simulator in Italy, the simulator in Newark, Kazakhstan on and off again, turned down a very lucrative but managerial post in Sakhalin, Russia, a resident post in Oman, a VIP gig in Saudi, some arctic work in Iqaluit...then I met some management from the Trinidad Government's aviation department and they just happen to be adding the type I've been instructing/checking on for the past five years and they've asked me to head up their program!!!!!

4/4, awesome coin, plus all the extras...straight shot down (no 36 hours of travel to get there!) and same time zone as home, all in a little Caribbean paradise!

Not there yet so I'm probably jinxing it right now, but I've signed the 2 year offer....

I set up and managed an operation in Suriname about two years ago so I know the area well, and have transitioned through once or twice. But if anyone has anything to add....but in reality, I'm just bragging.....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Re: Trinidad & Tobago

Postby Lost Boy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Congratulations. When do you start?
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Thank you Sir...was supposed to get travel arrangements yesterday for next week, but things don't happen too quickly down there.

Just studying up their air law this weekend, as I'll be a check-airman approved by their Civil Aviation Admin (hopefully). Sounds like they want me to get into their military training as well, teaching hoisting (that's what I have been doing the past 5 years) and fast-roping (never done it) and bucketing water on fires (got tons of time doing that but it's been 2 decades). They've got an apartment set up for me already, not sure if it's a dive in the slums or something nice, but I can't wait to get down there and set up. I am hoping to get myself a boat and start inviting people down for fishing trips......

My dream job but don't want to get too excited until I'm actually down there and established and collecting pay, I've had some sweet deals slip through the cracks before.....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Awesome
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Congratulations! I did a big tour of Trinidad, Tobago, Guyana, French Guiana and Suriname back in 2012. Port of Spain is a pretty cool place with great nightlife. Also a great jumping off point for the mainland. You have to check out Tobago, it's stunning!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks Guys, I'm here now. Unfortunately I'm based in the middle of the island and the entire coast line is mangrove swap, the nearest beach is an hour drive, and no pool either.....damn.....small town with a few restaurants, bars, groceries and hardware stores etc.. I'm the only ex-pat at present.

Friendly enough but lots of warnings of muggings by youth with guns, but down here it's safer than most of Port of Spain.....or so I'm told. Seems friendly to me. Ignorance is bliss.

I'll be busy writing all their manuals and procedures for the new type, writing their aviation exams to get my licence here, etc. but probably headed to the US to pick up one helo in the next two weeks.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:04 pm

Nothing too spectacular but first shots of the area;

http://www.darcyhooverphotos.ca/Trinidad-Tobago/

The aircraft type I'll be flying isn't even here yet, I may go pick it up in the US next week if its ready. Otherwise writing the ops and training manuals for it. Monitored a check ride on an S76 so did get airborne at least. Sweet gig, just wish there was a beach closer.......
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:42 am

Still looks a lot nicer than here...Where's the beach?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:06 pm

The beaches are along the North shore (the one in the photo is Maracas), about an hour drive in light traffic. There's beaches to the South (an hour too) but the water is murky and oily, or so I'm told. The West coast is all mangrove swamp, that's where I am. I'm told the amazing beaches are in Tobago.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:54 am

Good photos mate. Keep em coming!
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Will do. Loving the sleepy part of the island, but I have not yet found a descent bar....the ones where local ladies won't leave you alone.

Lots of gunfire one street over last night, but as there were no screeching tires or yelling or screams, I'm assuming it was someone's birthday. Big ass spider in my bathroom too. Thoroughly enjoying the place so far. Bringing a mountain bike next tour.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:08 am

Descent bars - the only ones worth visiting.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:40 am

Descent into the bowels of debauchery.....thinking one thing and typing another.....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe