How is lockdown working where you are?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: How is lockdown working where you are?

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:07 am

OK so I take this all back. It's early June and only 50 people have died of COVID-19 here in Tunisia. Things are basically back to normal.

Well done to the Tunisian government for taking rapid, decisive action before the first death occurred, and avoiding what is happening in the US and UK!

Ozymandias wrote:
Kurt wrote:Crematoriums are backed up.

Deaths are about 1 person every 2 minutes from COVID-19 in NYC and my zipcode is one of the highest COVID-19 cases now in the world.

My guess is that a lot of people are going to be found dead in their house after this.

I am hoping a few things die after this:

Cruise Ships. They were floating Petri dishes to begin with.

"Wet Markets". Lets face it, Chicken wrapped in plastic after being dipped in a mild bleach solution is not so bad. We know where food comes from. The detachment from the process saved lives. If I hear another person say "Those city folks think food comes from a grocery store and don't even know what is involved in getting food on the table" I will shove hyper processed meat up their ass and say "Where did this come from? I don't even know...It must have come from the store!"

Dumb people in power. Jared Kushner, Trump, and Kim Reynolds (the Governor of Iowa). We had this belief that there were a wide variety of ways to look at life, at politics, at promoting the general welfare to secure the blessings of liberty but now we know. There is only dumb ways and smart ways.
Kim Reynolds is especially stupid. People are trying to figure out why she does what she does, as if they can solve this complex conundrum they can suddenly make her change her mind and then Iowa will go on lockdown like smart people are ordering.

But she is just dumb. Thats it. It is not more complicated than that, she is rump-stupid. She is 61 years old and it took her until she was Lt. Governor to finally get a Bullshit degree in Liberal Studies (not even Liberal Arts). That was 4 years ago and she has been going to "College" off and on since 1977. People who have college degrees are not smarter than those that do not, but people who spend from 1977 to 2016 trying to get a 4 year degree are stupid. Governor Kim Reynolds is crushingly stupid.

She should be driven out to Nebraska with a bag on her head and released into the wild. She probably does not even believe in Nebraska so there is a good chance she will never find her way back to Iowa.

Wow. NYC does not sound like a good place to be right now. Are you now confined to the city or is it possible to drive out (possibly even across state lines)?

Medium just published an article titled: "COVID-19: To what extent is Tunisia able to overcome the crisis ?" and the short answer is: better than most of our neighbours, but not well enough to avoid maxing out our ICU capacity by early June: https://medium.com/@jaber.belkhiria/covid19-in-tunisia-to-what-extent-tunisia-is-able-to-overcome-the-crisis-dc4ed3e474b9

This chart in particular stood out:

So my plan is now to get out of here before the first week of June, when the hospital system basically collapses. I'm hoping Switzerland will have opened up their borders by then, so I can head to my partner's place there (she's Swiss and just got air evacuated back there from Central America). Not sure what I'll do if Switzerland keep all their land borders closed. Maybe some escape & evasion practice with the border forces, hiking into Ticino from Italy?
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:01 pm

Wow, impressive about Tunisia.

The US is getting worse now, but NYC is better for the moment.

One thing I realized is that the US suffers from endemic stupidity. Biden is right when he says about 15% of Americans are rotten people. In NYC I have seen a few people walking around without masks on. The only ones that make a deal of it are really, really weird.

There was a woman who seemed to be mentally ill leaning into Uber / Lyft cars and asking if they would pick her up without a mask...they wouldn't. So she paced back and forth talking to herself about how masks were made to show sexual submission.

Another guy was walking confidently without a mask. He looked weird. As he got closer I could see he was wearing short-shorts and a wifebeater and he was tanned with a mixture of real sun and spray tan, so he looked kind of like he was wearing tan camouflage. His teeth were whitened and he had "rich white guy hair" which is kind of like a mullet but slicked back (look at pics of Bernie Madoff for an example of what I mean). I sensed that he was one of those "Speedo guys" and was obviously not masked for some kind of vanity...even though he resembled a ham.

Elsewhere in the US masks are Liberal Vs. Conservative with the conservatives objecting to mask wearers and viewing the insistence on needing a mask to enter an establishment as a physical attack on them. An ex of mine in Texas had guy get up in her 13 year old daughter's face and yell at her for being a "sheep".

And no, Liberals and Conservatives are not equal in this. Conservatives are the bad guys in these scenarios and asside from Ohio's governor, we can see this on outbreak maps.

If I would not live here and if I were not wishing for something better for my country, I would totally gloat over Tunisia. Donald Trump's unintended plan for the US is to turn it into a shithole to stop immigration.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:01 pm

Kurt wrote:One thing I realized is that the US suffers from endemic stupidity.
If it's any comfort, other countries also have their unfair share of dumbasses.
Kurt wrote:In NYC I have seen a few people walking around without masks on. The only ones that make a deal of it are really, really weird.
I don't mind wearing a mask in stores, it makes me feel like a hoodlum.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:21 pm

el3so wrote:
Kurt wrote:In NYC I have seen a few people walking around without masks on. The only ones that make a deal of it are really, really weird.

Since I have hearing aids and regular masks tend to remove them (the behind the ear type) I get to wear a bandana over my face.

I love it.

It has triggered a deep satisfaction that I last felt playing "Cowboys and Indians" as the perpetual "bad guy" role I enjoyed so much.

I am going to get a wide brimmed straw hat to go with it.

Thinking of this one:

https://www.goorin.com/collections/mens ... 3651216436

That plus a back or red bandana plus shades. I mean, we might as well try to enjoy this.

Also, I gave myself a mohawk. I have found it has taken years off of my appearance. The mohawk part is all my hair that is not grey. It works. I am keeping it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 am

Kurt wrote: Since I have hearing aids and regular masks tend to remove them (the behind the ear type) I get to wear a bandana over my face.

It has triggered a deep satisfaction that I last felt playing "Cowboys and Indians" as the perpetual "bad guy" role I enjoyed so much.

That plus a back or red bandana plus shades. I mean, we might as well try to enjoy this.

Also, I gave myself a mohawk. I have found it has taken years off of my appearance. The mohawk part is all my hair that is not grey. It works. I am keeping it.

I am wearing a bathrobe so encrusted with bodily fluids (most of them mine, chill out people) that it could probably apply for citizenship. I mean I am probably the last person to give anyone fashion advice, but a mohawk AND a hat seems to be overdoing it.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: Re:

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:59 am

Kurt wrote:
el3so wrote:

Since I have hearing aids and regular masks tend to remove them (the behind the ear type) I get to wear a bandana over my face.

I love it.

Thinking of this one:

https://www.goorin.com/collections/mens ... 3651216436

Bandanas are awesome, so are buffs. Whilst cycling I am using one and can just pull it up if passing close to people. Although there is barely any active cases where I am Many of not most including me are still wearing masks in stores. Its becoming a bit of a habit.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:00 am

el3so wrote:I am wearing a bathrobe so encrusted with bodily fluids (most of them mine, chill out people)

I have to confess the thought of that is not making me chill out.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:50 am

A Mohawk haircut worked for Travis Bickle; it can work for el3so. Wash the bathrobe so your mom won't be humiliated if they find you dead in it.

Weatherunderground has a Beervid 19 portion to its banners and in Fairbanks it held for months at 99 confirmed, 2 dead in a town of 40,000 and a borough of 80,000. Now we are seeing a bump in numbers, driven by an influx of cannery workers/fishermen. Now it has 'skyrocketed' to around 136 positives and maybe 800 positives statewide. Still just 2 deaths up here. Nothing like the 126 million American deaths Japin' Joe Biden mentioned. Going looonng on popcorn for the debates....

Now if you'll excuse me I have to do my part to usher in the collapse of the patriarchy by coughing on outhouse door handles and cans of bug dope, the two most commonly touched items up here. The skeeters are EPIC this year; I let them fill up and watch them fly off in circles, gakked on Brilinta and Carvedilol.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:10 am

While we are talking about inept leadership, let’s talk about Cuomo - who ordered nursing homes to accept COVID positive patients. Where have most of the fatalities occurred? Nursing homes. Who is most seriously affected by COVID? Elderly people with co-morbidities - you know - the type of people in nursing homes.

The CFR for this if you are under 60 is in line with a bad seasonal flu. 0.1 to 0.2%.

In the past, during epidemics, we quarantined the sick and let the healthy proceed as normal.

When Trump put the travel ban on China in place, Democrats accused him of being racist. Now, you guys are all for shutting down the economy permanently. Remember flatten the curve? Now it’s wreck the economy so Biden can be President.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:37 am

Hi Tarkan. Hope you are keepin well.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby ROB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:24 am

Tarkan wrote:While we are talking about inept leadership, let’s talk about Cuomo - who ordered nursing homes to accept COVID positive patients. Where have most of the fatalities occurred? Nursing homes. Who is most seriously affected by COVID? Elderly people with co-morbidities - you know - the type of people in nursing homes.

The CFR for this if you are under 60 is in line with a bad seasonal flu. 0.1 to 0.2%.

In the past, during epidemics, we quarantined the sick and let the healthy proceed as normal.

When Trump put the travel ban on China in place, Democrats accused him of being racist. Now, you guys are all for shutting down the economy permanently. Remember flatten the curve? Now it’s wreck the economy so Biden can be President.

I see time hasn't been kind to your fragile intellect, Tarkan.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:48 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Hi Tarkan. Hope you are keepin well.

Stumbling into middle age, but it beats the alternative. How are you?
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:49 pm

ROB wrote:
Tarkan wrote:While we are talking about inept leadership, let’s talk about Cuomo - who ordered nursing homes to accept COVID positive patients. Where have most of the fatalities occurred? Nursing homes. Who is most seriously affected by COVID? Elderly people with co-morbidities - you know - the type of people in nursing homes.

I see time hasn't been kind to your fragile intellect, Tarkan.

Pot meet kettle. I see, in my absence, you've mastered the art of vacuous repartee.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:05 pm

Tarkan wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:Hi Tarkan. Hope you are keepin well.

Stumbling into middle age, but it beats the alternative. How are you?

Not as much travel as before but handling middle age rather well in England despite all the fluffy bunny, bed wetting, commie pinko snowflakes running amok.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Yep, Cuomo made a mistake with the nursing homes. And he also was a dick to Rhode Island when they tried to restrict travel from New York (which they should have been allowed to do) and he is a dreaded hypocrite by declaring a similar restriction on Florida travel to New York.

So the fuck what?

Seriously, the mild idiocy of Cuomo is nothing compared to the thundering idiocy of Texas and Florida. Do you want Full Dipshit or Dipshit Lite? I will take Dipshit Lite during a plague.

And the Dems accused Trump of being Xenophobic in General....which he is. Except for Russia, which he has a cheeto stained boner for. In fact he did Travel Restrictions on lots of places without Trump properties.

This is what was said:

“We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency.”

Not "Whimper whimper whine whine we are pussy liberals whine whimper and restricting travel to and from China is racist whine whine"

True, Low fatality rate but high enough to create puddles of unburied people in NYC two months ago. Literally puddles of human juice.

And, we don't know what this virus does in the long run. Some people have had a fever for two months, some have not gotten their lung function back. Some feel like they are constantly being pricked.

And the healthy never proceeded as normal. Only in dipshit world have they done this. In 1918 they proceeded with masks because they knew they might get it and they, or someone else could die if everyone did not wear a mask.

Do you really think this is being done to wreck the economy so Biden can become President? If so you are dumb. Just simply stupid.

Welcome back.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe