Buying property in Lagos

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Buying property in Lagos

Postby Kurt » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:19 pm

Seriously.

I am.

It's a small plot of land near the airport and an all important supermarket + traditional market (open air, goats and stuff). Since we are still a COVID-19 plutonium shithole of a country Nigeria will only let my wife in there to develop it. When it is ready we will be renting it out.

If anyone is going to be in Lagos and needs a place in a secured compound close to shopping and the all important "get-to-the-airport-fast" type situation let me know.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Buying property in Lagos

Postby Alphabet » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:23 pm

Kurt wrote:Seriously.

I am.

It's a small plot of land near the airport and an all important supermarket + traditional market (open air, goats and stuff). Since we are still a COVID-19 plutonium shithole of a country Nigeria will only let my wife in there to develop it. When it is ready we will be renting it out.

If anyone is going to be in Lagos and needs a place in a secured compound close to shopping and the all important "get-to-the-airport-fast" type situation let me know.

I'm totally taking you up on that. I also hope your compound includes a helipad, because Lagos traffic.

Email inbound in a few days about what we discussed earlier. Sorry for the delay, we just wanted to have all ducks in a perfect V formation.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:07 am

Alphabet wrote:
Kurt wrote:Seriously.

I am.

I'm totally taking you up on that. I also hope your compound includes a helipad, because Lagos traffic.

Email inbound in a few days about what we discussed earlier. Sorry for the delay, we just wanted to have all ducks in a perfect V formation.

Totally understood.

I am relying on you to make enough there to evade the Go-Slow.

Its going to be a decent place, with streetlights, (!!!) security and hooked up to the laughable power grid but not enough $$$ for a helipad, but its close enough the airport (15 minutes perhaps but would not be more than 2 hours in Go-Slow unless Lagos was raided by herdsmen from Chad.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:06 am

K, Instead of reviewing an agenda for tomorrow I spent 20 mins of quality time with Street View and Lagos. Some nice areas near the airport (Ikeja?). There's miles and miles of undeveloped beach around Lagos. Lekki Beach could be the next Waikiki.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:K, Instead of reviewing an agenda for tomorrow I spent 20 mins of quality time with Street View and Lagos. Some nice areas near the airport (Ikeja?). There's miles and miles of undeveloped beach around Lagos. Lekki Beach could be the next Waikiki.

PSA: This intel might be dated. It's been a minute since I've been there. Ikeja is hit/miss. There are some very nice places, especially around the air base. Nigerian version of the FAA (There are 3, believe it or not. NCAA, NAMA and FAAN ) is HQ there, and a lot of their employees live in (very nice) compounds there. The base is also 1st world military clean. Legit, the Nigerian AF has their shit together, at least dog and pony in the capital. The kids growing up there more often than not attend Oxford. I've been at gatherings with some very, very smoking hot Nigerian girls, who if you closed your eyes and just listened, you'd think they were Brits. The shopping malls are packed with hot chicks.

That being said, 2 blocks over, you're worrying about your last tetanus shot by just looking at things. I could say the same for most of south Florida.

Airport Road is typical 3rd world shit show. I got to run code 3, in diplo convoy most of the time, and no one gave a fuck. But there are also little hidden gems. I stayed at a fucking amazing place just off it, run by Lebanese Druze. The booze flowed, and Bundesliga ran 24/7. Kinda sketchy because it was 2 blocks away from an oil depot, and we've all seen what happens when Nigerians and oil are mixed.

Victoria Beach is the place to sun and surf in Lagos, but from the airport to there? Bro, either accept 8-9 hours in traffic, or make friends with a helo pilot. No joke. Lagos traffic is a fuck show.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Update:

We pick out our plot next week.

If you need a place to stay after that, bring a tent and be sure to bribe someone at the gatehouse. Not sure when we are going to build it out yet.

Imagine camping in Lagos?

Man, that would be really something.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:22 am

Kurt wrote:Imagine camping in Lagos?

I guess bring the Deep Woods Off to ward of malaria or dengue, or maybe not. Actually the more I think about it the more intriguing it sounds.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:52 am

Kurt wrote:Update:

If you need a place to stay after that, bring a tent and be sure to bribe someone at the gatehouse. Not sure when we are going to build it out yet.

A BFC piss up perhaps?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:08 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
Kurt wrote:Update:

A BFC piss up perhaps?

That would look like a pinata full of naira over there.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby denise » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:42 am

Live from Lagos...

I like it.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:02 am

I'd never visit you in NYC for a meet-up Kurt, but Africa? That'll work.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby RYP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:10 am

That's some brave shit.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby el3so » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:23 am

I remember ordering, reading and enjoying your book Come Back Alive. It made so much sense.
I figure travelling for a job or to visit a friend, albeit one I only know as being a considerate moderator of the message board you, RYP, pay for, will be worth any and all risk involved. Me being real, those risks mostly involve hangovers.

edited: guess RYP was responding to Kurt instead of me, frowny-embarrassed face. Yo Pelton, can you set me up with shivers?
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Kurt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:23 pm

We just picked our plot.

That area is about as brave as buying a condo in Florida.

But getting from the airport to there? That was safer than it was by the time the sale went through.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe