Do you miss it?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Do you miss it?

Postby Darcy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:27 pm

Do you miss the exotic places you've been? I don't miss the riots or being arrested or having guns pointed at me, but damn, I miss Africa, all of it. Kicking around the Caribbean ain't bad but if I could get back to Mombasa or Port-Gentile....

Rereading Hemingway's Island's in the Stream (read it in my 20s) and loved this bit....

"Now when he was lonesome for Paris he would remember Paris instead of going there. He did the same thing with all of Europe and much of Asia and of Africa."

"He stood there, holding the long, pleasantly bitter drink, tasting the first swallow of it, and it reminded him of Tanga, Mombasa, and Lamu and all that coast and he had a sudden nostalgia for Africa. Here he was, settled on the island, when he could as well be in Africa. Hell, he thought, I can always go there. You have to make it inside of yourself wherever you are. You are doing all right at that here."
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Re: Do you miss it?

Postby goat balls » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 pm

Mombasa? Really?

Is it the tusker beer with the extra formaldehyde in it?
Can you use other currencies besides the shilling? It was illegal and all these shady assholes that had to be plain clothes cops would try to sell you things but they'd only take dollars.
ive never seen so many cops being bribed. In broad daylight. They even hide that stuff in Mexico.

I got stuck there for a couple of weeks once. No way man. I can't remember if I found any good food there.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 am

I thought Mombasa was over rated. Same with Lamu. Nirobbery is always fun. Thst said, I think I have had enough of Africa and would rather Asia and Centeral America. Better food and not nearly as fucked. Perhaps I'm just getting old.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Darcy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:45 am

I was in Mombasa for almost two years, split in half by a few years in Tanzania. First time I had an apartment, second stint I stayed at the Nyali Beach and then the Sarova Whitesands, windows open sleeping while listening to the waves break. We got caught up in some serious riots, but I had quite a few local friends, and loved the beach night life as well as the shady haunts of Mtwapa, plus regular excursions into Tsavo, down to Shimba Hills or up the coast. I loved the place. I managed (and flew) an offshore exploration project so I was downtown quite often and ran errands in some of the dicier parts of town, but my memories are fond. I was detained at the airport upon landing from the offshore and accused of smuggling drugs and/or bringing in mercenaries to overthrow their government (no kidding, the airport manager went on vacation and his assistant who took over wanted to flex her muscle) but the apologies were superfluous when the actual manager returned. The entire time was an adventure and too much fun.

As for food, the Tamarind along the harbour is still my favourite restaurant on the planet, and Hunter's Steak house was amazing. I usually ate local grub though.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Do you miss it

Postby russlits » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Dear Salary,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Please come back to STAY with me.
You left in such a rush last month,
I didnt even have time to tell you about my plans.
Plz come back.......................

I MISS YOU..........................
russlits

Return to Black Flag Cafe