Documentary on people who travel on their vacations to war

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Documentary on people who travel on their vacations to war

Postby RYP » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Who wants to be interviewed? It's a Netflix thing.

Hit me up.

RYP
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: Documentary on people who travel on their vacations to w

Postby AztecDave » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 am

does Tijuana count? Prospero Ano!
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:50 am

Getting a decent cafe latte on the Champs Elysees is a war these days. I am available for comment on that travesty.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby kinderdigi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:58 am

I have a photographer pal who spent two long term stays in Syria, imbedded with the FSA. He managed to get some sort of contract with The Observer while there. He currently teaches photography in NYC. If interested, send me an email address and I'll forward it. kd

From his work:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/ ... 1514327373
kinderdigi
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:55 am

ROB wrote:Getting a decent cafe latte on the Champs Elysees is a war these days. I am available for comment on that travesty.

Did you get swarmed by migrants?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby ROB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:14 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Did you get swarmed by migrants?

Totally.

Then a few weeks later I realised I had made everything up.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:50 am

Someday I am cashing in all this mojo, for dinaros. Just not yet.
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 pm

2 Charlie wrote:Someday I am cashing in all this mojo, for dinaros. Just not yet.

Fuck dinaros, sovereigns are where it's at.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 pm

nowonmai wrote:
2 Charlie wrote:Someday I am cashing in all this mojo, for dinaros. Just not yet.

Fuck dinaros, sovereigns are where it's at.

This site used to be full of smartarse financial gurus who thought gold was very silly and all yesterday, one of them its owner. How are those portfolios looking, long gone investor wizards? KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Surprise! While Bitcoin Crashed, Investors Poured Into This Asset
newsfeedback@fool.com (Sean Williams) Jan 25, 2018 Updated 18 hrs ago

Since 2017 began, no asset class has performed as well as cryptocurrencies. In fact, there's a really good chance that investors have never seen as good a single-year performance as what virtual currencies brought to the table in 2017. By year's end, the aggregate market cap for all digital currencies had increased to $613 billion from a starting base of $17.7 billion. For you math-phobes, we're talking about an increase in value of more than 3,300%.

Bitcoin continues to lead the charge for cryptocurrencies
Leading that charge, as always, was bitcoin. Although bitcoin didn't log the highest percentage gain in 2017 among cryptocurrencies, it's certainly among the best-performing crypto assets of all time. Let's remember that nearly eight years ago it began trading at just $0.003, and in December 2017 nearly hit $20,000 per coin. This would have turned a $1,000 investment in March 2010 into billions of dollars less than eight years later!

Image source: Getty Images.

Bitcoin gets its notoriety from being the first tradable cryptocurrency, as well as being accepted by more merchants around the globe than any virtual coin. It also brought blockchain technology into the mainstream. Think of blockchain as the infrastructure that underlies virtual coins and is responsible for logging all transactions without the need for a third-party provider (i.e., bank).

Also, bitcoin has soared as a result of a falling U.S. dollar, which hit multiyear lows against numerous global currencies. While a weaker dollar is bound to put a smile on President Trump's face, since it has a tendency to boost U.S. exports, it puts quite the frown on investors' faces since it devalues the cash they're holding. These investors typically seek the safety of a "store of value" when the dollar falls, which historically has been gold (or another precious metal). Lately, though, investors have been turning to bitcoin as that store of value.

Why bitcoin, you ask? The number of bitcoin tokens that can be mined is limited to 21 million, creating the perception that there is scarcity and finiteness. The same is true for gold. Given the over-1,300% gain that bitcoin delivered last year, it wasn't hard to convince investors to park their cash in bitcoin as opposed to gold.

Bitcoin is losing its luster to a considerably older asset
However, something really interesting happened recently when bitcoin suffered another of its mini-meltdowns -- bitcoin has plunged by at least 22% on 21 separate occasions since April 2013. Earlier this month, when bitcoin briefly dipped below $10,000 per coin and a mild bit of panic set in within the cryptocurrency space, sales of gold and gold coins surged, according to Bloomberg. Director Daniel Marburger at Frankfurt-based CoinInvest told Bloomberg that sales of gold coins jumped fivefold as bitcoin tanked.

The same is true of GoldCore, where Director Mark O'Byrne confirmed that clients have been diversifying away from cryptocurrencies and into gold coins and bars. Said Byrne in an email to Bloomberg: "They told us they were concerned that the massive price appreciation was unsustainable and they got nervous about it. We think increasingly people are realizing that these digital assets have much higher risk levels than the traditional safe haven asset."

Let this be a reminder: Bitcoin will never replace gold
Are you surprised to see investors abandoning bitcoin and putting that money to work in gold? Don't be, because bitcoin never had a genuine chance of replacing gold as the true store of value.

Let's start with the basics. First, you'll hear a lot of people discuss how bitcoin and gold are similar in that they're finite assets. In other words, gold is finite and scarce because what's currently on Earth (either mined or still in the ground) is all there will ever be. Likewise, bitcoin is a scarce and finite asset because there can be no more than 21 million virtual tokens minted. But this last statement isn't entirely true. Protocols dictate that bitcoin mining cease at 21 million tokens, but it doesn't dictate that those protocols can't be adjusted in the future to a higher token number. It's a finite total in name only.

To add to the previous point, bitcoin has forked into two separate currencies on numerous occasions. Since an 80% consensus from the bitcoin community is needed to move forward with major software upgrades to its blockchain, and that figure isn't always hit, new virtual currencies are spun off from bitcoin every now and then (Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Gold being more recent examples). That implies bitcoin is anything but a finite resource, because it continues to generate new coins via forks.

Second, the real-world uses for gold and bitcoin aren't even comparable. Gold has been used as a form of currency for more than 2,700 years, and while you can't march down to your local pizza shop and buy a pie with a gold bar, you can certainly turn your gold into dollars with relative ease. It also has real-world applications in the dental industry for crowns and filings, as well as in industrial applications as a conductor of electricity.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:50 pm

I'll be in Lebanon, Syria, Egypt and Israel later this year. I went to Afghanistan and stayed with Laal Khan in 2003, and was in Western Sahara in 2006. Do those count?
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby MJK » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:26 am

Good to have you stop by and remind us what this place is about, Crotalus.

Once I started following metals at KITCO's site I was intrigued by rhodium as it was listed on a sidebar with the Big Four(gold, silver, palladium and platinum). My metals merchant told me it had until recently been available only as a powder in glass vials but they now have the tech to compress it into ingots. It is used in automotive catalytic convertors and when I first noticed rhodium it was $800 an ounce or so. It is now at I believe $1620 a year later. A crash in auto sales seemed on the horizon so I expected it to tank but I guess the hurricanes totalled enough cars to keep it high.

Rhodium went to almost $10,000 per oz in the crash of '08. Nothing else was close. I see it as a big, dull grey canary that will soar to the heights as desperate money flees the markets before crashing down dead from the financial methane of the everything bubble.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Diamonds is where the real action is at.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby MJK » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:45 am

Phony scarcity equals phony valuation. Makes me think of Dustin Hoffman making Laurence Olivier eat a big handful of diamonds in 'The Marathon Man'.

Where is the market for those 'rare gems' as the SoyBoyification of our world kind of eats into the marriage industry? Where is the new diamond market?

Rhodium up to $1720 today.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby kinderdigi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:36 pm

RYP wrote:Diamonds is where the real action is at.

Diamonds don't x-ray!

Carbon based paint coatings (diamonds) is the material used to make aircraft, and other objects, stealth.. No Radar return.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... nd-diamond

https://www.popsci.com/technology/artic ... trum-light
kinderdigi
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 am

What are you looking for
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe