This is not a dangerous question, but I’ll ask it anyway.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

This is not a dangerous question, but I’ll ask it anyway.

Postby seektravelinfo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm

Who roller skates? Quads or blades?
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Re: This is not a dangerous question, but I’ll ask it anyway

Postby Kurt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Not I.

I would sometimes skateboard but then a younger (like a few years younger) friend of mine fell while doing it and his 48 year old bones had a hell of a time knitting back together.

So, not anymore.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Alphabet » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:09 am

Not near enough info.

Outfit?

Quads require short shorts, tube top and high socks. Knee pads. Free flowing pig tails.

Blades require flared low rise jeans, Adidas track jacket, and tube top. Long, straight hair under a beanie.

The constant here is tube top.

+10 damage and an additional roll for save if you actually pull it off and aren't just fronting.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:45 pm

[quote="Alphabet"]Not near enough info.

Outfit?

Quads require short shorts, tube top and high socks. Knee pads. Free flowing pig tails.

Blades require flared low rise jeans, Adidas track jacket, and tube top. Long, straight hair under a beanie.

The constant here is tube top.

+10 damage and an additional roll for save if you actually pull it off and aren't just fronting.[/quote]

Ha. I’ll dress Amish. Or wear a Browns hoodie, which is like camouflage in Cleveland because it blends in everywhere. And I’ll probably fall down a lot, but wearing a Browns hoodie no matter, as people are used to the Browns falling down hahahahaha.

Alas, I’ve never learned to skate. I blame my parents, while they were Okies they also had a bit of that WASP snobbiness, or maybe because they were Okies were somewhat suspect of what they called “rough people”, as the State of OK pretty much got started by the type, so THAT ONE TIME that I went to Troys Roller Rink in Little Rock when I was 11, and they looked around when they came to pick me up, and once in the car said “you’re not going back there”. Why, I ask. “Too many rough people. Shady. Creepy.” Oh, those were just the hoods and greasers, I told them. I just thought mother & daddy were being classist. Thinking about it though, parents are generally right when their gut tells them to remove their 11 year old daughter from an environment.

So, my mother bought us skateboards. This was the late ‘60’s and skateboards weren’t really a thing yet Yet somehow in Arkansas she found skateboards, and we had a blast with those. All day long. We’d arrange rocks down the middle of the street on the hill we lived on and slalom. We roamed the streets with those things. But then my mother read an article that kids were breaking their bones from skateboarding and she took them away. I wish she had not done that.

So now I have a strategy. My grandson is 4 years old and fun to hang with. He will be my wingman for roller skating lessons. We will take classes commencing 1st October weekend. Found a mom and pop roller rink in a little town close to here. Visited it yesterday. The lady who runs it told me blades are easier than quads, but quads are better. She puts those having difficulty in blades. I guess blades are the short bus of skates. I hope that I won’t have to suffer that humiliation of being demoted to blades.

I like to think that I am not yet too brittle in my bones for skating. And falling. And falling. This skate-lady that I talked to yesterday was in her ‘70’s, she looked damn good; fit and strong, great posture. I think if I had asked her about fracture risk she would have rolled her eyes.

Now, wasn’t this a nice post? I’ll work on that outfit, Alphabet. Some kind of slutty Amish roller-derby fusion. No flares tho, risk tangling in the wheels. Bell bottom jeans always used to make me trip, and that was just from walking.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby The Turd Polisher » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:48 am

when it comes to So Cal blading, no better story than Slomo….

Slomo: The Man Who Skated Right Off the Grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn87-mcnoVc
"Beyond our ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."
Rumi, 13th-century Persian poet
The Turd Polisher
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:22 am

^ I'm trying to slide into Seeks' DMs, and BFC has to just fag it up. Sigh.

Stay on target.................Keep thinking about Seeks in the aforementioned outfit.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:26 am

If you find quads, please let me know where. My daughter is trying to find some.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:44 am

seektravelinfo wrote:
Alphabet wrote:
Now, wasn’t this a nice post? I’ll work on that outfit, Alphabet. Some kind of slutty Amish roller-derby fusion. No flares tho, risk tangling in the wheels. Bell bottom jeans always used to make me trip, and that was just from walking.

Are you a witch? (That would be super horny cool, btw.) Because you are making me re-think my hard line on never getting serious with a girl again. ;P.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:07 am

I love skating - especially roller skating - ice skating is amazing too!! roller blading not so much for me. Like old leather bowling shoes roller rink roller skates are the most comfortable shoes you will ever wear especially if you've ever worn high heels or toe shoes and who hasn't.

So much fun.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe