COVID-19 Travel Resources

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

COVID-19 Travel Resources

Postby Kurt » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Wondering who is banned from where.

Who will have a 7 day vacation ruined by a 14 day quarantine?

Any resources or links or comments should go in this thread.

Right now The EU is shit for Americans (as is Canada).

My wife and I want to go to Japan:

But newp!

http://www.moj.go.jp/content/001321982.pdf

Pretty much everyone from a country with an outbreak is not permitted to land unless you live there or have children there that you are separated from. Japan's immigration is strict but they still have this odd thing about not separating families.

With Greece, it looks like there is a chance to cross at the Bulgarian border if you have passed a COVID-19 test at your own expense.

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

But mostly, US is banned.

I think the only place the US is permitted now is the Maldives.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Travel Resources

Postby el3so » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:09 pm

Isn't this sh!t supposed to be kinda everywhere except maybe Nieuw Zeeland? Sucks about your holidays.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: COVID-19 Travel Resources

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:35 pm

Just flew from BAH to IAD via FRA and it was pretty bizarre being in the normally busy airports that are very quiet. I don't know what would have happened if my FRA - IAD flight got cancelled, as we can't enter Germany on our passport and my Bahrain residence permit was cancelled when I left so I wouldn't have been able to go back (I don't think, since they're not issuing visas on arrival right now). I have a KSA visit visa, but I wouldn't have been able to get there either.

Edited to add that we now have one of the most worthless passports in terms of travel. Thanks Cheetoh Benito.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Chimborazo wrote:Just flew from BAH to IAD via FRA and it was pretty bizarre being in the normally busy airports that are very quiet. I don't know what would have happened if my FRA - IAD flight got cancelled, as we can't enter Germany on our passport and my Bahrain residence permit was cancelled when I left so I wouldn't have been able to go back (I don't think, since they're not issuing visas on arrival right now). I have a KSA visit visa, but I wouldn't have been able to get there either.

Edited to add that we now have one of the most worthless passports in terms of travel. Thanks Cheetoh Benito.

What sucks is I am elligible for a Nigerian passport but I have to be married to a Nigerian woman for 15 years.

Foreign born women married to a Nigerian can get a Nigerian passport in 6 months.

Foreign Women = Good.
Foreign Men = Bad.

Anyway, we are at that point where my wife and I could travel more freely with Nigerian passports than US ones.

btw Chim...Lemme know if you are looking for security work. We might have some openings starting out remote and then working in NYC for critical infrastructure.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby dogtanian » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:39 am

This is the data used by airlines, when deciding whether or not to let you check-in:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

By convention, if the authorities of the destination country don’t let you in, the airline has to pick-up the tab for your repatriation.

"Truth is cool; but unattainable..."
dogtanian
BFCus Regularus

Location: Amsterdam - Douala - HCMC - Singapore - Wellington - Whistler

Postby Kurt » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:12 pm

dogtanian wrote:This is the data used by airlines, when deciding whether or not to let you check-in:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

By convention, if the authorities of the destination country don’t let you in, the airline has to pick-up the tab for your repatriation.

So if flying and hanging out in an airport is someone's idea of a good time, this may be their "golden era".
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby SRR » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:02 pm

A bigger issue is that many (most? All?) travel insurers are washing their hands on the whole international travel thing at the moment. So even though us Soviet Canuckistanis can get over to Europe in a few places, since we're still under a global travel ban we can't get insured. So you fly over, get covid or herpes or something, and you're screwed. I never had a second though about international insurance but I guess they're all going broke so here we are.

So my big international trip for the summer is to head east into another time zone to track down some obscure breweries. Apparently our economic action plan is to build breweries in every tiny mountain town.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

j/k dude, you were as svelte as suave

Postby el3so » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:29 pm

SRR wrote:head east into another time zone to track down some obscure breweries.
Thanks a lot for spoiling "fat Thor and the guardians of the galaxy" ;-)

re: insurance companies, they got the big buildings on account of the small print. Dunno about them going broke, figured they are pretty much the same as the banks.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Return to Black Flag Cafe