How is lockdown working where you are?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: How is lockdown working where you are?

Postby Kurt » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:57 pm

cowboycraig wrote:
Have one of these. Had if for years. It is rather badass. I like that you can pump it like 1 time for shooting targets in the house (wife loves that lol) or 10 times and straight up stop a charging Rhinoceros. Very accurate and worth the scope mount if you feel like it.

I often keep it in the get home bag. Very good for every trunk.

Have only ever shot pellets with it. Good way to crib some rabbits around town this time of year : )

Craig

I would only want pellets. The idea is to shoot a rat or something and not have it bounce back into my face.

The cats that I feed to take out the vermin have now befriended the possums. Its wierd they just sort of sit around one another hanging out. Not sure I would want to shoot a possum with one..yet.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:21 am

Crematoriums are backed up.

Deaths are about 1 person every 2 minutes from COVID-19 in NYC and my zipcode is one of the highest COVID-19 cases now in the world.

My guess is that a lot of people are going to be found dead in their house after this.

I am hoping a few things die after this:

Cruise Ships. They were floating Petri dishes to begin with.

"Wet Markets". Lets face it, Chicken wrapped in plastic after being dipped in a mild bleach solution is not so bad. We know where food comes from. The detachment from the process saved lives. If I hear another person say "Those city folks think food comes from a grocery store and don't even know what is involved in getting food on the table" I will shove hyper processed meat up their ass and say "Where did this come from? I don't even know...It must have come from the store!"

Dumb people in power. Jared Kushner, Trump, and Kim Reynolds (the Governor of Iowa). We had this belief that there were a wide variety of ways to look at life, at politics, at promoting the general welfare to secure the blessings of liberty but now we know. There is only dumb ways and smart ways.
Kim Reynolds is especially stupid. People are trying to figure out why she does what she does, as if they can solve this complex conundrum they can suddenly make her change her mind and then Iowa will go on lockdown like smart people are ordering.

But she is just dumb. Thats it. It is not more complicated than that, she is rump-stupid. She is 61 years old and it took her until she was Lt. Governor to finally get a Bullshit degree in Liberal Studies (not even Liberal Arts). That was 4 years ago and she has been going to "College" off and on since 1977. People who have college degrees are not smarter than those that do not, but people who spend from 1977 to 2016 trying to get a 4 year degree are stupid. Governor Kim Reynolds is crushingly stupid.

She should be driven out to Nebraska with a bag on her head and released into the wild. She probably does not even believe in Nebraska so there is a good chance she will never find her way back to Iowa.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:46 am

Yes, her. She’s a horrible person. Dumb as a bag of hair. And these churches with their greedy greedy preachers (can’t pass the collection plate if folks worship at home) and their staggeringly stupid parishioners; washed in the blood of the lamb is their immunity they do believe. Let them go. Go on to their megachurches and I hope they get sick and die. I’m sick and tired of them.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:47 am

when it's all said and done hoping for the same thing I've been hoping for all along the ability to work from home and the reestablishment of American manufacturing reversing the relentless decimation of what was once the middle class and their communities. In the meantime my business is booming and I've put in a cash offer on a cute place where I can grow flowers and not give incredible amounts of money I don't have to the Democrats because I actually bought into the American Dream and therefore am a stationary target at the rate of 15K+ a year in property taxes otherwise known as a homeowner. Yea we pay EXORBITANT property taxes because we have an airport which initially brought the high powered and their jobs here there and everywhere in the USA but now something not so nice - death and disease - anyway perhaps it is time for us to consolidate and move beyond the present paradigm to share the wealth within our own borders and rely less on some lesser countries labor.
Anyway I am and have always been for people who work because they can they should and they want to wherever they may be.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:48 am

as for people who accuse others of being stupid when they themselves may quite possibly be lacking in what is referred to as G...

what can I say put up or shut up.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:18 am

What does your business do?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:28 am

Last edited by denise on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:29 am

mortgage banking anyone with a job and a clue is refinancing and grateful that we remain essential.

then so is the local vape shop.

USAUSAUSA!!!
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:16 am

So although the returns may be lower the possibility of a payback is very very high. So there's that.

But not like a hot stock.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 am

Kurt wrote:Crematoriums are backed up.

Deaths are about 1 person every 2 minutes from COVID-19 in NYC and my zipcode is one of the highest COVID-19 cases now in the world.

My guess is that a lot of people are going to be found dead in their house after this.

I am hoping a few things die after this:

Cruise Ships. They were floating Petri dishes to begin with.

"Wet Markets". Lets face it, Chicken wrapped in plastic after being dipped in a mild bleach solution is not so bad. We know where food comes from. The detachment from the process saved lives. If I hear another person say "Those city folks think food comes from a grocery store and don't even know what is involved in getting food on the table" I will shove hyper processed meat up their ass and say "Where did this come from? I don't even know...It must have come from the store!"

Dumb people in power. Jared Kushner, Trump, and Kim Reynolds (the Governor of Iowa). We had this belief that there were a wide variety of ways to look at life, at politics, at promoting the general welfare to secure the blessings of liberty but now we know. There is only dumb ways and smart ways.
Kim Reynolds is especially stupid. People are trying to figure out why she does what she does, as if they can solve this complex conundrum they can suddenly make her change her mind and then Iowa will go on lockdown like smart people are ordering.

But she is just dumb. Thats it. It is not more complicated than that, she is rump-stupid. She is 61 years old and it took her until she was Lt. Governor to finally get a Bullshit degree in Liberal Studies (not even Liberal Arts). That was 4 years ago and she has been going to "College" off and on since 1977. People who have college degrees are not smarter than those that do not, but people who spend from 1977 to 2016 trying to get a 4 year degree are stupid. Governor Kim Reynolds is crushingly stupid.

She should be driven out to Nebraska with a bag on her head and released into the wild. She probably does not even believe in Nebraska so there is a good chance she will never find her way back to Iowa.

Wow. NYC does not sound like a good place to be right now. Are you now confined to the city or is it possible to drive out (possibly even across state lines)?

Medium just published an article titled: "COVID-19: To what extent is Tunisia able to overcome the crisis ?" and the short answer is: better than most of our neighbours, but not well enough to avoid maxing out our ICU capacity by early June: https://medium.com/@jaber.belkhiria/covid19-in-tunisia-to-what-extent-tunisia-is-able-to-overcome-the-crisis-dc4ed3e474b9

This chart in particular stood out:

So my plan is now to get out of here before the first week of June, when the hospital system basically collapses. I'm hoping Switzerland will have opened up their borders by then, so I can head to my partner's place there (she's Swiss and just got air evacuated back there from Central America). Not sure what I'll do if Switzerland keep all their land borders closed. Maybe some escape & evasion practice with the border forces, hiking into Ticino from Italy?
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Drive? I don't have a car. I am confined, I have not been out in a normal day since March 13th (not too long ago really) and I have not been outside of my front yard since March 19th.

The trick is math + discipline. More people encountered = more chance to get it so I stopped going out.

Buuuuutttt...I have food delivered. so my budget has taken a big hit. But my wife and I both have jobs so we are pretty lucky so far. Once the food stops getting delivered I figure we have about 40 days of food.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:20 am

Hospitals here are reporting a shortage of opioids.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:10 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:Hospitals here are reporting a shortage of opioids.

In some areas that is going to be really bad, as in an increase of Fentanyl use among addicts.

What is kind of interesting about this all is we are seeing what is and what has been total bullshit all along.

The released people accused of non violent crimes in NY who could not make bail. Why were they held in the first place?

The whole skilled labor vs. unskilled seems to be turned on its head. Turns out that cleaning floors and stocking shelves is actually pretty damn essential. Now if they would just get paid more (yep, I am prepared to pay more for beer and cheerios if needed) instead of having their employers do giant "Thank you" commercials or have GoFund Mes set up.

Truck driving....arent we glad we let Amazon set shipping terms for every shipping company so they had the choice of either going out of business because they would not haul for Amazon or go out of business because hauling for Amazon can only be done at a loss? If we had "Self Driving" trucks now we could have cities starve because someone placed human shaped cardboad cut outs on an interstate.

Anyone feel like making a burger flipping joke now? Not me, I made them in the past but I am never doing it again.

Influencers, if you know of them, make a lot more money than line cooks, mop pushers, forklift drivers and the list goes on and on. Anyone get helped by a makeup influencer during this? Newp. Fuck 'em . Time to stop paying attention to idiots just because they know how to pluck eyebrows.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:58 pm

Kurt wrote: What is kind of interesting about this all is we are seeing what is and what has been total bullshit all along.
The whole skilled labor vs. unskilled seems to be turned on its head.
We can only hope...

The work from home/not commuting thing cannot be put back into the box.
Kurt wrote: Influencers, if you know of them
Like camgirls?
I started making patreon contributions to some youtubers. Seems like the right thing to do, I guess I needed the push.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Darcy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:36 pm

They cancelled the fishing season here in Nova Scotia, so I have one remote spot that I can access via mountain bike. I have a cheap fly rod and reel and some flies cached in the woods nearby so they don't catch me going in or out with fishing gear. Strictly catch and release. Otherwise I'm watching Netflix and tying more flies, or shooting squirrels off the back deck, or editing novel number two.

It's actually working. Nova Scotia has a very flat curve and very few cases. I hope things start opening up and I can get back to work in Trinidad & Tobago early May.

Police aren't stopping anyone to see where you are going, but most everything besides groceries and pharmacies are closed.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe