Bruh, working land will kick your ass.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Bruh, working land will kick your ass.

Postby Alphabet » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:11 pm

The "back in my day" shit really bothers me. Always has. My parents used to give me shit about my music, and didn't like it when I brought up that their parents thought Elvis was a sex crazed manic, singing negro music. Didn't like it when I asked why, because the method sounded stupid to me, and got well, that's just the way it always has been.

Same shit happened in the Marines when the oldies would come visit for a dog and pony show. You guys have it pretty easy with all this fancy equipment. Yeah? Did you carry a flintlock on Iwo?

Totally opposite approach with my kids. You want to play Super Mario 4000? Cool man, grades better be kept good, and there is a limit on how long you can play, then we go do other shit. You watch anime? Ok honey, not really my cup of tea, but if it interests you. Just be careful about what you're watching, because there is a lot of weird shit out there. I trust my children, because I taught them right. At the same time, they are their own little humans, and have their own thoughts, likes, and dislikes. They AREN'T me or their mother.

Result: They do their thing. I don't even have to ask if they want to go camping or shooting anymore. They've figured out the balance, and when they feel they have had enough of their personal interest, they come ask me if we can go out into nature this weekend. Just the other day, my son who has been hell bent on being a game coder for years, comes up and tells me that while he still hopes to be one, that maybe he'd better have a back up plan just in case. Had a similar encounter with my daughter a few years ago. Kids aren't dumb. They just don't want to be held back.

Generational bullshit is just that. I get pissed when people, for example, complain about millennials and their supposed lack of work ethic. No, you old fart, they just work smarter.

End rant.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:53 am

I have employed some of each generation.

The younger, the better their effectiveness is my experience so far.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:21 am

The only "Back in my day" thing I do is for travel.

Part of the reason why I do it is I cannot remember exactly how it worked.

In 1990 I went to Norway to visit my family. I had not seen them since 1980 when I was 12.

I remember going to a Travel Agent, getting a print out of a bunch of tickets. Writing my cousins at random saying "I am going to be near at the Cathedral in Stavanger on December 17th. Hope to see you there.

My cousins wrote back saying they would be there at the time I said.

3 months later we met and then they had determined who would have me stay with them.

In 1989 I remember booking a hotel in London by mail. I do not remember confirming I could pay or not.

In 1992 I contacted Bulgarian archealogists via mail again using an English Bulgarian dictionary from 1928 I got for $1 at a used book store. One met me in Burgas for coffee...and I cannot remember how exactly that was arranged.

This day and age is much, much better. Jesus just traveling using email back in 2001 cut the need to plan.

I am amazed any of us where able to leave the country on our own at all. How we did it is sort of foggy to me as well though little else is from 1989 to 2001.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Alphabet » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:00 am

How do travel agents even have a job?

Takes me 5 minutes to purchase a ticket from Amman to Beirut. On a phone.

WhatsApp....Boarding now, will be there in 2. Check. Copy, see you when you get here.

But somehow an entire industry built around the loser chick in high school still brings the marks in.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:08 am

Have literally never used a travel agent either.

Maybe I should try just to figure out what it is they do that makes things better...
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:10 am

Kurt wrote:This day and age is much, much better. Jesus just traveling using email back in 2001 cut the need to plan.

I am amazed any of us where able to leave the country on our own at all. How we did it is sort of foggy to me as well though little else is from 1989 to 2001.

I was looking for info on travel to Palestine and found myself on the Thorn Tree. Pelton was there hawking this place and that is how I found the BFC.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:44 pm

ROB wrote:Have literally never used a travel agent either.

Maybe I should try just to figure out what it is they do that makes things better...

The only logical response is that they con the random marks who want to travel from Iowa, and have literally never left their county since they were born. into needing some kind of "service".

Farmer who will ask for every single discount from a lug nut to 10% off on friend chicken at some buffet on Friday night, will just open up his wallet because his wife wants to see Rome and she saw an infomercial on some tourist package.

Could have spent 10 minutes online figuring out on his own, but that's the "younger generation way", and we can't have that. Can we?
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:56 pm

ROB wrote:Have literally never used a travel agent either.

Not even in the early 1990s? I never use one now. I do not think I have used one since 1998.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:07 pm

I have used one but only for business travel. It's quite convenient actually, but I'd never use one for personal use. That said there are lots of them still in business in Germany. I always put that down to the large numbers of pensioners who don't know how to navigate the internet. I guess the industry will survive only as long as they do.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:15 pm

snaark wrote:I have used one but only for business travel. It's quite convenient actually, but I'd never use one for personal use. That said there are lots of them still in business in Germany. I always put that down to the large numbers of pensioners who don't know how to navigate the internet. I guess the industry will survive only as long as they do.

My parents used to use a Travel Agent that booked everything on Orbitz.com

Then I showed them how to use Orbitz.

Back in the day if you were going to Travel overseas it was either go to the Airport and use the desk there or get a travel agent. Often the Travel agent was cheaper.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby roach coach » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:18 am

Alphabet wrote:We're putting in a range and a grass airstrip at work.

All I did was run a Kubota all day long, brush hog, fell 2 pines with a chainsaw, and I am nuked. And I'm in good shape.

Going to be worth having a few private outdoor ranges though.

Not gonna lie, I miss that kind of work. The office job during the pandemic has been a bit too stuffy.
..................__
............/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........./'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.......('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
........\.................'...../
.........'\............. _.·´
...........\..............(
............\..............\
BROFIST
roach coach
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:32 am

roach coach wrote:
Alphabet wrote:We're putting in a range and a grass airstrip at work.

All I did was run a Kubota all day long, brush hog, fell 2 pines with a chainsaw, and I am nuked. And I'm in good shape.

Going to be worth having a few private outdoor ranges though.

Not gonna lie, I miss that kind of work. The office job during the pandemic has been a bit too stuffy.

I love office work.

When I was a truck driver I would deliver to these offices (I delivered art work, but we handled everything ourselves,...no lumpers, no forklifts..from an 8"x8" painting to a 1000lb bronze, we lifted it.) and all these people were barely working, they socialized, they offered us coffee and donuts. There were women everywhere. One time I had a massive 2 floor multi artwork installation in Chicago that I did for 3 days. I worked non-stop and the office people worked like 3 hours out of an 8 hour day....tops.

They just took lunch whenever they wanted to. They went out for coffee together at any time of the day. I then realized I was a chump for doing physical labor in a profession filled with like 95% men.

When I finally got an office job I got the shitty chair no one else wanted, in the shitty location that no one wanted cuz they could peer over your shoulder and see what you were working on. But I did not have to put up with cops making a quota, weigh stations, piss tests, dangerous assholes on the road. I think in the first 1/2 year I was at that office I slept with every available woman there. I had no idea that you were not supposed to go out for a drink after work, have a few more and then sleep together. I did that when I worked at a resort with waitresses when I was a dishwasher so I figured: "This is what happens, single men and single women who work at the same place eventually end up fucking."

It was awesome. So glad I got out of physical labor when I did.

Sometimes I do miss driving across country though, but that is about it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:44 am

Office work, you mean like with a desk and a phone? A sit-down desk job. Fine for your thirsty & younger years but once old physical labor is better.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:29 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:Office work, you mean like with a desk and a phone? A sit-down desk job. Fine for your thirsty & younger years but once old physical labor is better.

I think you are right.

I wish I would have done it in reverse. Done office work from from 22 to now and then switch over to physical labor for the last 10 years of working.

I mean, I did physical paid labor from when I was 12 through college. Not sure why I did not pursue the office life then, but I didn't.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby babihutan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:11 am

Alphabet wrote:
Totally opposite approach with my kids. You want to play Super Mario 4000? Cool man, grades better be kept good, and there is a limit on how long you can play, then we go do other shit. You watch anime? Ok honey, not really my cup of tea, but if it interests you. Just be careful about what you're watching, because there is a lot of weird shit out there. I trust my children, because I taught them right. At the same time, they are their own little humans, and have their own thoughts, likes, and dislikes. They AREN'T me or their mother.

Result: They do their thing. I don't even have to ask if they want to go camping or shooting anymore. They've figured out the balance, and when they feel they have had enough of their personal interest, they come ask me if we can go out into nature this weekend. Just the other day, my son who has been hell bent on being a game coder for years, comes up and tells me that while he still hopes to be one, that maybe he'd better have a back up plan just in case. Had a similar encounter with my daughter a few years ago. Kids aren't dumb. They just don't want to be held back.

Generational bullshit is just that. I get pissed when people, for example, complain about millennials and their supposed lack of work ethic. No, you old fart, they just work smarter.

End rant.

Well done on the training of the little ones!! I was forced to do everything at gunpoint so to speak since day one which led to my ‘fuck it, I’m gonna do my own thing’ attitude. I am the opposite with my kids, but try to encourage some good time-tested old school values in them that seem to be in short supply these days.....like taking pride in whatever you are doing, no half ass shit, critical thinking, better to try and fail and experience as many things as possible, and lots of just free time to be kids and be silly little shits. Humanity has a chance if good parenting can survive.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe