First class is fading fast.......

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

First class is fading fast.......

Postby SW RANGER » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:41 pm

First class isn't what it used to be, at least according to frequent airline passengers like Bonnie Friedman. She's been flying in the front of the plane for years and has witnessed the slow and sad decline of premium service.

"It was never fabulous," says Friedman, a communication consultant who lives on Maui. "But in the last three or four years, it has most definitely lost what little luster it had. The planes are cheaply made, the seats are smaller, the bathrooms almost too small to get into — and I’m a small person."

In first class. Yes, first class.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/a ... 963518001/
Matthias : Definition of a scientist - a man who understands nothing until there was nothing left to understand.

Neville : So, there is a little light in the forest after all.
SW RANGER

Re: First class is fading fast.......

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Airlines in general have been going to shit since 2000 or so. Asian carriers tend to be pretty good though. Still better than travelling by matatu though.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby cowboycraig » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:55 am

Honestly at this point, if the plane doesn't fall apart in the sky... that is first class enough for me.
cowboycraig
BFCus Regularus

Postby Devlin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:06 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Airlines in general have been going to shit since 2000 or so. Asian carriers tend to be pretty good though. Still better than travelling by matatu though.

The cabin temp thing kills me though.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby El Pelon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 pm

I've been fortunate enough to have enough miles to cash in for last few years of trans-Pacific hops to get Polaris Class on United. The service is variable depending on the mood the crew is in. So far the Tokyo based crews have been consistently superb. The US based crews are a crap shoot. That said, I don't really care that much about the service, but one thing that has been a game changer for me is the lay flat bed on a 14 hour flight. They could keep all the food, unlimited booze, "Purser," and any and all service if I could just get that bed every time. I am not about to pay the 7-11K sticker price for the seat on our way to BKK, but I'll cash in miles all day long to get up front just to have the bed.

I will say that the Polaris Lounge in the airports is about as nice as I could ever hope for. A sit down restaurant, buffet, open bar, all kinds of amenities that come with the ticket at no extra charge (all food is included). Again, not worth 10K, but I'll take it if it comes with a mileage upgrade.

First class on short hops is a nice touch, but not really worth much hype. After having grown accustomed to 42 hour travel days to get to our final destination in SEA, a 6 hour flight to Germany is just a couple of movies and dinner.

I have enough miles for one more upgrade and then it's back to the cattle car. It was a good run, but all good things must come to an end.
El Pelon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:21 pm

I averaged 80K for years with free upgrades all the time (Business - very few flights have First AND Business anymore, though there's some, like Zurich to Dar es Salaam for $9000 USD on Swiss Air!). I love Business if I can get it. Now I'm working for the Trinidad & Tobago government and they get the cheapest ticket they can get, so different airlines all the time and different points systems so I end up with no status. I still pay for upgrades if its an over nighter and not too expensive. United is pretty reasonable. I get a Priority Pass every year so the lounge access is covered anyway, but I like the comfy roomy seats if I plan to sleep.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:58 pm

As much as I have traveled (not so much now but years ago) the only time I have ever flown business class is when I paid for it (short notice flight to the UK, and for some reason Business class was cheaper than coach).

Now my wife and still just travel coach, just us and our "Emotional Support Guillotine".
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe