Asymmetric Warfare

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Asymmetric Warfare

Postby michelle in alaska » Thu May 21, 2015 12:33 am

...and: it's fourth generation warfare, not fourth dimensional.
although I guess that was the dimension I was in when I wrote the initial post.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:50 am

No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Mon May 30, 2016 11:14 am

dear ones....no need to redirect to rotten tomatoes.
this is not a good movie.
it is a movie about something not good.
new asymmetric warfare.
capiche?
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon May 30, 2016 4:22 pm

I couldn't give less of a toss about the poor tortured consciences of some people operating remotely piloted vehicles on behalf of their governments. If they can't take a joke they shouldn't have joined. Next.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Yeah; they're all drones, no cojones.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:01 am

MJK wrote:Yeah; they're all drones, no cojones.

You're on a roll!

Sure, it's through the front gates of retard town, but keep it going!
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:57 pm

ROB wrote:
MJK wrote:Yeah; they're all drones, no cojones.

You're on a roll!

Sure, it's through the front gates of retard town, but keep it going!

but it only works if you pronounce it drohonees

How about

they're all unmanned aerial vehicles, no ginormous testicles
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 pm

The judges have accepted that response.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:24 am

nowonmai wrote:I couldn't give less of a toss about the poor tortured consciences of some people operating remotely piloted vehicles on behalf of their governments. If they can't take a joke they shouldn't have joined. Next.

oh mon ami, im sure NOONE gives a sh*t about the 'pilots'.
the movie is only useful as dissemination of information...
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:17 am

If it ever comes out, then I imagine Eeben Barlow's book on PMC work in Africa will be an interesting addition. I first ordered it in September 2015 and publication has been pushed back a number of times! Latest news is it will be out this August, according to his blog: http://eebenbarlowsmilitaryandsecurityblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Here's the blurb:

As a continent, Africa presents her armies with a vast, dynamic and multi-dimensional operating environment. It has numerous complex and diverse ethnic, religious, cultural and tribal interests and loyalties, along with many multifaceted threat-drivers coupled to varied and infrastructure-poor terrain plus vast climatic variations. The continent is, furthermore, characterized by numerous half-won conflicts and wars fought by incorrectly structured, inadequately trained and ill-equipped armies. For many reasons, these forces have difficulty adapting to the complex, demanding and rapidly changing environments they do battle in. Similarly, the armies have difficulty in decisively defeating the various threats they face. Many of these problems stem from the fact that numerous modern-day African armies are merely clones of the armies established by their once-colonial masters, their Cold War allies or their new international allies. Many of the principles and tactics, techniques and procedures they were - and still are - being taught relate to fighting in Europe and not in Africa. Some of these concepts are not even relevant to Africa. This book is intended as a guide and textbook for African soldiers and scholars who wish to understand the development of hostilities, strategy, operational design, doctrine and tactics. It also illustrates the importance of non-partisanship and the mission and role of the armed forces. Officers, NCOs and their subordinates need to, furthermore, understand their role in defending and protecting the government and the people they serve. They additionally need to know how to successfully accomplish their numerous missions with aggression, audacity, boldness, speed and surprise. The book provides the reader with valuable information relating to conventional and unconventional manoeuvre. It also discusses how African armies can, with structured and balanced forces, achieve strategic, operational and tactical success. It covers the role of government along with operations related to war, operations other than war and intelligence operations and how these operations, operating in a coordinated and unified manner, can secure and strengthen a government. Composite Warfare draws on the author's experiences and lessons in Central, Southern, East, West and North Africa where he has served numerous African governments as a politico-military strategist, division commander, division adviser, battalion commander and special operations commander. Contains 100 b/w drawings & charts, 50 colour & 100 b/w photos photos.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Composite-Warfare-Conduct-Successful-Operations/dp/1910294993
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:45 pm

a good review.
says it all.

"Michael Gross has written a thoughtful, lucid book about the dilemma of 'asymmetric conflict,' as when a nation confronts a terrorist movement or other insurgency that does not observe the laws of war and, more important, does not have a structure or employ tactics against which conventional military force is fully effective. To be limited in fighting such a group by the conventional laws of war is to fight terror and insurrection with one hand tied behind one's back; and, depending on the gravity of the threat posed by such a group, the question becomes how far if at all the nation should depart from the conventional rules of armed combat. The need to balance military necessity with humanitarianism, with regard to such practices as brutal interrogation, assassination, and disabling but nonlethal gas, is the theme of the book; and as Gross states in the conclusion, 'dogmatism is not the answer."
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Yknot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:32 am

A joke, (we the US) exercised what we called Guerilla warfare in WW2, today we call it terrorism because we are so soft and impotent that it's embarrassing. Why is not clear? As ex-Army this is absurd. We fight to win for the USA (our families) and should not afford any quarter, period.
Yknot

Postby Yknot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 am

Is that a measure of collateral damage in souls'? (granted there are some animals without souls)
Yall/ see the Syrian Pilot burn to death in the cage? I have to say, that's about as as bad-as it gets and my Son's will not offer no quarter in this century. Burn them in Hell!
Yknot

Postby michelle in alaska » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 am

your diatrabe is confusing.
what exactly are you b*tching about?
i think you are someone i know.if so, pm me.
if not, im sure someone here supports your point of view.
cheers and toodles.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:42 am

...and btw....g warfare is not 'terrorism'.
its smarter than that.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe