More Third Worlding in America

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: More Third Worlding in America

Postby Alphabet » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:09 pm

"Russia has interfered." Holy shit....There are actual and substantive things that can be leveled against Trump, but still pumping that "muh Russia" pony.

facepalm.jpg
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:49 pm

Bronco wrote: I think it's a bit humorous that the GOP, bastion of uncontrolled Capitalism is giving away money to the needy, which i pure Karl Marx philosophy. so they can keep their system afloat.

And you would have bitched and complained if the GOP hadn't done a thing.

You're so wrapped up in being a good little follower, that you can't acknowledge when a politician does something right for once.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:25 pm

Russia is attacking our infrastructure though. At least it is attacking the infrastructure I monitor.

So is China, Iran and North Korea.

Israel probes it all the time and does nothing else.

The UK probes it sometimes and sends a warning if it finds something...very nice of them.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Alphabet » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:48 pm

You (more so than I) and I both know someone can sit in Atlanta, and attack the US "from Moscow".

Is that definitive proof that we aren't ever attacked by Russia? No, of course not. Shit happens and just like we took over Ukraine, Russia and China are trying to do the same to us.

But this fucking paranoia over every single fucking thing being some plot by Putin is beyond old. It's like how some Dems rightly called bullshit on Bush scaring everyone down to MidWest small town USA into thinking Iraq was landing troops off Newport News, and Republican Guard airborne units were landing in the local WalMart parking lot..

We've had 3 fucking years of investigations, and I have more proof that the local cat steals birds out of the feeder in front of my house, than any Russian collusion. Keep in mind I am far, FAR from being a Trump fan. That's how fucked up this shit has gotten.

The Dems picked the wrong fucking hill to die on, and they doubled down on that by throwing Gabbard under the bus for an old, senile, creepy pedo. Gabbard being sane and logical and cool, and someone I would have actually showed up to vote for.

I'm not saying that Russia is the land of candy and unicorns, where everyone is happy and gets along......But if they installed a friendly govt. in Mexico, and started parking armored divisions there, like we are in the Baltics, the US would be losing it's collective fucking mind.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Alphabet wrote:Is that definitive proof that we aren't ever attacked by Russia? No, of course not.

Haha, that's fucking gold!
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:38 pm

snaark wrote:
Alphabet wrote:Is that definitive proof that we aren't ever attacked by Russia? No, of course not.

Haha, that's fucking gold!

Drop your verified knowledge then. We're waiting.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:25 pm

Alphabet wrote:You (more so than I) and I both know someone can sit in Atlanta, and attack the US "from Moscow".

Is that definitive proof that we aren't ever attacked by Russia? No, of course not. Shit happens and just like we took over Ukraine, Russia and China are trying to do the same to us.

But this fucking paranoia over every single fucking thing being some plot by Putin is beyond old. It's like how some Dems rightly called bullshit on Bush scaring everyone down to MidWest small town USA into thinking Iraq was landing troops off Newport News, and Republican Guard airborne units were landing in the local WalMart parking lot..

We've had 3 fucking years of investigations, and I have more proof that the local cat steals birds out of the feeder in front of my house, than any Russian collusion. Keep in mind I am far, FAR from being a Trump fan. That's how fucked up this shit has gotten.

The Dems picked the wrong fucking hill to die on, and they doubled down on that by throwing Gabbard under the bus for an old, senile, creepy pedo. Gabbard being sane and logical and cool, and someone I would have actually showed up to vote for.

I'm not saying that Russia is the land of candy and unicorns, where everyone is happy and gets along......But if they installed a friendly govt. in Mexico, and started parking armored divisions there, like we are in the Baltics, the US would be losing it's collective fucking mind.

There were multiple attacks on multiple fronts at multiple targets. Your own intel agencies (FBI, CIA and NSA) assessed this (among many) and openly concluded that the Ruskis were trying to elect Trump and fuck Clinton.

“We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election. Russia’s goals were to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump. We have high confidence in these judgments.“ - https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf

Now you could possibly argue about its effectiveness and I might even agree with you (shit, Trump was a 1 in 3 chance at best on the morning of the election), but the Ruski effort very much existed.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:56 pm

ROB wrote:
Alphabet wrote:You (more so than I) and I both know someone can sit in Atlanta, and attack the US "from Moscow".

There were multiple attacks on multiple fronts at multiple targets. Your own intel agencies (FBI, CIA and NSA) assessed this (among many) and openly concluded that the Ruskis were trying to elect Trump and fuck Clinton.

“We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election. Russia’s goals were to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump. We have high confidence in these judgments.“ - https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf

Now you could possibly argue about its effectiveness and I might even agree with you (shit, Trump was a 1 in 3 chance at best on the morning of the election), but the Ruski effort very much existed.

All those alphabet agencies swore up and down that Saddam had nukes and gas and shit that would kill puppies and kittens. People like you, rightly so I might add, called bullshit, and were correct.

When did the sea change happen? Because it wasn't politically expedient for you?

Now we have evidence of FBI agents who wanted to "take Trump down." Through their own social media. So, that isn't exactly a fortress of logic and fact. Is it?

My point is. This isn't as cut and dry as either side is making it out to be. In the context of my original post in this thread, it was about the screeching cow who was trying to connect COVID-19 to Putin.

I sat at a red light for 35 minutes today. Ok, it was probably 2 seconds longer than usually, but in light of recent events....I can be dramatic AF also, right?

Clearly, Putin fucked with that light.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:32 am

So given that you reject the assessment of US Intel Agencies, the admissions of the big social network sites, the assessments of several other countries’ Intel agencies, various books and even anecdotal evidence like Kurt’s, what possible evidence could be provided to change your mind?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:28 am

Wait a minute, is this Q? It's the paranoid, coked-up frat boy style that gives you away. How have you been spending the last year or so? Obviously not paying attention, cos apparently you missed the whole Mueller inquiry.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:05 pm

I thought it was JamesintheWorld
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby ROB » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:19 pm

sparrow wrote:I thought it was JamesintheWorld

Not enough Asian hostess talk.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:43 pm

Yes, someone from Atlanta could attack "from Russia" and Russians can attack from Atlanta.

There are a few things that are done to distinguish who is really attacking based not on location but what kind of location.

For example, the server here at the BFC (which I actually do not have access to) not only would have information saying that I am accessing from Brooklyn, using a well known ISP but it would also state what kind of operating system and browser I am using as well as Time Zone, language settings and plugins used on the browser.

If I set up a VPN at my house the headers would show both IP addresses. The one that is presented and the one that is in the background (my real one). So lets ay I get attacked "from Russia" but when looking at the raw logs on the web server level I see I am really getting attacked from a VPS Reseller using Hetzner's IP blocks. We subpoena Hetzner's rep in Canada and get their access logs and see it is accesed by an IP in Archangel Russia that belongs to a small telecoms company that owns their own dedicated /24 block. Similar access logs from other Cyber Threat intelligence groups show that block has been behind ransomware communication.

So we have an IP from Russia that is really from the Netherlands or Germany but subpeoned access logs show the IP is really from Russia.

But this is not a "Russian Attack" even though it is from Russia. It is by a criminal gang that may or may not be protected by the Russian government but the IP block has no ties to any company that has tied to the Russian State or to "Oligarchs" aligned with Putin, so it gets classified as Russian Origin, not a State Actor.

Sometimes the company that owns the netblock will have a connection and then it is classified as Russian based, possible State Actor. What is viewed then is what the attack was trying to accomplish, depending on what that is, the classification probability increases.

The Norks will do things like have a Korean Restaraunt in Prague own like 10 /24 IP blocks for a place that has one location and those IPs will be very active. Iran and China typically do not even try to hide their origins. The Chinese used to attack from Government owned netblocks in Beijing or the vast netblocks of the China Tobacco Company and they would stop around lunch time and then resume again.

Iran would mostly be from Universities.

There are some shitty INFOSEC companies that see an advantage in saying "RUSSIA!!! RUSSIAN IP ADDRESSES! OMG!!!" because I can guarentee, right now a Russian IP is attacking my internet connection at home, yours and the BFC's webserver. But it is not Putin doing it.

But we do have ways of discovery and classification of what is a state actor attack and what is not. It is not 100% accurate of course but it is more accurate than IP origin alone.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:39 pm

ROB wrote:
sparrow wrote:I thought it was JamesintheWorld

Not enough Asian hostess talk.

Definitely two very unmistakable styles of writing.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bronco » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:46 pm

"We've had 3 fucking years of investigations, and I have more proof that the local cat steals birds out of the feeder in front of my house, than any Russian collusion. Keep in mind I am far, FAR from being a Trump fan. That's how fucked up this shit has gotten."

You could read the Muller Report. There is a list of 35 criminals, all convicted, who were involved in a cover-up of Russian interference in the 2016 election. The only reason Muller did not prosecute is that he had no authority to do so. He was an investigator and presented his findings, which Barr obscured, edited and misrepresented, most of which said there was collusion between the Russians and the GOP. It just got buried and ignored. Luckily for the GOP, most of the Senate didn't read the report. Too many of the Republicans can't or won't read something as long as the Muller Report, much less understand it.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe