I'm doing a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) right now. Get in!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

I'm doing a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) right now. Get in!

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:55 pm

Hello BFC,

I am on Reddit right now answering questions from the masses, in the vain hope of driving more traffic to my new YouTube channel. Please click the link below and Ask Me Anything!

https://old.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... el_writer/

Cheers!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Re: I'm doing a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) right now. Get

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:38 am

I'm too lazy to create a Reddit account but read thru it. Loved the story about the hungry hippos
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:12 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:I'm too lazy to create a Reddit account but read thru it. Loved the story about the hungry hippos

Bloody hippos. Caused us no end of hassles!

Oh, by the way ROB, I created a YouTube video called "How did I become a travel writer?" a few days ago, and you and Lee get a mention (around 2 mins 59 secs): https://youtu.be/sNWFHKArQNE?t=177

It's a grossly oversimplified version of the real story, but video was already 10 minutes long, so works as a good summary of getting into travel writing!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:45 am

Great stuff.

Yeah, I never "monetised" PB's cos I never felt comfortable making money on a site where basically a community writes for free. But that in turn limits the ability to pay. It's a horrible circle of life.

It's interesting though - I always thought of it as a springboard for folks who really wanted to get paid. Just like you did. And Rorrison a bit too.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:29 am

Liked the AMA and subscribed to the channel. Thanks for putting that all out there. Looking forward to hearing some of the background stories to how you ended up in some of the countries.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:48 am

ROB wrote:Great stuff.

Yeah, I never "monetised" PB's cos I never felt comfortable making money on a site where basically a community writes for free. But that in turn limits the ability to pay. It's a horrible circle of life.

It's interesting though - I always thought of it as a springboard for folks who really wanted to get paid. Just like you did. And Rorrison a bit too.

Well now you can setup things like Patreon and people who want to contribute financially can, but there is no obligation on readers. You could also look into selling some sort of digital product (or some items that drop ship) in order to fund the upkeep. Maybe cool photos from various places, or the easiest one which is stickers - like a PB version of Mr DP!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 am

vagabond wrote:Liked the AMA and subscribed to the channel. Thanks for putting that all out there. Looking forward to hearing some of the background stories to how you ended up in some of the countries.

Thanks for subscribing, I just got banned by Reddit's bots this morning. I guess they think I am a spammed due to all the links in my responses. Hopefully we can get that sorted out today!

Speaking of the channel, I need to script out something new for this week. Maybe an outline of how I'm actually going to manage this epic year-long writing process?! Watch this space...
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe