Europe: The End Of Migrant Rescue Flotillas.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Europe: The End Of Migrant Rescue Flotillas.

Postby RYP » Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 am

This deal along with the ten boats the Italians are giving the Libyans and the recent aggressive actions pulling back migrants to Libya makes the beginning of a new era. One thing not considered is who actually controls the borders now.

There are some seriously bad people along the southern border of Libya and sprawling camps full of desperate refugees are just what they need if the EU or UN pushes targets down there. I was in some late night chats with one of the Libyan commanders who runs one of the major checkpoints. Right now they don't mess with the smugglers and the smugglers don't mess with them. Along the Algerian side Mr Marlboro doesn't even let al Qaeda phase him. Chad has Boko and Daesh and Niger has AQIM and dribs and drabs of other groups.

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/politic ... 3ffbf.html

here is a cheesy map to make it all simple. Image
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: Europe: The End Of Migrant Rescue Flotillas.

Postby nowonmai » Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 am

Interesting - I hope it's true because the lesser of the evils is a magnet drawing people to make the journey which is what those flotillas were, evidence being that more people have died year on year since they got going. It provided false hope and was like a shot of adrenalin to the smuggling networks. Classic case of virtue signalling backfiring and damaging the very people it was purporting to help. But people got paid and it won't be the last time.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 pm

The Americans landed today. Well at least the Ambo and an Africom General. Libyan tend to take sovereign territory seriously. About half the migrants are there to work so there will be a little leakage but the Coast Guard and Navy have already shown how much they appreciate the money. The NGO's are suddenly surprised to learn that they are working in the Libyan SAR zone.
RYP

Postby grawp » Thu May 25, 2017 12:49 am

Sir,
Thanks for the visual aid.
Any chance you have the link for the complete map handy?
The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us.
But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity!

- Theodore Roosevelt – “The Wind & the Lion” (1975)
grawp
BFCus Regularus

Postby mb » Thu May 25, 2017 3:41 am

Who's funding this various bad people and 'rebels'? Are they self funded with smuggling people and oil and goods? Or outside funders of some form?
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:11 pm

just supply and demand.
RYP

Postby dogtanian » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Well, to me it looks rather more like 'Uber Schengen' service, than a legitimate rescue flotilla. A lot of the immigrants are being picked-up a few minutes after dipping their toes in the water. I imagine that one has to pay 'surge pricing' for the most efficient service level, but Mustopha Arab and his NGO friends seem blissfully unencumbered by EU Frontex.

The video below is made by a random Italian kid, but by investigative journalism standards, it's more informative than anything that CNN or the BBC have ever broadcast on the topic. My own solution would involve an RPG while the boats are unoccupied and moored at Sicilian port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4rYgJKo_w
"Truth is cool; but unattainable..."
dogtanian
BFCus Regularus

Location: Amsterdam - Douala - HCMC - Singapore - Wellington - Whistler

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:38 am

There are no Al-Qaida in Guinea-Bissau! They arrested two guys on the run from a neighbouring country, and now everyone's getting excited about Islamic extremism spreading there...

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/4-sus ... u-20160315
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:04 am

Perhaps no Al-Qaida, but I've been told to avoid it. Ferrying helos up that coast, EVERYONE advised to avoid Guinea-Bissau. I've had four friends quasi-arrested trying to bring aircraft through, and we were advised to fly low level off-shore and not to make any radio contact. We passed inland and made the proper calls and they asked us to come and land. We played the ole static trick, keying the mic on and off, and continued on to Dakar. I've ALWAYS wanted to do that!
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:53 am

Darcy wrote:Perhaps no Al-Qaida, but I've been told to avoid it. Ferrying helos up that coast, EVERYONE advised to avoid Guinea-Bissau. I've had four friends quasi-arrested trying to bring aircraft through, and we were advised to fly low level off-shore and not to make any radio contact. We passed inland and made the proper calls and they asked us to come and land. We played the ole static trick, keying the mic on and off, and continued on to Dakar. I've ALWAYS wanted to do that!

OK if you're flying I imagine it's a little different. It is still a major hub for cocaine traffickers, so light aircraft are bound to arouse suspicion! I hope to write a guidebook to it next year, so hopefully I can convince some people to visit as tourists!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe