Documentary on people who travel on their vacations to war

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Documentary on people who travel on their vacations to w

Postby 2 Charlie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Not sure who taught you diamonds are not detectable, but you need to go back to your facts. X-rays are very effective detecting diamonds. Ask any major producer that uses X-ray sorting machines. But what would I know...
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 am

Dogs can be trained to sniff out diamonds. At 4 de Fevereiro Airport in Luanda, Angola, they have used them for this purpose on departing passengers before. Check this out: https://www.iol.co.za/business-report/c ... ds-1624748
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby cowboycraig » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 am

I was in somalia for four months after Delta Force got into trouble.
Was a vacation of sorts. Was in the military NMCB-40.
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Did anything ever happen with this?
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:27 am

I guess I'll answer my own question: yes it did, and what a disappointing end result! Seems like Dom Jolly, author of the book "Dark Tourist" is not impressed! https://twitter.com/domjoly/status/1021391325206401025
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:44 am

The Netflix series is a steaming pile of shit.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:45 pm

It really is.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:50 am

ROB wrote:The Netflix series is a steaming pile of shit.

I think it would be OK with some different branding and a different tone. David Farrier has the whole Louis Theroux thing down quite well, but it really grates when they hype up the danger factor while visiting not very dangerous places. Something more along the "Weird Weekends" tone would have worked much better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Theroux%27s_Weird_Weekends
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby kinderdigi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:29 pm

A short read with images.

The higher the Atomic Number, the greater the X-ray scatter. Diamonds are Carbon, AN 6. Not much scatter on a medical X-ray.. But may be seen. Diamonds are easily seen on some specialized X-ray equipment.

Myth busting – in the world of x-rays

Lino Piotto, Roger Gent, Giovanni Bibbo
Department of Medical Imaging Women’s and Children’s Hospital 72 King William Road, North Adelaide, South Australia 5006, Australia Correspondence: ltpiotto@adam.com.au

Abstract Have you seen the television show ‘MythBusters’? It was decided to carry out a radiographic version of ‘MythBusters’. The study involved the investigation of the urban myth about a female radiographer who accidentally x-rayed her hand, only to discover that her diamond engagement ring was a fake. To prove or disprove the legend, a number of natural diamonds and cubic zirconia crystals were radiographed. Sure enough, there was a definite and consistent difference between the resultant images. The study confirmed part of the myth that radiography can differentiate between a diamond and a cubic zirconia fake diamond.
More
http://www.minnisjournals.com.au/articl ... 07_pp3.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GZ9Rn29nJU
kinderdigi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ramius_Typhoon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:55 pm

Well, it was to be expected from Netflix to oversensationalise something relatively mild. Yes, there are actually people who go fight ISIS or shoot from trenches in Ukraine for fun, but these people are NOT the ones the team followed.

And regarding the migrants you get swarmed by when drinking coffe on the Champs Elysées, it's true, you get swarmed by Qatari princesses and their guards, Russian oligarchs' kids, new rich Americans and an increasingly high number of Chinese people... Europe isn't Europe anymore, I tell you!
Ramius_Typhoon

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe