Do we want a BFC Memorial Forum?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Memorial Sub Forum:

Poll ended at Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:58 am

Yes good idea - please go ahead
56%
No bad idea - let RIP threads go into the BFC archives
25%
I have a better plan - please see my comment below
3%
I don't care - do what you want
17%

Total votes : 36

Re: Do we want a BFC Memorial Forum?

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:20 pm

nowonmai wrote:I know, I didn't mean it like that, it's just the way we filter out the details. The world would be unmanageable otherwise. 71 years probably felt like the blink of an eye and all that life that could have been.

No, I know. I agree with you. We do filter out the details. I know I did until you reminded me that we all did.

One of my friends killed himself when he was 14. 34 years ago. You think about what could have been in his life and then you think about how 100 years from now to most people concerned he and I may as well have died at about the same time.

That and other things is why I never trust people who ask us to "look at the big picture" because if they really did and really believed in doing that themselves they would not see much use at all in doing anything. To the person who says "hey everyone, lets look at the small picture here since in the big picture the sun hits the Red giant phase and everything we are and everything we were will be completely annihilated and nothing in the big picture will give two shits even as the oceans boil and the mountains melt....so we really need a better brand of dry erase marker for the whiteboard." I would trust that person.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:54 pm

Kurt wrote:
nowonmai wrote:I know, I didn't mean it like that, it's just the way we filter out the details. The world would be unmanageable otherwise. 71 years probably felt like the blink of an eye and all that life that could have been.

No, I know. I agree with you. We do filter out the details. I know I did until you reminded me that we all did.

One of my friends killed himself when he was 14. 34 years ago. You think about what could have been in his life and then you think about how 100 years from now to most people concerned he and I may as well have died at about the same time.

That and other things is why I never trust people who ask us to "look at the big picture" because if they really did and really believed in doing that themselves they would not see much use at all in doing anything. To the person who says "hey everyone, lets look at the small picture here since in the big picture the sun hits the Red giant phase and everything we are and everything we were will be completely annihilated and nothing in the big picture will give two shits even as the oceans boil and the mountains melt....so we really need a better brand of dry erase marker for the whiteboard." I would trust that person.

Unfortunately I have always struggled with the essential pointlessness of it all, but you do have to go through the motions.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 pm

If nothing really matters, then pretending it does matter doesn't matter either, so I do not understand why nihilists get so pissy about it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby denise » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:46 am

nowonmai wrote:
denise wrote:In my case my best friend and my son's best friend.

In both instances nothing less than heaven will suffice.

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

Thank you most kindly - raising hell takes on a whole nother connotation when one becomes Christian.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:39 am

friendlyskies wrote:Creepy. I can't think of a good reason why it's creepy. But I don't care for the idea at all.

I can see why.

Here lies the BFC
Killed by Friendlyskies
And some fuckwitter-ee
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:45 am

Sri Lanky wrote:Yes,there will eventually be the day when the Black Flag Cafe itself will cease to exist. What will be interesting is;who will be the last surviving BFCer? It could be one of the originals and by originals I think you would have had to have posted at least once on the old board...or the BFC could survive generations extending through the same continuum for a hundred years or more. But, as flipflop states,who cares?...we'll all be dead.

On the otherhand,given the nature of our lives and the danger we experience (some of us anyway),perhaps it's not such a bad idea.

BTW:My bet is on Penta to be the last BFCer standing given her stubborn persistence. She will be 153 years old by that time.

Step forward ROB
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:55 am

nowonmai wrote:Bump. In researching the history on the 3rd Friendlyskies War, which she lost but the collateral damage was the destruction of her own base, I came across this cracker of a thread. Coldharvest's bangs and a credible mustache for JITW. I love cracking myself up after I forgot telling the joke.

Another four and a half years on, I just did it again.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:23 am

nowonmai wrote:Step forward ROB

Pft, who you trying to kid? Your identity is tied to this place more strongly than anybody save maybe Penta herself.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 am

ROB wrote:
nowonmai wrote:Step forward ROB

Pft, who you trying to kid? Your identity is tied to this place more strongly than anybody save maybe Penta herself.

Fetch!
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Who’s a good boy
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:Who’s a good BOR

Fixed
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:37 am

I heard that the server for the BFC was located in some shithole country. Can't we get it moved to Norway?
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Do we want a BFC Memorial Forum

Postby russlits » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Sounds like youre leaning towards the SDR to me
Is it what your heart says?
russlits

Postby nowonmai » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Here lies the BFC
Well what a shitter
But never mind there's always Twitter