COVID-19

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

srsly take care

Postby el3so » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:28 pm

Kurt wrote: So yah, I am cowering in place. My goal is to delay becoming corpse juice as long as possible.
But isn't becoming corpse juice patriotic? ;-)

Haven't kept up with the local edicts, mostly empty promises, sticking to the social distancing regs for (other people's) safety's sake. People/press/whatever have been clamoring for easing the measures, gov says it counts on citizens using common sense, you can't make that sh!t up.

Quite sane people are talking about not sending their kids back to school yet. I count on being on gov benefits 'till fall, biz is flat on it's ass but employer is publicly traded and has quite a bit of lobbying power so I probably will not have to look for a new job. Interesting times indeed.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: COVID-19

Postby sparrow » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:58 pm

Kurt wrote:Famine is always about distribution being interrupted.

Nailed it. And speaking of meat processing plants. What a godawful fucking job. Can you imagine doing that 8, 12 hours a day? It must be soul crushing. No physical distancing at all in this line of work while working the processing line. Then you get to carve off meat pieces off animals for 40 hours a week. Week after week. Month after month. Fuck.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby MJK » Fri May 01, 2020 3:07 am

One of the 'rules' set for Alaska's reopening is that all restaurants must take reservations for dining in; so that you can be traced if there is an exposure risk. This includes McDonalds. I know you will be famished by the time a table becomes available but don't fill up on bread before the entree arrives.

This will be the new normal if you cowards don't get out and violate these illegal dictates of quarantine for the healthy. As for a bunch of dead New Yorkers and Jerseyites, they were all gonna be blinded and driven mad by syphilis anyway. Get those migrants out in the fields and into those meat packing plants pronto. And get back to producing ethanol. The South will rise again over flat Mountain Dew.

Get cracking people! The Gross Domestic Product isn't going to produce itself.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 am

You really are dumber than a box of hammers.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Fri May 01, 2020 8:11 am

Always flattered to have you take time out from your busy day to hump my leg.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sat May 02, 2020 4:22 pm

I'm glad you're back, MJK, because there's something I've been wanting to ask a fully-fledged prepper. Given that this apparently as close as we're ever going to come to the apocalypse, how bummed are you feeling? This must be a bit of a letdown. You've spent sooooo much time and money stockpiling stuff and all you really needed was a few extra rolls of poo paper. All those people who didn't stockpile stuff, who you thought you'd have to fend off with with your piles of ammo, well they're getting on just fine. That must be galling. I mean, you must feelng pretty fucking stupid right now, huh?
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Wed May 06, 2020 6:06 am

That's a feeling that will no doubt manifest later when I reconsider the wisdom of engaging you at all. Having said that, I don't recall announcing my ascendancy to full fledged prepper. It is however wise to be ready for the unexpected. I have maybe 3 months worth of emergency food, 2 fivers of gasoline and 800 rounds of Double Tap ammo for my Glock 20(got a deal and it won't get cheaper over time). Also putting in enough taters for a maybe 200 lb harvest. So no.

You asked and I answered; now it's your turn. With all that is going on right now(imminent war with China, destruction of the world economy, Corona boogiemen in all their iterations, the collapse of food production and distribution worldwide and murder hornets inbound; just what makes you think that that suddenly the world is in the clear and 'preppers' have wasted their time? More people are killing themselves and each other globally than than have in decades and the same goes for starving so I'm not seeing the same things you are. If the power and water quit showing up at your place how long before you have to ask for help that may be overwhelmed I'm wondering...I'm gonna guess 3 days.

Cut back on the sativa. It can make you dopy in ways only others can see.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Wed May 06, 2020 10:37 am

LOL, that's funny as hell. If hoarding 3 months supply of food doesn't get you into the nutjob club, what exactly does?
snaark
BFCus Regularus

872 days, untold losses, yet people struggled through

Postby el3so » Wed May 06, 2020 4:23 pm

MJK wrote: You asked and I answered; now it's your turn. With all that is going on right now(imminent war with China, destruction of the world economy, Corona boogiemen in all their iterations, the collapse of food production and distribution worldwide and murder hornets inbound; just what makes you think that that suddenly the world is in the clear and 'preppers' have wasted their time?
You sure are seeing the world through red-white-and-blue tinted glasses. Try and relax a little. Maybe smoke some sativa ;-)
My € 0.02: preppers have lots in common with religious people. We are all entitled to spend our time, mental energy and money as we see fit.
The idea of self-reliance and a measure of distrust in elected officials' capabilities are things to be lauded.

None of the issues you mention can be solved by small arms fire, praying or not paying one's taxes.
MJK wrote: If the power and water quit showing up at your place how long before you have to ask for help that may be overwhelmed I'm wondering...
Depends on the season TBH. Given the urbanisation/pop density, it would of course be a disaster.
Figure I could manage for at least a couple of (fukcing miserable) weeks to live like a homeless person with a roof over my head if critical infrastructure fails and no action is taken, but seriously, this is very hard to imagine outside of a movie setting. Passes the time though...
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Wed May 06, 2020 4:46 pm

el3so wrote:The idea of self-reliance and a measure of distrust in elected officials' capabilities are things to be lauded.

Indeed. Growing your own potatoes is being self-reliant. Stockpiling non-perishable food and ammo is being paranoid.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Wed May 06, 2020 4:58 pm

snaark wrote:Given that this apparently as close as we're ever going to come to the apocalypse
You lack both imagination and historic perspective
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby MJK » Wed May 06, 2020 5:21 pm

el3so-I am not seeing this red/white/blue thing; all of the issues I mentioned are real and not limited to the US. I have been critical of everything the US government has been up to for years but in no way an activist on the subject. My pistol and ammo are tools I use up here in Alaska and I hope to not have to use them on anything other than paper targets. The problems that can be solved with my Glock would be keeping from getting mauled by a bear or stomped by a moose, not battling TPTB.

Where the whole tax thing figures in I do not know but yeah, I am behind and got no CervezaVirus check.. Also I haven't made any statements here as to my religious beliefs. You've been in the saner half of what occurs here at the flag so I re-read my posts on this thread to see if I could detect a hint of the things you mentioned...nothing. Still not quite sure how you came to the conclusion I am some kind of militiaman/non tax paying/fundamentalist Christian. But like I said, you aren't a troll like ROB or a twit like snaark so I am still reflecting on your input.....

Ahh, Mr. snaark...3 months of grub fits nicely into half a closet and even the US gov itself has been recommending folks set aside food and supplies for emergencies. I'll bet several other Flaggers have a couple of months emergency supplies set aside.
My guess is that currently more people are stocking up for emergencies that are clearly possibilities on the horizon than ever before. Folks like you however can't imagine tomorrow being different from yesterday so you will be even more of a burden in a crisis than you are here. And probably just as incapable of answering simple questions like the one I asked you. I'll bet you eat at McDonalds 5 times a week and live where they are putting a LOT of fluoride in the water. I bet the only thing you can grow is toenail fungus.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Wed May 06, 2020 5:48 pm

MJK wrote:My pistol and ammo are tools I use up here in Alaska
Dude, Alaska to me seems like a colder, lonelier version of hell but it goes a long way in understanding our different situation thus views on provisions of all sorts as well as relying on medical or law enforcement assistance.
MJK wrote:The problems that can be solved with my Glock would be keeping from getting mauled by a bear or stomped by a moose, not battling TPTB.
You might need more gun ;-)
MJK wrote:Also I haven't made any statements here as to my religious beliefs. You've been in the saner half of what occurs here at the flag so I re-read my posts on this thread to see if I could detect a hint of the things you mentioned...nothing. Still not quite sure how you came to the conclusion I am some kind of militiaman/non tax paying/fundamentalist Christian.
I made a comparison, I never claimed or believed you to be a fundamentalist NWO person.

I am however sorry if my statements offended you, this was never my intention. We can only learn by understanding.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Wed May 06, 2020 7:35 pm

You two are hilarious. You keep hoarding, MJK. I'm sure one day all that stuff is going to come in handy.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Thu May 07, 2020 12:48 am

el3so-No offense taken. I can use all the well intentioned advice and recommendations I can get. Always a pleasure to have you ride into this ghost town for a visit.

Mr. snaark- Let's chat again in six months, when the stuff not being raised and grown isn't on the shelves or in the cooler. You may even run out of soy milk and have to start shaving again.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe