Geetings from Lagos

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Geetings from Lagos

Postby Lost Boy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Yes, Nigeria is a really sad case when it comes to endemic corruption. The amount of oil they've been pumping for the past 70 years, they could have Western European levels of infrastructure by now. Instead, we get people like Senator Dino Melaye flashing the cash on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dinomelaye/

To add insult to injury, Dino Melaye is the founder of the Anti-Corruption Network. The irony is bitter.
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:05 am

Maybe they have a system to incentivize whistle-blowing where you get a portion of the cash the state retrieves if you tip them off...

Like Bradley Birkenfeld when he told the IRS what UBS was up to in Switzerland: USD104 million reward!!!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... TE20120911
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Maybe they have a system to incentivize whistle-blowing where you get a portion of the cash the state retrieves if you tip them off...

Like Bradley Birkenfeld when he told the IRS what UBS was up to in Switzerland: USD104 million reward!!!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... TE20120911

That is cool.

I wonder if you can get money for independent investigations? Tracing finances is boring work. Really boring. But it can be done.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:50 am

I was doing one of my virtual trips - to Nigeria visiting Lagos and Ibadan via Google Street Maps. Couldn't really tell where the rich people live. Are there any real neat places to visit in Nigeria?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:36 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:I was doing one of my virtual trips - to Nigeria visiting Lagos and Ibadan via Google Street Maps. Couldn't really tell where the rich people live. Are there any real neat places to visit in Nigeria?

The Niger river is really impressive but I would not just go to Nigeria to travel...I would go there to hang out with relatives and then have them take me to places.

It's one of those places where the streets and countryside themselves are worth seeing, but I would never travel there just to see it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe